MozillaZine

[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (Fx 29-56)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

User avatar
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: February 27th, 2011, 10:14 am

Post Posted October 21st, 2017, 5:20 pm

Thanks
Customize Firefox 57+ UI || Classic Theme Restorer (Fx 29-56) || Classic Toolbar Buttons || CustomizeMyBird

How to use legacy add-ons after Firefox 57 release? Switch to Firefox 52 ESR or move to Waterfox browser.

mozz1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: October 22nd, 2017, 5:33 am

Post Posted October 22nd, 2017, 7:46 am

Hi Aris,

I posted this topic today - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3034457 it turned out that CTR was stopping login autofill on FF 56.

Pizzapops

User avatar
 
Posts: 46
Joined: December 22nd, 2013, 6:56 pm
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Post Posted October 22nd, 2017, 8:41 am

Aris,

I am used to having TMP set my tab max width. After looking at hints on FIREFOXCSS on Reddit.com, I tried the following:

/*********************************************************************/
/*Set Max Tab Width*/
/*********************************************************************/
.tabbrowser-tab[fadein]:not([pinned]) { max-width: 114px !important;
overflow:hidden
/**/

It works. Is there any potential problems?
Windows 10 Pro I7/16mb - work laptop, Windows 10 I7/32mb 6TB - home desktop
Cyberfox 52-64, Waterfox 55, Firefox Nightly 58, Opera 12.18, Opera Dev, Vivaldi 1.13
About 46 extensions in the Fx branches. All are portable and run from a USB 3.0 SSD drive.

Aris

User avatar
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: February 27th, 2011, 10:14 am

Post Posted October 22nd, 2017, 2:25 pm

mozz1 wrote:Hi Aris,

I posted this topic today - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3034457 it turned out that CTR was stopping login autofill on FF 56.


Nothing in CTR touches login forms.
Test a new browser profile. CTR is fully compatible to Fx 56.

Pizzapops wrote:Aris,

I am used to having TMP set my tab max width. After looking at hints on FIREFOXCSS on Reddit.com, I tried the following:

Code: Select all
/*********************************************************************/
/*Set Max Tab Width*/
/*********************************************************************/
.tabbrowser-tab[fadein]:not([pinned]) {  max-width: 114px !important;
  overflow: hidden;
}
/**/


It works. Is there any potential problems?


I couldn't find anything wrong with that code. Works for me. Looks like "overflow: hidden;" solved overflow issues with ghost tabs.
Customize Firefox 57+ UI || Classic Theme Restorer (Fx 29-56) || Classic Toolbar Buttons || CustomizeMyBird

How to use legacy add-ons after Firefox 57 release? Switch to Firefox 52 ESR or move to Waterfox browser.

bobbydole
 
Posts: 2
Joined: October 25th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Post Posted October 25th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Image
Drop-down list example

Any chance you could add a UI option to CTR that lets you set the default style of drop-down lists to how they looked like pre-FF49?

Starting from Firefox 49, Mozilla has changed the default style of the options in drop-down lists. They reduced the font size down to 0.7em (or 8pt) from 0.8em (or 10pt) and increased the padding (not sure by what amount exactly, but you can see in my case it's increased to 20px from 16px vertically). So not only did they make drop-down lists' options harder to read, they increased the vertical screen estate that they take up. AFAIK there is no about:config preference to revert to the older style.

This unnecessary change by Mozilla annoys me enough that I'm going to stick with 45.9.0 ESR for as long as possible and trick websites into thinking I'm using the latest Firefox version with the about:config preference general.useragent.override. I want to update to 52.x.x ESR eventually, but only if an add-on like CTR lets me bring back pre-FF49's default style drop-down lists. I can't just use a custom CSS add-on because then it would override websites' CSS, when its only the browser default (unset CSS) that I want to change back to what it was like before FF49.

Thanks

BlohoJo
 
Posts: 10
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 10:25 am

Post Posted October 25th, 2017, 8:10 pm

I know this probably won't get fixed this close to Firefox 57, but, just in case (I can hope [-o< )...


In an older version of Firefox (32.0.3) with Classic Theme Restorer 1.5.3 and Classic Toolbar Buttons 1.5.1, the "small icons + text" view for additional toolbar buttons places the text below the icons, like this:

Image


In a newer version of Firefox (48.0.2... I know, not the latest) with Classic Theme Restorer 1.7.2 and Classic Toolbar Buttons 1.5.9 (the latest for both), the "small icons + text" view for additional toolbar buttons only places the text below the icons that have menu drop down arrows... all other icons have thier text placed beside the icons, like this:

Image

This reduces the number of buttons you can have on the additional toolbar... it also looks awkward. :?


