Unhappy about migration from v.56 to v.57 (lost open tabs)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
postcd

Unhappy about migration from v.56 to v.57 (lost open tabs)

Post by postcd »

ISSUE

Hello,

i had many tabs open in my firefox 56, i installed 57 beta and selected it to disable unsupported plugins, some kind of option after installation. as a result it created new profile. OK.

BUT!!!

i had many many tabs open in my old firefox and these was not resynced back to new firefox because i had disabled tabs syncing option in old firefox.
As a result i no longer can open old firefox, when i opened it somehow it not wanted to login me into FF account telling me that my datastore or cookies are disabled, after enabled cookies, (not aware i disabled them) it still not worked. OK i looked for alternative solutions (i described one below).

What happened is very bad. i had to waste 1+ hour until i recovered my 50 tabs.

FEATURE REQUEST/IMPROVEMENT
I think you should make the migration more easy so one does not loose tabs. Example new firefox will detect old firefox profile folder and ask me to restore opened tabs. Some idiots like me have many tabs open. Its the way how i work and is very important for me not to loose them.

!!!

I HOPE YOU CAN FIX THIS

--------------------------------------------------------
Here is tutorial i made for ones who do not want to loose open tabs when installing new firefox and forgot to have tabs syncing enabled in FF Sync.

In old Firefox, enable Sync of opened tabs (Sync section in FF Settings), then in Firefox menu, click sync icon, it may start turning around.

If unsure if sync completed, in old Firefox open: about:support
Click "Open folder" button next to "Profile Folder"
copy sessionstore.jsonlz4 file

Install new firefox and once done select some option to disable unsupported plugins for optimal performance.

New Firefox will create new profile folder. You open new firefox, and repeat above mentioned steps to open its profile folder.
Close new firefox.
Copy sessionstore.jsonlz4 you backed up from old firefox to new firefox profile folder and replace.

Open new firefox, click menu, and then "Restore previous session". It may be in History section or such also.
Last edited by postcd on October 23rd, 2017, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Unhappy about migration from v.56 to v.57 (lost open tab

Post by DanRaisch »

I HOPE YOU CAN FIX THIS
We can't. Please review the disclaimer in the right hand column of this page. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.
i had many tabs open in my firefox 56, i installed 57 beta
Beta versions are not intended for the casual user and, for those interested in testing/playing with the bleeding edge versions, making a back up of the profile should be a routine step before replacing a release version (56.x in this case) with a beta version, particularly when that beta is anticipated to be incompatible with the majority of legacy extensions.
disable unsupported plugins, some kind of option after installation. as a result it created new profile.
In general, Firefox will not create a new profile during an update and if that occurs, the data from the old profile may be available on the system desktop.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

@ postcd :

Any requests and/or suggestions you have, you could submit here (if you want to) :

Input page: https://qsurvey.mozilla.com/s3/FirefoxInput/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/firefox

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Firefox

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/
James

Post by James »

DanRaisch wrote:
I HOPE YOU CAN FIX THIS
We can't. Please review the disclaimer in the right hand column of this page. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.
And the about link on right sidbar http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Nothing on this site indicates it is Mozilla yet the mozilla in mozillaZine name may be enough for you think this is a Mozilla support forum. Mozilla has had their own support more recently for a while now at support.mozilla.org/questions/ > You may also think people at Mozilla reads this forum on a regular basis, they don't as they have SUMO, bugzilla.mozilla.org, mozilla newsgroups and irc://irc.mozilla.org to keep them busy enough.

Also Sync is not a backup service.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

DanRaisch wrote:...
In general, Firefox will not create a new profile during an update and if that occurs, the data from the old profile may be available on the system desktop.
Actually, that would be a great idea for an extension. It would be awesome if, upon downloading or installing a new version, that it automatically backs up your profile somewhere (or asks to).

I had the same thing, only with "Session Manager" extension. I was on version 57 beta, and then one day, out of the blue, "Session Manager" just stopped working. There is now the ability to let a 57 profile be backwards compatible with version 56, so I am hoping to try that out and see if "Session Manager" starts working again.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Install both:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14772018
and save sessions from scratch, then upgrade your profile.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Morac's Session Manager should start working again: it stores all data in /sessions folder inside Firefox profile in a format that doesn't depend on Firefox version.
Sorry for my poor English.
postcd

Post by postcd »

DN123ABC wrote:It would be awesome if, upon downloading or installing a new version, that it automatically backs up your profile somewhere (or asks to).
When i installed v57 beta before around 4 days, then i selected kind of option to disable legacy extensions and it created new profile and automaticaly created backup of the old profile on my desktop (MS WIndows 10). Though i had to manually restore my opened tabs the hard manual way, because i had tabs Sync not enabled, so these was not synced.