The Periodic Freeze is back!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
aib

The Periodic Freeze is back!

Post by aib »

Hi folks!

Remember the periodic freeze that haunted Firefox through the late 2000s and the early 2010s? It's back again!

I'm having difficulty locating the original bug report even though I had about 150 mails about it in my inbox at one time. I don't know how to go about diagnosing it because everything else seems to have changed.

Anyway, it seems to be a regression in the latest version, because it only started happening after I agreed to participate in studies (which I did as soon as the new version was launched.) Disabled studies and telemetry just in case, let's see how it goes...

56.0 (64-bit) on KUbuntu 17.10
Last edited by aib on October 26th, 2017, 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
therube

Re: The Periodic Freeze is back! (Linux)

Post by therube »

the original bug report
Has no bearing on what is today, compared to what was a decade ago.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Firefox56stinks

Post by Firefox56stinks »

Hey, its not just in Linux that the freeze is back, I'm running Windows Home Premium 7 and ever since I loaded 56 its been hanging all over the place. it doesn't matter whether you have a couple of tabs open in a single window or a dozen windows it just seems to hang on a whim. If it weren't for some of the great add-ons that people have added which I use all the time I'd ditch Firefox tomorrow. That they have never addressed the ever worsening memory leakage problem satisfactorily (they need to give each window a separate process) and now are reviving such reviled 'features' of the past such as 'the freeze' just shows the true quality of the Mozilla product these days.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

aib wrote:Hi folks!

Remember the periodic freeze that haunted Firefox through the late 2000s and the early 2010s?
No and I reckon I would have noticed.

Try a new additional testing profile (on Linux, just exit Firefox and rename .mozilla to .mozillagood and restart and it'll auto create it for you.)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
aib

Post by aib »

> Try a new additional testing profile
This is what I'm afraid of. What if the new profile doesn't have the problem? Then we know it is *somewhere* in my profile. Have any further debugging tools been developed, or will I have to gut parts of my profile in a divide-and-conquer approach?

> Disabled studies and telemetry just in case, let's see how it goes...
Did this and it remedied the problem somewhat. (Think <1s freezes instead of >1s) Then I deleted everything deletable by Ctrl+Shift+Del, after which the freeze disappeared completely and I was unable to bring it back. (Whereas earlier just browsing for 30 minutes would make it reappear.)
aib

Post by aib »

Ah, I found the original bug report!

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=490122
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

aib wrote:> Try a new additional testing profile
This is what I'm afraid of. What if the new profile doesn't have the problem? Then we know it is *somewhere* in my profile. Have any further debugging tools been developed, or will I have to gut parts of my profile in a divide-and-conquer approach?
Why ponder possible ramifications when it will take 30 seconds to try?
Anyone can file a bug without proper foundation and many do. Usually they are full of stuff like we have on that one -
David.P

Comment 371 • 5 years ago

Benoit: sure enough that diagnosis was spot-on, and there is no hangs whatsoever after having removed LiveCLick
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
aib

Post by aib »

Frank Lion wrote:
30 seconds? What are you talking about? My current profile takes 2 days to reach this point. What can I possibly achieve in 30 seconds?
Frank Lion wrote:
Anyone can file a bug without proper foundation and many do. Usually they are full of stuff like we have on that one -
Stuff? Do you mean logs collected by frustrated users? People with different underlying causes ganging up on a single bug report because there are no clear instructions to help them trace the issue further?
Frank Lion wrote:
David.P

Comment 371 • 5 years ago

Benoit: sure enough that diagnosis was spot-on, and there is no hangs whatsoever after having removed LiveCLick
Great, it was fixed for some people.
aib

Post by aib »

therube wrote:
the original bug report
Has no bearing on what is today, compared to what was a decade ago.
You probably mean the underlying cause. The symptom is exactly the same, as are the steps to reproduce.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

aib wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
30 seconds? What are you talking about? My current profile takes 2 days to reach this point. What can I possibly achieve in 30 seconds?.
Do you have 'special needs' or something? You will have created a new profile in 30 seconds and what you do after that is up to you. You are beyond my help.

I'm out.
RobertJ

Re: The Periodic Freeze is back!

Post by RobertJ »

Locking, the OP is hopeless.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6