How to view just new email?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FrankSMS

How to view just new email?

Post by FrankSMS »

Latest Thunderbird on Win7.
I believe its called a unified inbox.
I have several accounts. Its nice to be able to segregate things and Thunderbird does a fine job of this. But I haven't found a way of just seeing new email in all my email accounts. This saves a lot of time instead of clicking and clicking each account to see new email, especially when you have several accounts and don't get much email in each account. Apparently some versions of Outlook doesn't have it.
BruceAWittmeier

Re: How to view just new email?

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Do you consider unread mail to be New Mail? If so...

You can filter to view only unread mail by the option on the toolbar. Then use the addable double arrows (right click the toolbar and select customize) for Next unread or Previous unread.

Additionally you can sort by date received if that helps.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> Do you consider unread mail to be New Mail?
Yes, unread mail could indeed be new mail.

> You can filter to view only unread mail by the option on the toolbar.
Where? I see nothing that alludes to "unread mail". There is Get Messages but this doesn't work for this. Did you mean Unread Folders?

I think I found it. View, Folders, Unified. Highlight Inbox. Everything flows from that! Perfect.

One thing that is REALLY tedious in Thunderbird: When you need to change a setting, often you need to change it for every single account. Thunderbird really doesn't seem to be designed for people with more than 2 or 3 accounts. There should always be a global setting for any setting that could be global in nature. The option should always be there.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You can also customize the main toolbar (right click on it, select customize, drag and drop the widget you want) to add a "Mail Views" control. Its a list box with all, unread, not deleted, tags, custom views, save view as a folder, and customize. You can create custom views using the same criteria as edit -> find -> search messages, so its pretty powerful.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

View, Folders, Unified. Highlight Inbox.........works perfectly.