Seamonkey does not show up in Windows "remove programs"

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
farkle

Seamonkey does not show up in Windows "remove programs"

Post by farkle »

I have just installed SeaMonkey 2.48 on my Windows 10 system, replacing the 2.46 version.

It put a shortcut on the desktop, but the start panel and the "Remove programs" screen do not report it. They still report the 2.46 version.

SeaMonkey seems to work fine. All the profile setup is in place, mail works, bookmarks are OK, and the password manager appears to be all correct.

I downloaded the English version from the Mozilla web site, and executed the file as I would normally do. No indications of problems with the installer, and SeaMonkey is installed under my user name in the AppData/local directory. I did not invoke administrator privileges for the install. Did I miss something in the install instructions?

My sense of security for my system is distressed to think that an installer supplied by Mozilla can install an application and hide it from all the normal Windows functionality [isn't that a contradiction in terms - normal Windows!!].

Any ideas?

Thanks

RM
therube

Re: Seamonkey does not show up in Windows "remove programs"

Post by therube »

I'd doubt there is a second "installer" somewhere.
Only a discrepancy in the version number displayed.

Does about: show 2.48?
(Your UA does.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
farkle

Post by farkle »

therube:

It shows 2.48 on the about SeaMonkey page as well as the file name on the download.

Build identifier: 20170707010522

I hadn't thought about a second installer - in fact I don't remember when I last did an install. I have always let the system update whenever required.

RM
frg

Post by frg »

I have seen this occasionally. At least 2 times with Windows 10 permanent Beta aka. all versions. Seems to be a problem with Windows itself. Either reinstall SeaMonkey or just ignore it till the next release comes out. Best fix is to install a stable operating system like Windows 7 or 8.1 (with classic shell).