Continual Not responding

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
walkerpbus

Continual Not responding

Post by walkerpbus »

It seems to be hung up & waiting on 1 address & I can't get in to 2 other addresses. When I stop the script (?) it seems quiet, but when I click on another address it starts all over again. All emails for that address appear to be fully received. I can't interrupt or change anything. a window open for Script: chrome://calendar/content/agenda-listbox.js:1021
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
tanstaafl

Re: Continual Not responding

Post by tanstaafl »

Are you using a remote calendar with Lightning? Try temporarily disabling Lightning and see if that works around the problem. If so, then performance problems with your remote calendar are effecting you sending messages.

You could also experiment with running in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to verify the problem is somehow related to an add-on or try disabling auto-complete in tools -> options -> composition -> addressing.
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

tanstaafl wrote:Are you using a remote calendar with Lightning? Try temporarily disabling Lightning and see if that works around the problem. If so, then performance problems with your remote calendar are effecting you sending messages.

You could also experiment with running in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to verify the problem is somehow related to an add-on or try disabling auto-complete in tools -> options -> composition -> addressing.
Alright it is in safe mode & it is proven to be the problem. What next?
I have copied the safe mode info below: I note that I didn't see whether a given add-on was ordinarily enabled or not AFAIK

WARNING:
This contains sensitive information which shouldn't be forwarded or published without permission.

Application Basics

Name: Thunderbird
Version: 52.4.0
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.4.0
Profile Folder: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\da81e0xs.default
(Local drive)
Application Build ID: 20171004092449
Enabled Plugins: about:plugins
Build Configuration: about:buildconfig
Memory Use: about:memory
Profiles: about:profiles

Extensions
Adblock Plus, 2.9.1, false, {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}
Add-on Compatibility Reporter, 1.1.1-signed.1-signed, false, compatibility@addons.mozilla.org
Add-on Update Checker, 2.15, false, {891f0410-aaa2-11e0-9f1c-0800200c9a66}
Auto Resize Image, 0.15.2, false, AutoResizeImage@gmail.com
CardBook, 22.9, false, cardbook@vigneau.philippe
Customizations for Adblock Plus, 1.0.5, false, customization@adblockplus.org
Diagnostics for Adblock Plus, 1.3.2, false, abpwatcher@adblockplus.org
Display Quota, 0.3.7, false, {c1ac4523-76c2-9995-adbd-d93bf5141bea}
Dorando keyconfig, 2016.2, false, keyconfig@mozilla.dorando.at
Duplicate Contact Manager, 0.9.2, false, {b4447f60-db9c-11da-a94d-0800200c9a66}
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus, 1.4, false, elemhidehelper@adblockplus.org
ExecMail, 1.1.1, false, {27c84640-86d9-4f98-8ee8-3e205dbf3190}
Expression Search / Google Mail UI, 1.2, false, {03EF8A6E-C972-488f-92FA-98ABC2C9F8B9}
Extra Folder Columns, 1.1.5, false, extra-cols@jminta_gmail.com
FlashGot, 1.5.6.14, false, {19503e42-ca3c-4c27-b1e2-9cdb2170ee34}
Folder Pane View Switcher, 1.12, false, FolderPaneSwitcher@kamens.us
gContactSync, 2.0.12, false, gContactSync@pirules.net
Google Calendar Tab, 3.9, false, googlecalendartab@momo
Identity Chooser, 1.9.3, false, identitychooser@janek.org
ImportExportTools, 3.2.4.1, false, {3ed8cc52-86fc-4613-9026-c1ef969da4c3}
JavaScript Debugger, 0.9.89.1-signed.1-signed, false, {f13b157f-b174-47e7-a34d-4815ddfdfeb8}
JavaScript Object Examiner, 2.0beta.1-signed.1-signed, false, JavaScriptObjectExaminer@SoftwareByChuck.com
JunQuilla, 1.0.4, false, junquilla@mesquilla.com
Lightning, 5.4.4, false, {e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}
Lightning Calendar Tabs, 1.7, false, lightningcalendartabs@jlx.84
Lightning Nightly Updater (Unofficial), 0.11.110714, false, lightning-nightly-updater@olive
LookOut, 1.2.13, false, lookout@aron.rubin
Mail Merge, 4.9.1, false, mailmerge@example.net
Mail Redirect, 0.9.2, false, {CC3C233D-6668-41bc-AAEB-F3A1D1D594F5}
Manually sort folders, 1.1.1, false, tbsortfolders@xulforum.org
Menu Wizard, 5.10, false, s3menu@wizard
Nostalgy, 0.2.34, false, nostalgy@alain.frisch
PrintingTools, 1.2.5, false, {5e9999c2-ba1d-44b6-bcee-5b30ce37d3b0}
Provider for Google Calendar, 3.3, false, {a62ef8ec-5fdc-40c2-873c-223b8a6925cc}
Quick Translator, 1.0.1-signed, false, {5C655500-E712-41e7-9349-CE462F844B19}
Quicktext, 0.9.11.7, false, {8845E3B3-E8FB-40E2-95E9-EC40294818C4}
ReminderFox, 2.1.5.6, false, {ada4b710-8346-4b82-8199-5de2b400a6ae}
Remove Duplicate Messages (Alternate), 0.3.14, false, {a300a000-5e21-4ee0-a115-9ec8f4eaa92b}
S3.Google Translator, 5.35, false, s3google@translator
Signature Switch, 1.6.16, false, {2ab1b709-ba03-4361-abf9-c50b964ff75d}
Silent Block, 3.3.0, false, SilentBlock@schuzak.jp
Sync Kolab, 3.0.0, false, {571CFACF-0F7D-49b4-BD77-E6FC7B209ADC}
TEBE, beta(20130106_REJIG), false, tebe@guid.softwarebychuck.com
Update Notifier, 0.1.5.5, false, {95f24680-9e31-11da-a746-0800200c9a66}
Website Blocker, 3.4, false, websiteblocker@lipocodes
http://www.Tran, 5.2.1-signed.1-signed, false, trident@trident.com.ua

