Browsing history, auto fill data deleted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mrekat

Browsing history, auto fill data deleted

Post by mrekat »

I think I may have a related issue with Firefox on a mac. Firefox deleted all my browsing history older than "yesterday". I rarely use 'clear all history' option and by default it is selected to clear only the "last hour" of data. I think this issue started with your latest version update (v56). I also noticed that my auto fill in /sign on history is gone. Is anyone experiencing the same thing?
Is there any way I can restore my old browsing history from the AppSupport files?
Thanks!
dfoulkes

Re: Browsing history, auto fill data deleted

Post by dfoulkes »

I know nothing about Mac... but you might want to change the topic to include MAC...attracts experts.

I use Firefox ESR so I can't specifically help you with version 56... except that I do have the portable version in this system and I just reviewed the Options for clearing out browsing history and I don't see anywhere where the user can set it up to just clear older than yesterday... maybe I missed it... but do you have an extension in there that does added thing to browsing history? ...or, do you always click on the History button and then choose the times that you want? And I'll assume that you've check your Privacy Options to make sure that it's set up right?

Also, do you use CCleaner or something like that?
I think this issue started with your latest version update (v56)
BTW... we are not part of Mozilla as noted over there on the right hand side.
Is there any way I can restore my old browsing history from the AppSupport files?
Unless version 56 has changed ... clearing out history means it is gone. Others who read this may have a different take on the subject.

For all the time I've been using Firefox I've 'always' made a backup of my profile JIC... so far I've never needed it though... and since we can put a lot of time into modifying our profiles... backups are really needed.
Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
mrekat

Post by mrekat »

Thanks for your thoughts. I made some progress where I used an add-on SQLite manager to open the file that's stored on a mac for FF browsing history and bookmarks (places.sqlite). Everything has been deleted in that file except the last couple of days of data.

The problem started yesterday and I can only access two days of history. Basically I can't use autofill for forms/boxes (or search suggestions based on past browsing for websites). Bookmarks were not affected but that makes sense because it is apparently a file that IS backed up.
I checked all FF preferences and no boxes were checked that would explain deleting the data.

This definitely happened after the last update - can't remember if this happened after I restarted the browser but it was not due to any of my actions.
Looks like I may have to find a different browser. For the past couple years FF has been very frustrating to use.
Thanks again.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can check if you have an "Old Firefox Data" folder on the desktop in case a new profile has been created by using the refresh feature in Firefox.

If you use the Time Machine then you can check if you can use a backup to restore lost data.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox