bookmarks add-on

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mms

bookmarks add-on

Post by mms »

Hello
Firefox just disabled Add Bookmark Here 2. Mozilla add-on page reports it's no longer compatible with FF 5.6. Newer version unsigned and blocked. I didn't see anything as simple to use in the search results.

I used and LOVED Add Bookmark Here 2. It allowed me to directly add bookmarks to particular folder without a 2-step save. The star then little drop-down list is nowhere near as quick as a click on top of the bookmarks folder lists. The default Unsorted Bookmarks folder is useless if one has a LOT of custom bookmark folders.

I don't want extra toolbars hogging screen real estate or multi-step bookmark creation. Any word on getting it or a similar add-on back? It was *FAR* more useful that the Open All in Tabs at bottom of every bookmarks folder!

Thank you
Brummelchen

Re: bookmarks add-on

Post by Brummelchen »

to read
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 8&t=522643
(the last 3 pages should help)

no, currently no options, even not in firefox 57. all people have to wait until the API is implemented - or never.

ABH2 was so many times asked in this forum, i cant count it any more.
mms

Post by mms »

What do API and ABH2 stand for?

From what I've seen so far in add-on disables and "legacy" warnings, FF57 may be a real step backward in functionality.

Thank you
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry for abbreviations.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

@Brummelchen--
I think some people aren't aware of the major changes being made. I would just refer them to this, unless you feel another thread is better:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14765907
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ofc that would help a major comprehension of webextensions, thx
mms

Post by mms »

Thank you for clarifying the abbreviations!

Maybe a silly question, and *NOT* meant as snark, but why release FF57 if it breaks what works for its users, with no time frame for getting real, seamless functionality back? That AMO back-and-forth + spreadsheet looks involved. Particularly when the search results still include add-ons that FF won't download if there's a problem. And won't till you till you click Download.

Sigh.
allande

Post by allande »

Mozilla statistics claim most users have no extensions.
Last edited by allande on October 15th, 2017, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

why? because users always break firefox when using extensions ^^
some extension are very intrusive on firefox and break functionality.
and their "storage" (settings and other data) is left behind. with 57 this is gone.
major culprit for users with many extension - they are upset.
but it is not mozilla fault in general - they only offer a platform and the 3rd-party authors are responsible for the functionality of their addons.
mozilla made a cut which was announce a year ago, webextensions are usable since v48 (more or less) and from my view most authors gave a f*k on it. guess now who is blown !now!

OFC ABH2 here was used and its a pity, but there are a lot more extension i hardly would miss - eg "show parent folder" for bookmarks.
currently some extensions from chrome store were successfully adopted for firefox, some where brand new. please ask for replacements!

3 weeks to go - for some users it is recommended to user 52esr until EOL, it is not helpful to rant a lot, that would change nothing.
mms

Post by mms »

i used Show Parent Folder. Often. Without it, was a MAJOR scavenger hunt to find which folder something resided. If you had as many bookmarks as I do, and need to find which folder has the one needed for a research project, you'd see the value. I use about dozen extensions. Don't know if that counts as too many, but they've saved me a LOT of time and annoyance over the years. One of the true benefits is of FF was that it customized to YOU and YOU and YOU too, not cookie cuttered the other way round.

Unsure what you mean by "to user 52esr until EOL" ?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

rip the 'r' - its recommended to use 52esr till next year to keep current extension state.
mms

Post by mms »

Okay, what is "rip the 'r" and what is 52esr ?

Not fluent in acroynms, sorry.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

mms wrote:Thank you for clarifying the abbreviations!

Maybe a silly question, and *NOT* meant as snark, but why release FF57 if it breaks what works for its users, with no time frame for getting real, seamless functionality back? That AMO back-and-forth + spreadsheet looks involved. Particularly when the search results still include add-ons that FF won't download if there's a problem. And won't till you till you click Download.

Sigh.
What percent of Firefox users are affected when extensions stop working?
According to Mozilla metrics, a very small percent - less than 5% at best. An overwhelming percentage of users don't install any extensions at all.

Overall IMO, Mozilla made the mistake of updating Firefox version by version which resulted in Firefox users having Firefox get broken repeatedly over the last couple of years. I have been a heavy user of extensions and Firefox started breaking extensions for me around Firefox 34 and continued until I said "enough is enough" and just stopped updating Firefox and reverted to Firefox 38 ESR where I had "only lost" 5 extensions that I had been using for years. For me the breaking pint was Firefox 45, which was the next ESR version.

What Mozilla should have done is to write a new version of Firefox parallel to Firefox 38 or even 34 (when the first of the new API's arrived AND Mozilla started deprecating the older API's to save the download size from blowing up due to the new API's), IOW, stop breaking Firefox slowly over two to two & one half years and build the new version on the side with all the new feature that weren't possible or doable with the "legacy" version. Like removing a band-aid; rather than slowly pulling it off, just rip it off once WE versions of extensions became available and the new Firefox was XUL-free.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Are you concerned about security with FF 38?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network