Flash Update Bad

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
troothteller

Flash Update Bad

Post by troothteller »

This is version 2.46 on Windows 7 64-Bit. A new Flash Player update became available today; and like always I apply the update in all my browsers. However, in SeaMonkey it causes both freezing and buffering. In fact, I cannot even type on this page without that happening. Upon closing I will reopen with addons disabled, the way I prefer to use both Firefox and SeaMonkey. Good God! I am probably going to have to use Task Manager to close out of this. Before posting I tried to close the email client portion of SeaMonkey; and it is still busy.
DanRaisch

Re: Flash Update Bad

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support.

The Flash Player update doesn't come from SeaMonkey so any such problems would not represent a bug in SeaMonkey.
See the post by dfoulkes in this thread -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14754176 The OP was in regard to Firefox but the solution is not Firefox specific and could work for SeaMonkey as well.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I applied dfoulkes post. Already having an uninstaller, I removed Flash Player and installed it again with the same installer I had before. Still, I have the same problem. My plugins were still enabled. Now, to open this thread, I went into Safe Mode, but was not in Safe Mode when displaying the problems. Also, I see ads where I never saw them before, even on this page.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you referring to the specific Adobe uninstaller for Flash or some generic uninstaller utility?
Not sure what editing this thread has to do with Flash. I don't find any Flash elements necessary to post on this page.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

DanRaish, I began this thread here; therefore, if it does not belong on this page, then some moderator should move it. If you don't want me to respond here, then you have not identified properly where I should respond. You did not advise me to respond anywhere else. I am having enough trouble with SeaMonkey that, like Nero, I would likely consider using something else due to bad experiences on forums.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

troothteller wrote:This is version 2.46 on Windows 7 64-Bit...
troothteller wrote:... A new Flash Player update became available today; and like always I apply the update in all my browsers. However, in SeaMonkey it causes both freezing and buffering ...
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
therube

Post by therube »

What version of Flash do you have installed (about:plugins)?
freezing and buffering. In fact, I cannot even type on this page without that happening
Does Flash have any bearing with this forum?
Is Flash actually in use for you when you visit this forum?

Or is Flash in use in some other window/tab that you have open?

Why not disable Flash in Addons Manager & see how things react that way?

I will reopen with addons disabled, the way I prefer to use both Firefox and SeaMonkey
"Addons disabled", as in Safe Mode?
If so, while it may be "fine" to run in Safe Mode, running in Safe Mode it isn't particularly meant to be done permanently.
I went into Safe Mode ... I see ads where I never saw them before, even on this page
Safe Mode disable extensions. One of your extensions may have been blocking ads on this site.

Safe Mode
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

troothteller wrote:DanRaish, I began this thread here; therefore, if it does not belong on this page, then some moderator should move it. If you don't want me to respond here, then you have not identified properly where I should respond. You did not advise me to respond anywhere else. I am having enough trouble with SeaMonkey that, like Nero, I would likely consider using something else due to bad experiences on forums.
You're totally misinterpreting here. I wasn't suggesting that you not post here but only noting that, as there is no Flash element on this page, your statement that " In fact, I cannot even type on this page without that happening" is confusing me. If there is no Flash element to be displayed, how does a problem typing on this page relate to a problem with Flash player?
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

To answer therube, I rolled back to Flash Player version 27.0.0.130 after 27.0.0.159 became too much of a problem. With everything freezing up and buffering, I do not know what is happening. I am waiting for a response from someone at Adobe. Yesterday, I learned that Flash Player is somewhere inside Adobe Reader; and lately I have had some problems opening PDF documents, not just email attachments but also PDF documents I had long ago downloaded to the computer. They were causing such freezing that I designated an alternative PDF reader as default besides rolling back to the previous Flash Player. Now I have two questions for this forum: 1) If it is so important to update SeaMonkey, then why didn't the Check For Updates option display a notification of a new version? and 2) If it is so detrimental to have this update, why didn't someone on the forum advise me to do that before swapping versions of the same Flash Player update?
James

Post by James »

troothteller wrote:Also, I see ads where I never saw them before, even on this page.
if you mean the Google Ads on top then that is normal if you are not doing any form of ad blocking. The mozillaZine site is independent of Mozilla and is owned/run by one generous individual so the ads helps with the costs. The Flash Player Plugin is not used for anything on forums.mozillazine.org http://www.mozillazine.org/about/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MozillaZine

Mozilla has had their own support forum for desktop Firefox (since as early as 2007) and later on for other things at support.mozilla.org including more recently Thunderbird even though it is not a Mozilla product anymore and the suite SeaMonkey is being done by a community for a long time now..
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

With everything freezing up that shows on the computer, I do not know what is happening. The same freezing and buffering occurred in my Firefox too.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I learned that Flash Player is somewhere inside Adobe Reader;
Please post the URL of the site where you found that information.
James

Post by James »

DanRaisch wrote:
I learned that Flash Player is somewhere inside Adobe Reader;
Please post the URL of the site where you found that information.
As the Flash Player and Adobe Reader are two separate Adobe products.

The confusion could be from the Adobe Reader and Acrobat including Flash Player to render Flash in PDFs, PDF Portfolios, and other features. However recently Adobe Reader and Acrobat no longer include Flash Player, and features that require Flash now leverage the machine’s local copy of Flash.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/f ... eader.html
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Here's where I learned about Flash being part of Adobe Reader; and it says the same about Microsoft Office: https://www.flashtester.org/
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But that article states that there is an embedded Flash player in Adobe Reader so it would not matter what version of Flash Player was installed under Windows for IE or Firefox. Nor could a user uninstall the embedded player. "Updating Flash for Adobe Reader" would mean updating Adobe Reader. Updating Flash for IE or Firefox would be an entirely separate process.