edited by moderator: I removed most of the troubleshooting information as it contained your email addresses (which spammers could collect and use via a spider), and only the list of add-ons is really needed. Tanstaafl
Thanks, sir/ma'am.
Note again: some add-ons were disabled & it doesn't show like "TEBE, beta(20130106_REJIG), false, tebe@guid.softwarebychuck.com"
In safe mode I could send & receive messages. Bringing TBird up non-safe I got a new script hangup: chrome://calendar/content/widgets/minimonth.xml:416
reloaded
Last edited by walkerpbus on October 13th, 2017, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you disable all add-ons that deal with calendars or addresses to try to identify a group of suspect add-ons. Once you have, you need to incrementally test with and without a suspect add-on enabled until you identify the culprit. Perhaps disable just CardBook, Lightning, Lightning calendar tabs, lightning nightly updator, reminderfox, sync kolab, and provider for google calendar, gcontact sync, and google calendar tab.

It seems strange to have both Lightning and ReminderFox (two different calendar add-ons). Especially since you're using nightly builds of Lightning. Why do you have both?

You seem to have three add-ons (cardbook, sync kolab, and gcontact sync) for synching addresses. I suggest you see if you can get by using just CardBook since google contacts supports CardDAV. CardBook is very popular with the Thunderbird developers (based on posts to the tb-planning mailing list), so I'd assume it has the best long term prospects.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Have a look at the list of problematic addons in https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/t ... ort-issues
Very likely one or more of the addons you are using is in that list
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

I wanted to quote the Tanstaafl (sp.?) message but not available. I have a catch-22 here whenever I try to adjust the add-ons & can access it only in safe mode & I cannot make changes to it. Is there any other method of adjusting/changing the add-ons?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

The first prompt for safe mode has a checkbox to "permanently" disable addons. And after that you can start thunderbird normal and reenable addons individual or in groups to find what is causing problems.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I locked http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3034233, which appears to be another thread by the author about the same problem. It asked:

"Is there any way to install addons using Firefox alone & either TBird safe mode on or Tbird not on at all? when the current version is up there is a message [url]chrome://calendar/content/agenda-listbox.js:1009[/url] comes up & it is continually busy."