Any chance this could be fixed, or maybe there's even a setting in CTR or CTB that I might be missing? :?

MarkRH

User avatar
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: September 12th, 2007, 2:30 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Post Posted October 25th, 2017, 10:12 pm

bobbydole wrote:Image
Drop-down list example

Any chance you could add a UI option to CTR that lets you set the default style of drop-down lists to how they looked like pre-FF49?

Starting from Firefox 49, Mozilla has changed the default style of the options in drop-down lists. They reduced the font size down to 0.7em (or 8pt) from 0.8em (or 10pt) and increased the padding (not sure by what amount exactly, but you can see in my case it's increased to 20px from 16px vertically). So not only did they make drop-down lists' options harder to read, they increased the vertical screen estate that they take up. AFAIK there is no about:config preference to revert to the older style.

This unnecessary change by Mozilla annoys me enough that I'm going to stick with 45.9.0 ESR for as long as possible and trick websites into thinking I'm using the latest Firefox version with the about:config preference general.useragent.override. I want to update to 52.x.x ESR eventually, but only if an add-on like CTR lets me bring back pre-FF49's default style drop-down lists. I can't just use a custom CSS add-on because then it would override websites' CSS, when its only the browser default (unset CSS) that I want to change back to what it was like before FF49.

Thanks


You are probably seeing this bug: 1350258 - [e10s] <option> elements don't inherit <select> font-size which CTR can't do anything about. I noticed it after Multiprocess was enabled in 57beta and created this 1406351 - 57b5: Font of Selection Drop-down changes with Multiprocess.

You can disable multiprocess by toggling browser.tabs.remote.autostart to false in about:config to see what happens if you really must get the old look back.

bobbydole
 
Posts: 2
Joined: October 25th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 12:27 am

MarkRH wrote:
bobbydole wrote:Image
Drop-down list example

Any chance you could add a UI option to CTR that lets you set the default style of drop-down lists to how they looked like pre-FF49?

Starting from Firefox 49, Mozilla has changed the default style of the options in drop-down lists. They reduced the font size down to 0.7em (or 8pt) from 0.8em (or 10pt) and increased the padding (not sure by what amount exactly, but you can see in my case it's increased to 20px from 16px vertically). So not only did they make drop-down lists' options harder to read, they increased the vertical screen estate that they take up. AFAIK there is no about:config preference to revert to the older style.

This unnecessary change by Mozilla annoys me enough that I'm going to stick with 45.9.0 ESR for as long as possible and trick websites into thinking I'm using the latest Firefox version with the about:config preference general.useragent.override. I want to update to 52.x.x ESR eventually, but only if an add-on like CTR lets me bring back pre-FF49's default style drop-down lists. I can't just use a custom CSS add-on because then it would override websites' CSS, when its only the browser default (unset CSS) that I want to change back to what it was like before FF49.

Thanks


You are probably seeing this bug: 1350258 - [e10s] <option> elements don't inherit <select> font-size which CTR can't do anything about. I noticed it after Multiprocess was enabled in 57beta and created this 1406351 - 57b5: Font of Selection Drop-down changes with Multiprocess.

You can disable multiprocess by toggling browser.tabs.remote.autostart to false in about:config to see what happens if you really must get the old look back.

Thanks, that did the trick. I was worried that it was an intentional change.

Aris

User avatar
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: February 27th, 2011, 10:14 am

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 1:15 am

BlohoJo wrote:I know this probably won't get fixed this close to Firefox 57, but, just in case (I can hope [-o< )...


In an older version of Firefox (32.0.3) with Classic Theme Restorer 1.5.3 and Classic Toolbar Buttons 1.5.1, the "small icons + text" view for additional toolbar buttons places the text below the icons, like this:

http://tommycatkins.com/2017/additional ... s_orig.png


In a newer version of Firefox (48.0.2... I know, not the latest) with Classic Theme Restorer 1.7.2 and Classic Toolbar Buttons 1.5.9 (the latest for both), the "small icons + text" view for additional toolbar buttons only places the text below the icons that have menu drop down arrows... all other icons have thier text placed beside the icons, like this:

http://tommycatkins.com/2017/additional ... latest.png

This reduces the number of buttons you can have on the additional toolbar... it also looks awkward. :?


