Deleted important TB folder/have backup but not transferring

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
love10001212

Deleted important TB folder/have backup but not transferring

Post by love10001212 »

Hi all - need some assistance:

Using gmail w/ TB. Been having some trouble with TB folders moving and duplicating by themselves - normally it's not a big deal, I move them back and it's corrected. Today, I deleted the duplicate one and it turned out to remove both copies - the folder is completely gone from both TB standalone and gmail web view. It has about 1000 emails in it.

I went to the profile folder / mail account - that folder back up file , and tried to place back into the local folders - it reappeared, but with only 30 of the 1000 emails.

I have a laptop that has a recent version/copy, it's on now to the view of the deleted folder (disconnected from net) and I tried using that profile folder file as well, with the same result - 30 emails of the 1000 back

Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that file is just corrupt across all units/programs etc?

I was thining about using mozbackup to bakcup the correct laptop files now, and move it to the desktop (first try - file was only 6gb and said it was "Too big" to put on to my 128gb usb - huh? I am now doing it again saving it right to USB. But if I install that on the desktop as a fresh install, will that just get ovverridden by the server copy of gmail which does NOT have the deleted folder?

Thanks all
Last edited by love10001212 on October 20th, 2017, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
love10001212

Re: Deleted important TB folder/have backup but not transfer

Post by love10001212 »

As suspected mozbackup worked, the 1000 files in folder reappeared, and promptly got removed as soon as TB synced with the server.

Is there any way to sync or have TB standalone override server?
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Ok, I found a workaround finally. I saved all those emails to a file from the laptop's TB, then moved the file to desktop, selected all and dragged them all to a newly created TB file. Now, it overrides Gmail and puts the labels back in gmail webview.

Does it have to do with the date of creation of the folder -- unless I create a fresh one with the newest timestamp it will always be overridden by the server?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It sounds as though you are working with an IMAP account. When you connect with that account on-line Thunderbird notes that the messages present on the local system are not on the IMAP server. Since, with an IMAP account, the server controls which messages are displayed, Thunderbird deletes the messages in the local file to bring it into synch with the server. Your solution worked because it created a new folder that did not exist on the server.
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

But didn't loading the mozbackup files putting back the missing folder also create a new folder that was not on the server? By the time I did that, the deleted folder was gone from the server as well.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It could but that doesn't seem to be what happened, based on the results you saw.