Firefox will not start, have exhausted all published fixes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
therube

Re: Firefox will not start, have exhausted all published fix

Post by therube »

I have fixed the image. Is it viewable now?
No.
The only way to "fix" the issue - so that a hotlinked image works again, is to pay crapobucket.
(Can you say, extortion.)
(Though there are other image hosters ;-).)
OK, it is there now. So either something change in the interim or just stale cache.

Oh, & we have two posters.
Last edited by therube on October 14th, 2017, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

@Johnny
you are mixing this thread up with your problem - not nice, please start your own thread.
so my answers are only for eldubya!
Brummelchen, thanks, but I had already tried your suggestions and they didn't help.
so i assume system culprit, sorry, there is no other solution.

AdwCleaner AdwCleaner Download
Insert [Report] here, then [Cleanup]

OTL for system informationen
OTL - OTLogfile by Oldtimer

download and following options
+ Scan all
+ skip Microsoft files
+ LOP
+ Purity
+ aktivate all "Safelist"
+ outpout: standard
"SCAN"

Insert OTL.txt/EXTRAS.txt here -> http://pastebin.com/ and provide the links
although is a german program it is easy to use, please do!
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

eldubya wrote:Good question. Yes, Windows Firewall has Firefox checked for both public and private. And my Avast antivirus is the free version so it doesn't have a firewall.
I had a similar problem with Firefox and Kaspersky. Try to turn Avast off. Make sure there are no Avast-related processes in Task Manager, then launch Firefox.
Sorry for my poor English.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

but avast has a sandbox which is not always copatible to firefox feature. i also mentioned the display driver.

if firefox crashes but offers itself no crash-rep go here:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER"
in some sub-folder staring with "firefox..." there exist a DMP file to analyse - zip and upload!
therube

Post by therube »

@BJC, you have a few firefox.exe are are using RAM.
Suspect that those are zombies, hung on FF shutdown.

(Because of that hang) subsequent attempts to open FF resulted in the accumulated 2K entries.
If you kill all FF processes, are you able to start FF - once?
And if you then Quit that, do you find that FF has (again) hung (as a Process) in memory?

(Oh, oh, & I see you've moved to imgur, instead of crapobucket.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BigJohnnyCool

Post by BigJohnnyCool »

therube wrote:@BJC, you have a few firefox.exe are are using RAM.
Suspect that those are zombies, hung on FF shutdown.

(Because of that hang) subsequent attempts to open FF resulted in the accumulated 2K entries.
If you kill all FF processes, are you able to start FF - once?
And if you then Quit that, do you find that FF has (again) hung (as a Process) in memory?

(Oh, oh, & I see you've moved to imgur, instead of crapobucket.)
Yeah. I found an alternative, per Reflective's suggestion. I didn't know Photobucket had became such crap after so long...

Anyways, is this what "hanging" means with Firefox? Even after I kill all the FF processes, FF still won't start unless I click on an outside link several times over.

(Sorry, I'm a noob at this...)
eldubya

Post by eldubya »

Got frustrated with not being able to identify the problem. So I tried a Windows System Restore to a date 3 days before the Firefox issues came up. I suspect the Firefox profile is corrupted, but I can't identify what file or files are the problems.

1. Ran Win 10 System Restore. Got a notice from Windows that the restore was not complete as a (unidentified) file could not be accessed. Windows suggested antivirus may have blocked the restore process.
2. I disabled Avast Antivirus.
3. Ran another system restore. Got the same message, restore not complete because a file was blocked.
4. Ran Malwarebytes. No issues.
5. Ran an Avast boot scan. No issues.

I still can't get Firefox to start.
BigJohnnyCool

Post by BigJohnnyCool »

Brummelchen wrote:@Johnny
you are mixing this thread up with your problem - not nice, please start your own thread.
With all due respect, I was under the impression that our problems were one in the same, which they kinda/sorta are.

Sorry if my problem intertwined with his, but are they really that different to warrant a different thread altogether? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm just skeptical since I'm new here.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

@eldubya - anyone in your neighborhood to help you out?
system restore is not alway reliable - from my experience since xp. it can help out when system is not much changed.

are you able to start windows in safe mode?
START > execute > MsConfig.exe -> Tab "Start" -> safe mode
dont forget to disable when running safe mode

try system restore again when in (windows) safe mode

@Johnny - it may not be logical for you but although it might seem the same issue in most cases it is not.
i am pretty sure there is a referer or hint in the faq and forum rules, someone else pointed that out last week to another member.
if you refer to same issues you can do that with a link to it.

if you think your issue may similar - have you tried my options to find a solution?
there exists an official page to find hint when firefox is hanging
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... responding

from my experience its either a plugin - your user agent v56 points out flash - or in many cases its a security software which prevents firefox from writing files back.
eldubya

Post by eldubya »

Brummelchen,

I started Windows in safe mode and ran the restore. It was successful. Danke. But this time I finally got a clue from Firefox: "Couldn't load XPCOM." When googling the issue I see several results pages about XPCOM and many are dated. Any suggestions on how best to do it? Thanks for providing adult supervision on all this...
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Reflective wrote:You're seeing that message from photobucket due to a change in the way they host images on third party sites now. See this ghacks article which includes the same image that you posted for the fix: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photo ... ed-images/
BigJohnnyCool wrote:I have fixed the image. Is it viewable now?
Yes, no problem there now.

The official view when faced with this problem is to check your security software. See this troubleshooting article: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... r-updating
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

^^^^ Not by any chance running Windows Defender AND Avast are you ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

BigJohnnyCool wrote: ...Yeah. I found an alternative, per Reflective's suggestion. I didn't know Photobucket had became such crap after so long...
(OT--they want $400/year now to host photos. Watch for their demise soon.)
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
eldubya

Post by eldubya »

Here's an update of my situation after trying everybody's suggestions:

1. Started in safe mode, ran a Windows system restore. Got the "Couldn't load XPCOM" error message.

2. Tried LIMPET235's suggestion by following instructions at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_ ... c_problems and Firefox still will not start. And I do not get the XPCOM error now.

3. Tried starting Firefox with Avast disabled. No success.

@Brummelchen:
You wrote,
if firefox crashes but offers itself no crash-rep go here:
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER"
in some sub-folder staring with "firefox..." there exist a DMP file to analyse - zip and upload!
There are several WER files with crash reports. Do you mean I should upload these files on this forum for analysis?

@Brummelchen: there are the usual one-man computer shops in my area. I may have to call around and see if anybody can handle this sticky issue. I'm getting desperate and am thinking about going to Safari. Chrome and IE are out of the question, as Chrome especially is a spy plaform.

Question: what should be the setting for my AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini file ? Is the code I'm currently using (below) correct? This is actually for the replacement profile I created, then moved certain recommended files and folders over to it. All I changed was the filename in the last line.

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/2cntswth.default