Junk won't move from inbox to junk folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Junk won't move from inbox to junk folder

Post by ep2012 »

Hi,

So I had this problem with the old TB, but this is the new TB & now I have this issue with 2 e-mail accounts (maybe more, but I haven't checked them all).

I click on an e-mail (or several), click the junk button & the e-mail just sits there. Before I thought that restarting would get rid of it, but I just tried now & it's not, they are still in the inbox.

And yes, of course the settings are checked off to send to junk mail for that account in account settings.

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
ep2012

Re: Junk won't move from inbox to junk folder

Post by ep2012 »

And now in a totally different e-mail account (gmail), the mail in gmail's inbox was downloaded to TB's junk folder. When I went to highlight the mail & click on the "Not Junk" button it's not giving me that option, It shows the button as "Junk," meaning TB doesn't think it's junk even though it's in the junk folder.

The only way to get it out of the junk folder other than just moving them all manually, is to right click, go to mark & tell it that it's not junk, but I shouldn't have to do that, the "Junk" button should say not junk. :(
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See if you can manually move it to junk. The reason why I am suggesting that is not as a workaround, but to see if there is something wrong with your junk folder. Another possibility is that it defaulted to a non-existing junk folder when you checked the checkbox for "move new junk messages to".
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

ep2012 wrote:And now in a totally different e-mail account (gmail), the mail in gmail's inbox was downloaded to TB's junk folder. When I went to highlight the mail & click on the "Not Junk" button it's not giving me that option, It shows the button as "Junk," meaning TB doesn't think it's junk even though it's in the junk folder.
Check whether Gmail moved it to junk before Thunderbird ever saw it. Gmail likes to automatically classify messages. If you aren't sure who is moving it to junk re-configure Thunderbird to use a different junk folder (that didn't exist beforehand) and see where (after you restart Thunderbird) the next new junk mail message shows up.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

tanstaafl wrote:See if you can manually move it to junk. The reason why I am suggesting that is not as a workaround, but to see if there is something wrong with your junk folder. Another possibility is that it defaulted to a non-existing junk folder when you checked the checkbox for "move new junk messages to".
Oh wow, you are RIGHT, I can't move them to the junk folder in either account.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

tanstaafl wrote:
ep2012 wrote:And now in a totally different e-mail account (gmail), the mail in gmail's inbox was downloaded to TB's junk folder. When I went to highlight the mail & click on the "Not Junk" button it's not giving me that option, It shows the button as "Junk," meaning TB doesn't think it's junk even though it's in the junk folder.
Check whether Gmail moved it to junk before Thunderbird ever saw it. Gmail likes to automatically classify messages. If you aren't sure who is moving it to junk re-configure Thunderbird to use a different junk folder (that didn't exist beforehand) and see where (after you restart Thunderbird) the next new junk mail message shows up.
Well gmail doesn't have a junk folder, but if you meant the span folder, no, they were all in the inbox.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Hello, can you please help me to solve this problem. I've found a 3rd account where this is happening :(
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Replace the junk folder (whatever its called).
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

tanstaafl wrote:Replace the junk folder (whatever its called).
What do you mean? Delete it & then TB will automatically create a new one?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Create a new folder, lets call it spam. Tell the junk settings its the new junk folder. Move any junk messages you want to keep from "junk" into "spam". Delete the junk folder. Empty the trash and compact the folders.

If you want, afterwards you could temporarily disable the junk mail controls, rename spam to junk, and renable the junk mail controls, specifying junk as the junk folder. But I wouldn't bother.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

I did all of that & it's still not working :(

I had forgotten to compact, but even after doing that it's not working.

Also when I tried to compact, the bar which is next to the "unread" e-mails area which I think is where the compacting bar should be moving the blue to the far right is just sitting there. I'm not even sure it compacted anything :(

P.S. I thought I wrote this to you, but I don't see it here, that some of my e-mail accounts (not the ones that aren't working) created spam folders on their own & I've never had that happen ever before.
Last edited by ep2012 on November 7th, 2017, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know why. We seem to have ruled out the obvious causes. Since you didn't have this problem with an older version perhaps its a side effect of another add-on that doesn't work well with the new version. Try temporarily disabling your other add-ons, restart and see if that has any effect.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"the bar which is next to the "unread" e-mails area which I think is where the compacting bar should be moving the blue to the far right is just sitting there"

On my PC the behavior is very account dependent, probably because some of my accounts store messages using mbox and other maildir. For mbox accounts I never see a blue progress bar when compacting unless that triggers it to download some messages for a offline folder. Initially its just a flurry of text in the status bar at the bottom showing its progress as it compacts the various folders. For maildir accounts I see the blue progress bar when compacting.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Nope, it's not working there either :(

I even tried to compact & I now realize the compact isn't working & I tried it on 4 different accounts :(
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Hello, can you please help me.

Thanks