Yahoo mail won't load!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
keithpost

Yahoo mail won't load!

Post by keithpost »

I am having a similar problem. However, when I tried deleting the pop format, then creat the IMAP format, I still am unable to receive emails locally. I can send emails without a problem using Thunderbird, so the smtp is unaffected. I should also say that my email is a frontier.com email, as frontier has contracted with Yahoo to use their portal. However, I was getting emails fine until I upgraded from WIN XP (with service pack 3) to WIN 7.
DanRaisch

Re: Yahoo mail won't load!

Post by DanRaisch »

I split your post from its original location as that thread died four years ago.

What is happening when you try to receive new messages? What error message>
keithpost

Post by keithpost »

Earlier, it was saying "The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account xxxxxxxxxx@frontier.com responded: [CLIENTBUG] SELECT Command is not valid in this state".

However, since then, in my attempt to fix the problem, I have removed my mail account from Thunderbird and then tried several times to reload it using both the automatic and manual Tbird guidelines for Yahoo: pop.mail.yahoo.com into Port 995 using SSL.

Each time I try, it says at the bottom that: "Host contacted, sending login information" until it finally times out. Then, the mail account setup box notifies me that: "Configuration could not be verified - is user name or password wrong?"

It does this each time I try to recreate the mail account setup. However, I can easily logon and read my email without a problem directly at the Frontier/Yahoo portal using the identical login credentials.

Thanks for any assistance!
Last edited by DanRaisch on October 13th, 2017, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

However, I can easily logon and read my email without a problem directly at the Frontier/Yahoo portal using the identical login credentials.
An email client (Thunderbird in this case) doesn't access the same servers as the user does when using the web mail page of an account.
You said that you were trying to set up the account to use IMAP but then mention "Tbird guidelines for Yahoo: pop.mail.yahoo.com into Port 995 using SSL." Have you tried to manually enter the required settings for an IMAP account:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ma ... figuration
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html
keithpost

Post by keithpost »

Well, I had tried to create the mail server account in both IMAP and POP formats, both manually and automatically. My preference, however, is a pop3 account.

However, it appears that I have fixed my problem for now. I created a pop3 again. Then, I clicked on my email address in the dropdown menu under "Get Messages" and that seems to have fixed and reset everything, so now my mail loads fine, even when I close and open it again.

Thank you for your assistance.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Glad to hear you worked things out.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

keithpost

Post by keithpost »

Hi Dan,

It's happening again and my previous fix will not work. I get this message after a couple of minutes:

Sending of password for user xxxxxxxxx@frontier.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded: Server error - Please try again later.

Any ideas?
Last edited by DanRaisch on October 15th, 2017, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Server error" typically means its a temporary problem on the server that needs to be fixed by an admin, and to try again a day or two later. However, another possibility is that a captcha was set due to suspicious behavior and Thunderbird didn't do a good job of accurately reporting the error. Thunderbird doesn't know how to clear a captcha. Logging into webmail using a browser gives you the opportunity to clear that, if it exists.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you edit your error message to replace the actual email address with username@frontier.com, so that spammers can't harvest your email address.

http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Yahoo has been notorious for this for years. Just follow the error message they sent you: Server error - Please try again later.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
keithpost

Post by keithpost »

Interesting the last comment about Yahoo from Doug. It does make sense as when I try again a day or so later the mail does finally load into Tbird. Thanks! If anybody comes up with an idea as to how to contact Yahoo so this does not recur, I would appreciate it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If anybody comes up with an idea as to how to contact Yahoo so this does not recur, I would appreciate it.
Contacting Yahoo won't stop that sort of thing. Every email provider will, from time to time, have problems with their servers. The difference between providers is how transparent they are with their customers about the outages and how quickly they resolve the problems. Yahoo has not been very good at either of those things.
keithpost

Post by keithpost »

I finally found a permanent fix. If I open the frontier/yahoo portal first, log in, then open Tbird afterwards, my new mail now downloads easily. Not sure why I didn't think to try that before! I guess that I mistakenly assumed that I would not allowed to be logged in from two different places.