Local Google Maps not showing - ONLY in SM

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Melissa2009B

Local Google Maps not showing - ONLY in SM

Post by Melissa2009B »

SM 2.48, but this has been going on for about a year or more now.

Regular Google Maps is ok, if I just go there.

But if I'm on Google search and put in, for example: mailboxes 80112, a local Google Map appears on the results page. So I could normally click on that and see all my local results. But for the last year or so, when I do that, it loads all the stuff and all I have is a useless blank page. Then I have to open ANY OTHER browser to do this, and it works in ALL other browsers. So this is a SM issue. So please, no replies "well it works for me". That's not helpful. I need to know why it's not working for me, and how to fix it, please.

Thanks.
Melissa
DanRaisch

Re: Local Google Maps not showing - ONLY in SM

Post by DanRaisch »

Clear the browser cache and delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

You could try creating a second SeaMonkey profile, and seeing if you encounter the same problem there. (SeaMonkey's "Profile Manager" is in the Start Menu on Windows.)

If you don't see the problem, then the issue is probably either some configuration setting in your regular profile (which could be hard to find), or an extension you have installed. But if it still happens, then maybe your best bet is to wait for SeaMonkey 2.49, which will come out soon, and see if it's fixed there.
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

DanRaisch wrote:Clear the browser cache and delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved.
I've tried that before. All it does is lose ALL my logins and page informations - does not solve this.
Melissa
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

isaacschemm wrote:You could try creating a second SeaMonkey profile, and seeing if you encounter the same problem there. (SeaMonkey's "Profile Manager" is in the Start Menu on Windows.)

If you don't see the problem, then the issue is probably either some configuration setting in your regular profile (which could be hard to find), or an extension you have installed. But if it still happens, then maybe your best bet is to wait for SeaMonkey 2.49, which will come out soon, and see if it's fixed there.
Tried that too - didn't work.

I guess I cant use SM anymore, being they won't fix this.
Melissa
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Melissa2009B wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Clear the browser cache and delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved.
I've tried that before. All it does is lose ALL my logins and page informations - does not solve this.
That's because you are doing it wrong. You need to select the stuff to delete in Prefs. > Privacy and Security > Private Data. Selecting 'Clear Private Data' is a general setting that will, indeed, clear the lot.

Melissa2009B wrote:Tried that too - didn't work.

It's not a problem I can reproduce, but if you want to stop using SM, then so be it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Frank Lion wrote:
Melissa2009B wrote:
That's because you are doing it wrong. You need to select the stuff to delete in Prefs. > Privacy and Security > Private Data. Selecting 'Clear Private Data' is a general setting that will, indeed, clear the lot.

Melissa2009B wrote:Tried that too - didn't work.

It's not a problem I can reproduce, but if you want to stop using SM, then so be it.
I don't see any way there, to select only cookies for Google Maps. It appears to delete ALL cookies if I look at that section.
Melissa
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Melissa2009B wrote:I don't see any way there, to select only cookies for Google Maps. It appears to delete ALL cookies if I look at that section.
You need some extension for cookie management. I'm using Cookie Monster:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-monster/
... unfortunately it's not available any more.

Fortunately I have a copy of this extension. I converted it and modded a little:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14714414
... so you can grab it here:
https://mega.nz/#!g1ITHRqI!UweoY-3R4Ero ... ljV1yA8h7c

SHA256:

Code: Select all

d080ff23eb65fdb468d36af69469ad11b666435a02ed14982c90f9718b737630
Important question is: should you trust such untrusted downloads...? :-k

BTW Google Maps works for me:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+U ... b83440811e
(I can see output and browse a map).
--
frg

Post by frg »

Google maps has some problems in SeaMonkey because google does incorrect browser sniffing and serves faulty web pages for some time now. If you want it fully working you need to use a user agent switcher and use a pure Firefox user agent for google websites.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Melissa2009B wrote:I don't see any way there, to select only cookies for Google Maps. It appears to delete ALL cookies if I look at that section.
The goal posts are constantly changing - before it was this -
Melissa2009B wrote:
Fix that and now you bring up selective cookies (which can be fixed, but then it will change to a different problem again...)

