IMAP Causing Issues

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

IMAP Causing Issues

Post by ep2012 »

So a few times now since switching all of my domain e-mails to IMAP I'm getting these popup errors in the right bottom corner of my screen when I reboot & load TB.

It doesn't happen every single time, but enough that it's scary.

I get error saying it can't save the message to the sent or draft folder, or that the mailbox doesn't even exist when it does.

If this is going to be an ongoing thing, I'm going to have to go back to POP b/c even though I had lots of issues with the previous profile, that wasn't one of them.

It also says that it's downloading thousands of mail headers which makes no sense, weren't they already DLed before I shut down TB to restart my computer?

Once TB stopped doing all of the DLing, then I was able to send the e-mail. The e-mail I was trying to send including some (not all) of the error messages I was getting. :(
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Re: IMAP Causing Issues

Post by tanstaafl »

Downloading headers is cheap/quick. I'd normally only expect it to occur with inbox folders on startup as they are usually the only folders open then.

One possibility is that you kept the default settings of offline folders being enabled in synchronization and storage. That can cause a performance hit while they are being downloaded (just once) in the background, but shouldn't be so noticeable later on once it only has to deal with additional new mail. That can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours depending upon how many messages you have and whether they have a lot of large attachments.

"I get error saying it can't save the message to the sent or draft folder, or that the mailbox doesn't even exist when it does."
The sent folder specified in copies & folders might not match your real sent folder. For example Thunderbird defaults to using "sent" but some of my email providers use "sent items" or "sent mail". So saving a copy fails, as Thunderbird won't create the missing folder. The workaround is to modify the settings in copies & folders.

An error about a mailbox doesn't exist could be a problem in the servers' advanced settings if it occurs all of the time. If its occasional or erratic then I'd suspect a problem with the mail server. Are you using a email provider where you need to admin the mail server using Cpanel?
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Re: IMAP Causing Issues

Post by ep2012 »

Hi,

Ok, so it happened again when I restarted TB & we narrowed it down to 2 different e-mail accounts & the draft folder but this happened right after I launched TB & there were NO e-mails I was in the middle of writing b/c I just launched TB. This is IMAP remember.

I'm pretty sure in POP I wouldn't have this problem & I'm REALLY wanting to go back to POP b/c I'm not in love with all these issues & how long it takes TB to DL all the message headers. :(

We checked both TB & Squirrel mail (thru CPanel) & the draft folders are there.

I created a dummy e-mail, clicked on file - save & it went into the TB draft folder as well as the Cpanel draft folder.

Now the ONLY other thing that may be causing this (I'm not sure) is that I don't use these accounts to send mail often so I haven't sent any mail from them. When I went to test sending a mail, I had to go thru the "confirm security" window & retype in my p/w.

That shouldn't cause those errors, but I thought you should know that both of those accounts were like that plus others I have that I haven't sent mail from yet.

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!