returning to previous page

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
shakushinnen

returning to previous page

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
When I hit the back button, after following a link, I don't get back to the position in the page where the link was; instead, I usually go to the top of the page the link was on. Is there a way of fixing this?
Thanks,
..... john
makaiguy

Re: returning to previous page

Post by makaiguy »

Change your viewing habits. Instead of left-clicking on the link, right-click on it to open the link in a new tab. When done with the tab just close it to return to the original page, which will be just as you left it.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Doug,
Yes, I may have to resort to that; but it used to work by simply hitting the back button and I would be returned to the same place on the page I was originally at. I'm hoping someone can tell me what setting to change to get that.
Thanks,
... john
therube

Post by therube »

When I hit the back button, after following a link
All pages? Only some pages (URLs)?

Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi therube,
Yes, it happens also in Safe Mode. I can't say how ubiquitous it is. It's particularly irritating when scanning adds on Kijiji.
For example. Go to Kijiji .... https://www.kijiji.ca/b-camera-camcorde ... t=priceAsc
Scroll down a few items, and open one. Then see if your back button takes you to the same spot (ad listing) you clicked on in the initial page. Mine used to, but for some reason it no longer does. Now the back button takes me to the top of the initial page.
...... john
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:Hi therube,
Yes, it happens also in Safe Mode. I can't say how ubiquitous it is. It's particularly irritating when scanning adds on Kijiji.
For example. Go to Kijiji .... https://www.kijiji.ca/b-camera-camcorde ... t=priceAsc
Scroll down a few items, and open one. Then see if your back button takes you to the same spot (ad listing) you clicked on in the initial page. Mine used to, but for some reason it no longer does. Now the back button takes me to the top of the initial page.
...... john
I can confirm such behavior... on that site only. It's something (script?) on that website. If you'll find it and block it then SeaMonkey will work like you want.
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
Right. Well then, it's not a setting problem. Thanks for that. What do you mean by "If you'll find it and block it then SeaMonkey will work like you want."
Thanks,
..... john
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:Hi,
Right. Well then, it's not a setting problem. Thanks for that. What do you mean by "If you'll find it and block it then SeaMonkey will work like you want."
Thanks,
..... john
Sigh...! Block this with e.g. ADB+:

Code: Select all

||ca.classistatic.com/static/V/5316/js/bootstrap.js
... and you will no longer experience "bad previous page".
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Ah, OK. I'll give that a try. So, you know that ADB+ will block it?
.... john
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:Ah, OK. I'll give that a try. So, you know that ADB+ will block it?
.... john
Yes, I searched and tested it for you. On this particular website that particular Java Script caused such odd behavior. Block it and one problem will go.
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Thanks. I appreciate your help.
...... john
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
I found the entry, but it severally affect that page graphics, when I disable it. Is this what you found?
.... john
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:Hi,
I found the entry, but it severally affect that page graphics, when I disable it. Is this what you found?
.... john
Blocking scripts on a website means user is messing with some functionality of that site. You loose something, you gain something.

You can write to admins and ask for a change that will stop mowing to a top when you go back. Maybe there are setting in preferences of that website. Maybe they can make one...

EDIT: I noticed "dynamic" changes in address of this JS so during every visit it can be different. In a place of numbers put asterisk ("*" without quotes).
Last edited by TPR75 on October 27th, 2017, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Thanks. I may do that.
.... john
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

makaiguy wrote:Change your viewing habits. Instead of left-clicking on the link, right-click on it to open the link in a new tab. When done with the tab just close it to return to the original page, which will be just as you left it.
Hi makaiguy,
You're idea works pretty well.
Thanks,
.... john