Help with Hotmail - Used to work with FreePops

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Aerrin99

Help with Hotmail - Used to work with FreePops

Post by Aerrin99 »

I've used Thunderbird for several months now, and I have my hotmail configured through FreePops. I've never had any problem with it before, but recently, I've started getting error messages when I try to check these accounts.

The error reads: Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server responded: UNKNOWN ERROR, PLEASE FIX.

I get this error probably 90% of the time I try to check these accounts. Maybe 10%, it works properly and gets my email. The only change I've made to anything is updating the contacts sidebar extension.

This may be a problem with FreePops, but I thought it was worth posting to see if anyone else uses FreePops with Thunderbird and knows of anything that may be causing this problem all of a sudden. Or if maybe hotmail has made some change I'm unaware of. Any tips would be very appreciated!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's Hotmail beginning to tighten up there access via outside mail clients.

See this thread (among others) -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=267530
Aerrin99

Post by Aerrin99 »

Thanks for the link - appreciated!
TygerTyger

Post by TygerTyger »

Yep. I now cannot access my Hotmail account from Thunderbird at all as from today.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

TygerTyger wrote:Yep. I now cannot access my Hotmail account from Thunderbird at all as from today.

I suggest you give the <u>Web Mail</u> extension and the accompanying Hotmail extension a try, work perfectly well here.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Mr. Liu, FreePOPS was working perfectly for me...up until this week. It seems that MS may be making changes of one sort or another on the Hotmail system and the result is difficulty accessing free Hotmail accounts via POP clients.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

I have two different programs accessing Hotmail and both work by simulating a browser (Thunderbird through the <u>Web Mail</u> extension and ePrompter).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you accessing a free Hotmail account or Hotmail Plus? If you're using a free account, I will give the Web Mail extension a try.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Then I will definitely try the Web Mail extension.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." Lazarus Long (the Senior)
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

DanRaisch wrote:"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." Lazarus Long (the Senior)

Off-topic:
Have I started something? All of a sudden, I see more and more Lazarus Long quotes here.

The problem with common sense is that sense never ain't common - Lazarus Long

Post by Guest »

I suggest you give the <u>Web Mail</u> extension and the accompanying Hotmail extension a try, work perfectly well here.[/quote]

I tried downloading and installing Web Mail but this message came up:
"Web Mail 0.0.3 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox".

I am using Firefox v1.0.4

I welcome any suggestions.

Thank you,

Marty
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Right click and save. Thunderbird can not download extensions of its own, so you'll have to do that and then tell Thunderbird where on your disk the extension is.
Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

I don't think that works either. Since I'm using that and can't get my hotmail messages.
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

There are already complaints in the Webmail extension forum about not being able to access Hotmail using the extension.

As mentioned, FreePops is disabled at present, as is MrPostman too. The FreePops developer is working on the problem currently.

For those who access Hotmail via WebDav through OE/Outlook, or from a client through Hotmail Popper there is no login problem