I replied:

"Hold down the shift key when you double click on the Thunderbird shortcut. That should launch it in safe mode. That should disable the calendar add-on. If Lightning keeps giving you problems take a look at ReminderFox. It has far less features but is mature/stable and works well if you just need a calendar based reminder list. It can import the *.ics calendar file used by Lightning."

I realized it was a duplicate when the author added another post listing the add-ons, asking which ones to remove.
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

tanstaafl wrote:I locked http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3034233, which appears to be another thread by the author about the same problem. It asked:

"Is there any way to install addons using Firefox alone & either TBird safe mode on or Tbird not on at all? when the current version is up there is a message [url]chrome://calendar/content/agenda-listbox.js:1009[/url] comes up & it is continually busy."

I replied:

"Hold down the shift key when you double click on the Thunderbird shortcut. That should launch it in safe mode. That should disable the calendar add-on. If Lightning keeps giving you problems take a look at ReminderFox. It has far less features but is mature/stable and works well if you just need a calendar based reminder list. It can import the *.ics calendar file used by Lightning."

I realized it was a duplicate when the author added another post listing the add-ons, asking which ones to remove.
Thanks very much Sir. SHOULD I disable all lightning add-ons or which ones should I keep. Since Firefox always saves is there another way to install ReminderFox IE.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The ReminderFox add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... minderfox/ works with Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey. You can tell due to the fx, tb and sm in the reminderfox-2.1.5.6-fx+sm+tb.xpi filename. Right click on the download button, and select "save link as" to download it (and avoid installing it in Firefox).

I suggest you first disable your remote calendar/contacts add-ons (gContactSync and Provider for Google Calendar) and see if that works around the problem. If it does, then try configuring Lightning to use CalDAV. If you still have the problem disable all of your Lightning related add-ons and see if that works around the problem. If it does then I suggest you install ReminderFox, import your Lightning calendar (*.ics in your profile) and see if Reminderfox causes the same problem. If it does, or you find you don't like Reminderfox you can uninstall it, re-enable all of the Lightning related add-ons and try another approach.

I've never used ReminderFox with a remote calendar but the help claims it support remote calendars via CalDAV, and have tested it with Google Calendar. I suggest you start with a local calendar first, see if you like it, and only then invest the time configuring it for a remote calendar. My impression is that you can use it with multiple remote calendars but its not clear if you can use the same account with multiple remote calendars. See http://www.reminderfox.org/remote-calendar-n/
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

tanstaafl wrote:The ReminderFox add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... minderfox/ works with Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey. You can tell due to the fx, tb and sm in the reminderfox-2.1.5.6-fx+sm+tb.xpi filename. Right click on the download button, and select "save link as" to download it (and avoid installing it in Firefox).

I suggest you first disable your remote calendar/contacts add-ons (gContactSync and Provider for Google Calendar) and see if that works around the problem. If it does, then try configuring Lightning to use CalDAV. If you still have the problem disable all of your Lightning related add-ons and see if that works around the problem. If it does then I suggest you install ReminderFox, import your Lightning calendar (*.ics in your profile) and see if Reminderfox causes the same problem. If it does, or you find you don't like Reminderfox you can uninstall it, re-enable all of the Lightning related add-ons and try another approach.

I've never used ReminderFox with a remote calendar but the help claims it support remote calendars via CalDAV, and have tested it with Google Calendar. I suggest you start with a local calendar first, see if you like it, and only then invest the time configuring it for a remote calendar. My impression is that you can use it with multiple remote calendars but its not clear if you can use the same account with multiple remote calendars. See http://www.reminderfox.org/remote-calendar-n/
Thanks again sir/ma'am. disabled reminderfox & provider for Google calendar. did not see
gcontact sinc & most everything is normal :D