MozillaZine

I need help for using an old version(17)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
luke01
 
Posts: 14
Joined: October 24th, 2017, 2:29 am

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 2:40 am

Somebody can help me to make some tweaks(if possible) for using Firefox 17 on some certain pages?

LIMPET235
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 37723
Joined: October 19th, 2007, 1:53 am
Location: The South Coast of N.S.W. Oz.

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 3:38 am

Moving to Firefox Support...

The link/s to those "certain pages" would help.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-56.0.1-57.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Reflective

User avatar
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: February 15th, 2007, 11:13 am

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 6:00 am

Is there some particular reasson why you want to install such an old version of Firefox on Windows 10? FF17 dates from 2012 which pre-dates Windows 8.1 even which wasn't released until 2014.

luke01
 
Posts: 14
Joined: October 24th, 2017, 2:29 am

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 7:23 am

LIMPET235 wrote:Moving to Firefox Support...

The link/s to those "certain pages" would help.

For example Facebook wich is not displayed correctly.
Aboout 90% from pages are all right.

LIMPET235
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 37723
Joined: October 19th, 2007, 1:53 am
Location: The South Coast of N.S.W. Oz.

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 7:27 am

Hi, How about an image of exactly what the error is?

Here is how to post an image here...
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

After you've taken the screen shot/s...
Reduce it/them to around 600 x 500 or so in your favourite image editor, (Be sure to remove any personal info.)
& upload them to your favourite image hosting site.
> http://tinypic.com/
> https://imageshack.com/
> https://imgur.com/
> https://imgbox.com/
> https://ctrlq.org/images/

&...Select the code listed as "Forum Thumbnail", copy the code and paste it in
the thread where you reported your problem.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-56.0.1-57.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

luke01
 
Posts: 14
Joined: October 24th, 2017, 2:29 am

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 7:33 am

Reflective wrote:Is there some particular reasson why you want to install such an old version of Firefox on Windows 10? FF17 dates from 2012 which pre-dates Windows 8.1 even which wasn't released until 2014.


Yes there are some reasons: first-is very fast, faster than majority of firefox releases untill 54-55 / second-is the last version wich does not have the so called "facebook bug" ( high CPU usage in idle status on Facebook or pages like this wich have their code something that does not like Firefox), etc..

luke01
 
Posts: 14
Joined: October 24th, 2017, 2:29 am

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 7:50 am

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi, How about an image of exactly what the error is?


There are several situations: for example the icon indicator for new posts (from goups, etc.) don't indicate always new posts, or friends list is not displayed or partially displayed, or pictures are distorted, or some menu text is misaligned..etc

mightyglydd

User avatar
 
Posts: 9061
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca.

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 7:59 am

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.3 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.5.1

PM forum's here... https://forum.palemoon.org/index.php
#KeepFightingMichael

Reflective

User avatar
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: February 15th, 2007, 11:13 am

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 10:40 am

luke01 wrote:
Reflective wrote:Is there some particular reasson why you want to install such an old version of Firefox on Windows 10? FF17 dates from 2012 which pre-dates Windows 8.1 even which wasn't released until 2014.


Yes there are some reasons: first-is very fast, faster than majority of firefox releases untill 54-55 / second-is the last version wich does not have the so called "facebook bug" ( high CPU usage in idle status on Facebook or pages like this wich have their code something that does not like Firefox), etc..

FF17 might be a bit faster although even that's debatable, but it's infinitely more dangerous to install out-of-date software of any kind on your system. You'll be exposing yourself to all the vulnerabilities listed here if you do: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2747
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 11:35 am

i dont see any benefit using a so much outdated browser on a modern website like facebook?
firefox up to version 35 has issues with modern scripts and webdesign. newer builds habe less issues but even not perfekt.

in case of vulnerabilities any version before current 52esr is neither nor recommended.
people like write that not for fun - thoses issues are critical and in special facebook has had too much trouble with malware and other crap distributed by other facebook users. and anytime flash and java were concerned - used to spread malware.

as you can see we hesitate to give you advice. its not because we dont like you or this stuff - its because we care. and thats reason you were asked for an image to point out your culprit, to let us reproduce it.

please provide some information
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox

luke01
 
Posts: 14
Joined: October 24th, 2017, 2:29 am

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 11:38 am

Reflective wrote:FF17 might be a bit faster although even that's debatable, but it's infinitely more dangerous to install out-of-date software of any kind on your system. You'll be exposing yourself to all the vulnerabilities listed here if you do: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/


Hopefully solutions not advices how to not use this version. I know about risks, but I'm not obsessed and I have a goodd AV.

luke01
 
Posts: 14
Joined: October 24th, 2017, 2:29 am

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 11:39 am

mightyglydd wrote:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.3 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.5.1

PM forum's here... https://forum.palemoon.org/index.php


Tried, don't work!

mightyglydd

User avatar
 
Posts: 9061
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca.

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 11:48 am

Tried what?
That's the correct place to ask about the browser you're posting with.
#KeepFightingMichael

RobertJ
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 10331
Joined: October 15th, 2003, 7:40 pm
Location: Chicago IL/Oconomowoc WI

Post Posted October 24th, 2017, 12:43 pm

.
Locking. This thread is going nowhere and it appears the OP is using a third party build.

.
FF 57.0.2 - FF 58b11 - Palemoon 27.3.0 - TB 52.5 - Mac OSX 10.13.2
Computers I've used: IBM 7094/UNIVAC 1108/IBM 360/DEC PDP11/DEC VAX-11 780/DEC VAXstation 8000/Sun SPARCstation 2/Mac from 1984 to 2017

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlohoJo and 5 guests