Any chance this could be fixed, or maybe there's even a setting in CTR or CTB that I might be missing? :?



Are you using a complete theme? I don't recall such a combination is possible with CTR and CTB.

If CTR sets any "icon+text" mode, it affects all toolbars (except tabs toolbar) and there is no effect on your navigation toolbar. Further more CTRs icons+text modes are not compatible to CTBs large custom back and forward buttons and they don't show zoom reset buttons text.

Test a new browser profile with only CTR and CTB installed in latest Fx 52ESR and check CTRs "icons+text" modes.
See how CTRs icon+text modes look for me: https://i.imgur.com/H61ybtu.png

@MarkRH
Thanks for clarifying the menulist issue.
Customize Firefox 57+ UI || Classic Theme Restorer (Fx 29-56) || Classic Toolbar Buttons || CustomizeMyBird

How to use legacy add-ons after Firefox 57 release? Switch to Firefox 52 ESR or move to Waterfox browser.

BlohoJo
 
Posts: 10
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 10:25 am

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 3:00 am

I'm using the add-on toolbarmode, an old add-on (2011) that still works in Firefox 48.0.2 and possibly later versions as well that support legacy add-ons. It allows the user to set small icons+text to only the additional toolbar. ("Style/Icons" option in context menu; CTR and View->Toolbars->Customize has to be set to icons only, if you want to try it.)

This particular machine is non-SSE2, so Firefox 48.0.2 is the max I can go.

No big deal, just an annoyance... if icons+text looks OK for you in Firefox 52ESR, then it's either just my own quirk or it's specific to 48.0.2.

Thanks for checking.

Edit - If I disable toolbarmode and use Classic Theme Restorer "Icons + Text", then it looks like your example. So it appears this issue is with toolbarmode, starting with some version of Firefox above 32.0.3. Don't think toolbarmode is going to get an update. ](*,) :lol:

BlohoJo
 
Posts: 10
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 10:25 am

Post Posted October 31st, 2017, 4:12 am

There isn't a way to modify Classic Theme Restorer's Additional Toolbar in userChrome.css, is there? If there is, how would it be specified? (#toolbar-AdditionalToolbar, #additional-toolbar, #additional-toolbar-1, etc.)

Aris

User avatar
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: February 27th, 2011, 10:14 am

Post Posted November 1st, 2017, 7:21 am

The ids of CTRs extra toolbars are
#ctraddon_extra-bar
#ctraddon_extra-bar1
#ctraddon_extra-bar2
...
#ctraddon_extra-bar20

You have to enable them in CTR first and they can only be used/modified as long CTR is active.
Customize Firefox 57+ UI || Classic Theme Restorer (Fx 29-56) || Classic Toolbar Buttons || CustomizeMyBird

How to use legacy add-ons after Firefox 57 release? Switch to Firefox 52 ESR or move to Waterfox browser.

Ree81
 
Posts: 17
Joined: January 10th, 2017, 7:39 am

Post Posted November 5th, 2017, 9:00 pm

My Firefox Button (I think it's called), the one with 3 vertical bars, is broken. After I fiddled with some CTR settings it behaves as the old orange FF button. I disabled CTR but it's still broken. How do I reset it?

Ree81
 
Posts: 17
Joined: January 10th, 2017, 7:39 am

Post Posted November 5th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Aaaaaand it's fixed.

John Liebson
 
Posts: 6462
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted November 7th, 2017, 11:21 am

A strange behavior which I certainly don't understand: With CTR 1.7.2 active, then when reading news feeds with the latest version of Brief, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/brief/ , all is correct until I first mark a group of feeds as having been read. That action causes the titles of all unread news feeds to appear in the Brief icon, taking up most, if not all, of the Add-on bar; marking subsequent groups as having been read deletes them from the Brief icon.

For example, the icon now shows, in a single row, Washington Post World News 1(the second 1 is hidden by the next entry,) NYT World 3, and so on.

This is using Windows 10 Home, version 1709, the Fall Creators Update.

Later, a new oddity: I just returned to Fx, to find that the Brief icon was showing the names of the feeds, before I even clicked on the icon to start reading news. What this looks like is a previous behavior, where a right-click on the icon would bring up a vertical listing that was otherwise hidden--or at least I believe that is how it worked. I had moved the icon to the right in the add-on bar, which helped, as other icons are still visible, with the Brief listing trailing off of the screen past the right-hand edge of Fx.

Return to Extension/Theme Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests