how to change the default bookmark icon using userChrome.css

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
wanderer942

Re: how to change the default bookmark icon using userChrome

Post by wanderer942 »

using userChrome.css under FF 56+, how do I change the default icons for bookmarks and bookmark folders in a) the menu, b) toolbar, and c) "show all bookmarks" windows? If someone could post the complete code, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

wanderer942 wrote:using userChrome.css under FF 56+, how do I change the default icons for bookmarks and bookmark folders in a) the menu, b) toolbar, and c) "show all bookmarks" windows? If someone could post the complete code, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Change in what respect? As you know, the folder icons and various other icons changed in the Library window ("Show All Bookmarks") and in the Bookmarks Sidebar. They are now SVG instead of static images. You can re-color those fairly easily, but changing the icons themselves looks a bit difficult.

Recoloring example: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1178010
wanderer942

Post by wanderer942 »

I want to replace what is displayed with an alternative. Thanks for the link. It is very informative. It looks like there are plans to allow changing them but I need something that works on the latest versions.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Looks like Firefox 56 has the yellow folder as part of a "sprite" combining several images:

chrome://global/skin/icons/folder-item.png

Someone may be able to put together some code to use the relevant portion of it.