Being forced to v56 when I need to stay on v55

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
MiloShapiro

Re: Being forced to v56 when I need to stay on v55

Post by MiloShapiro »

...I tried choosing Custom and it did walk me through a few extra steps but none of them had a checkbox for anything that sounded like "Install Maintenance Service" before I got to the "Finish" button.
After that, it was the usual. 55 opened. I immediately closed it. 56 opened the next time.
Not sure why you thought that would have that option; maybe it used to?

Given all that, still say that the next step is to have to do a Remove of "Mozilla Maintenance Service"?
Just makes me nervous because won't I need that again once iMacros is ready and I can go on to 56 or whatever number they're up to?
Milo in San Diego
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

A few thoughts/questions:
1. When you re-installed 55, did you first REMOVE 56 via add/remove programs ? or... did you just do a install 55 over 56?
2. If you did not remove 56 as above, then the Maintenance Service was still on your system, no matter what options you chose during re-install of 55.

Removing Firefox via add/remove programs will not bother your settings/profile etc... so don't be afraid of doing that step.
3. Before removing 56 enter your options settings and select the options to not update, and to 'use background' service', then they will stay when you re-do 55

4. Its possible you have the upgrade already on your system, check the 'Updates' folder, and if in doubt its safe to just delete it along with all its contents.
5. Its perfectly safe to REMOVE Mozilla Maintenance from add/remove programs, its a 'stand-alone' program not related at all to the functioning of Firefox.

Good Luck
therube

Post by therube »

(AFAIK, FWIW, Mozilla Maintenance Service has no bearing on the matter. Having MMS, or not, will not affect your ability to get future updates. All it does is to bypass a [Windows] UAC prompt. And if people are so lame that once every 10 weeks, or whatever it is, they are unable to click a single prompt to allow a FF update to proceed, well...)

If you use multiple Profiles, updates must be disabled (separately) in each of them (& presumably prior to actually using that Profile).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

TheRube: You say, "Mozilla Maintenance Service has no bearing on the matter." Are you saying that the others are wrong...that deleting that service will not help me keep 56 from loading?
Hoping i'm misunderstanding that sentence; otherwise it sounds like you're contradicting them.
Milo in San Diego
therube

Post by therube »

That is what I'm saying, from the way I understand it, so yes, I am contradicting them, though I may be wrong :-).
In any case, it can't hurt to uninstall MMS & see what happens.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
allande

Post by allande »

Another method to get Firefox installed and not to update to the next version is- first, make sure there is no pending update. Best way for that is to restart Firefox a few times and make sure it has a chance to do whatever it wants to do. Then, disconnect from the internet. Install the Firefox version you want, uninstall the maintenance service. Set the settings to not update. Close Firefox, make sure the maintenance service is gone, maybe even reboot the computer. Then reconnect to the internet.
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

I THINK I've gotten it. I uninstalled MMS. After I did, I noticed in the programs available to me that FF55 and FF56 were both listed as programs that I could still uninstall! I didn't know both could be on the computer at once. That made me wonder if the icon that I use to restart FF was pointing to the v56.
My next step was to go to the Start button and type in "Firefox". It gave me two options: "Firefox" and "Mozilla Firefox". I tried "Firefox" and 56 opened. But then I tried "Mozilla Firefox" (herein MFF) and 55 opened! Was able to do it repeatedly, in fact.
Then I deleted the icon for FF on my taskbar and start button, replacing them with ones based on the program MFF and that seems to be working, too.
i don't know if I deleted MMS for nothing or if that was part of why this started working, but I suspect it all comes down to the fact that 56 was still accessible on my computer and I was using an icon that pointed to it.
And of course, I checked that the v55 that keeps opening has updates set to "never".
Thoughts?
Milo in San Diego
allande

Post by allande »

Since your operating system is 64-bit, both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Firefox can potentially run. Since they can be installed in different directories, they could both exist on one computer. (one in program files, one in program files x86) The 64-bit version is fine unless you use plugins other than flash (which are blocked anyway by default). Your post is with the 64-bit version which should be fine. Probably ideally the 32-bit one would be gone.
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

a good theory about 32 and 64 bit, allande, but according to Add/Remove programs, they're both 64 bit.
They are described as
"Mozilla Firefox 55.0.2 (x64 en-US)" and
"Moxilla Firefox 56.0.1 (x64 en-US)"

They are indeed, as you mention, in different folders:
The first one is in C:\program files\mozilla firefox and
the other one is in C:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox
Milo in San Diego
therube

Post by therube »

(You can run any combination of 32/64 & version of FF, simultaneously or not, as you wish.
[It might not be as straight forward as that, but certainly possible, & easy to do.]
As you mention, very well possible that the shortcut you were using was opening an unexpected version of FF.)
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

Yes, wish I'd thought of that before deleting MMS. So once I get iMacros working again next year, do i need to somehow reinstall MMS?
Milo in San Diego
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

MiloShapiro wrote:Yes, wish I'd thought of that before deleting MMS. So once I get iMacros working again next year, do i need to somehow reinstall MMS?
IMO, no you don't need to reinstall MMS.