Missing search box

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Happy112

Re: Missing search box

Post by Happy112 »

@ LIMPET235 :

Let me (try to) explain what I mean a little bit better :

When you buy, let's say : a new audio device, you read the manual first, right ?

Well, when you use a browser - a GOOD browser, like Firefox, you should read the menu first. (IMHO)

You know, I'm just so tired of people blaming Firefox for just about everything that goes wrong in their life and trashing Firefox (Mozilla) every chance they get - NO, I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but when I see some of the posts on Mozilla support forum : downright verbal abuse towards the Mozilla developers.
Those developers are hard working peole, trying their best to make Firefox the perfect browser for everybody.
They're not trying to annoy users and drive them away - but unfortunately you can't please everybody.

End of rant-and-rave mode.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

That "option" was added as part of an update and enabled by default. The proper way to do that would have been to leave it turned off and let users opt IN. I'd be ok with a pop up or tab telling me about the studies and asking if I'd opt in, but to add the feature and turn it on by default, and then run the studies without telling people, and then tell them "Hey, you could have turned the option off, didn't you read the manual before you started using the product even though we changed the product after you first 'purchased' it?" is pretty shady.

I don't doubt they are hard working people. And sure, opt IN is going to get you a whole lot less responses. But the way they've gone about this is underhanded.

app.shield.optoutstudies.enabled, default value is TRUE. You have to disable an opt out preference (huh?), which clears the checkbox in the options. Even the preference is shady and underhanded!
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

@ LIMPET235 and smsmith :

Okay, I've cooled down and : you both are right. That option should have been unchecked, and it should be up tp the user to check it.
Better still : I've been trying to convince Mozilla to show a banner for both users and contributors, informing / warning them about imminent changes.
You can't expect the average user to read Mozilla blogs or KB articles (I doubt if even every contributor reads them all).
And I must admit that I was being unreasonable to expect that everybody would read the Options/Preferences.
I just get so upset thinking that many(way too many) users may be turning their back on Firefox, for : it's the best browser, after all - isn't it ?

(sorry for my 'rant-and-rave' mode earlier .....)
therube

Post by therube »

I've been trying to convince Mozilla to show a banner for both users and contributors, informing / warning them about imminent changes.
I know exactly how that would go, [set to repeat...] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

therube wrote:
I know exactly how that would go, [set to repeat...] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg.
Good one !
I've got the feeling that this planet is being taken over by robots anyway .......
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

@ LIMPET235 and smsmith :

I took your words to heart and posted this on the Mozilla contributor forum :

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/forum ... post-72677
Last edited by Happy112 on October 20th, 2017, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I'm sure that both Mr. Smith & I appreciate your motives, vigor & passion re; Firefox.

You're welcome...

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)