Meantime, do the usual UA string change via about:config or extension.

I'm out.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

TPR75 wrote:
You need some extension for cookie management. I'm using Cookie Monster:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-monster/
... unfortunately it's not available any more.

Fortunately I have a copy of this extension. I converted it and modded a little:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14714414
... so you can grab it here:
https://mega.nz/#!g1ITHRqI!UweoY-3R4Ero ... ljV1yA8h7c

SHA256:

Code: Select all

d080ff23eb65fdb468d36af69469ad11b666435a02ed14982c90f9718b737630
Important question is: should you trust such untrusted downloads...? :-k
Yeah, what am I supposed to think now?
BTW Google Maps works for me:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+U ... b83440811e
(I can see output and browse a map).
I'm happy for you. Google maps works for me too, if I just go to their Google Maps page, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about, if I do a local Google search, like just for the word pizza. It tried to provide local results near me, for pizza, and shows a little Google Map at the top of the search results page. THAT is what I'm talking about. If I click on that, a bunch of stuff appears to be loading, and then I just get a blank page, instead of the actual map with local pizza places, that I get with every other browser. I cant imagine how that would relate to cookies.
Melissa
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

frg wrote:Google maps has some problems in SeaMonkey because google does incorrect browser sniffing and serves faulty web pages for some time now. If you want it fully working you need to use a user agent switcher and use a pure Firefox user agent for google websites.
I tried the Advanced Http setting to "Advertise Firefox Compatibiity" but that doesn't always help.

Oh wow! I just went and turned that setting off, and now the maps work! Wait...

Oh wow! It's repeatable! I turn off "Advertise Firefox Compatibiity", the little local maps work. I turn it back on, they don't!

We found the problem!

But I think I had it on because of other problems I was having with other sites. So it's a darned if I don't, darned if I do, situation.

But can this be reported as a bug now, to the developers?
Melissa
frg

Post by frg »

> But can this be reported as a bug now, to the developers?

Only if you report it to the google devs. And they will probably just ignore it like all the reports from others.

This is not a bug in SeaMonkey. Google parses the user agent incorrectly and decides to serve googlegock to the browser instead of the same html code as Firefox.

You can use a user agent switcher extension which presents only google with a generic user agent.

FRG
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Melissa2009B wrote: We found the problem!

But I think I had it on because of other problems I was having with other sites. So it's a darned if I don't, darned if I do, situation.
If SeaMonkey doesn't work as expected than you should blame:
1) website,
2) AV soft,
3) your ISP,
4) devs because it can be a bug.
In this order.

Not "advertising" Firefox on Google websites you'll loose some functionality (like searching with picture) but Maps will works... in some limited way (comparing to other browsers like Firefox/Chrome), AFAIR.

I'm using SeaMonkey, not Firefox. You're using SeaMonkey, not Firefox. Why should we "advertise" Firefox? Webmasters should know there are other browsers and their websites should recognize functionality, not "User Agent".

Unfortunately, some sites "requires" Firefox so I must enable "Fx advertise" for them. It is possible for specific sites only (not general).
Here some help:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14638145
--
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

TPR75 wrote:
Melissa2009B wrote: We found the problem!

If SeaMonkey doesn't work as expected than you should blame:
1) website,
2) AV soft,
3) your ISP,
4) devs because it can be a bug.
In this order.
That's helpful. :-)

Not "advertising" Firefox on Google websites you'll loose some functionality (like searching with picture) but Maps will works... in some limited way (comparing to other browsers like Firefox/Chrome), AFAIR.

I'm using SeaMonkey, not Firefox. You're using SeaMonkey, not Firefox. Why should we "advertise" Firefox?
Uh, because I heard before that SM uses a FF engine?
Webmasters should know there are other browsers and their websites should recognize functionality, not "User Agent".
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
- George Bernard Shaw ( Nazi admirer. )
Unfortunately, some sites "requires" Firefox so I must enable "Fx advertise" for them. It is possible for specific sites only (not general).
Here some help:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14638145
Melissa