[Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Denver_80203

Re: [Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Post by Denver_80203 »

What's the point in that? You can just go to to the location where you want the new bookmark in the sidebar then just drop the tab there.

I don't use side bar. I use the bookmarks drop down menu where I have hundreds of well organized bookmarks in folders. When I dive down into subfolders I want to add a bookmark into a particular folder. I don't know what you might have been using "add bookmark here" for but that has ALWAYS been the point for me.
Anyway I have the ability to right click, "add new bookmark" down in those folders, but the dialog that pops up is not populated with the current site -so it's a bit tedious. I'm simply suggesting an extension item be added to the right-click menu in the bookmarks that adds the current page to the parent folder.

Let me know if there is more i can explain to you.

Not familair with embedding an image.. see a bit more of what I'm suggesting here:
https://imgur.com/YFAC15e

post edit: I had never seen the drag tab to folder option. Thanks that might save my bacon but I am curious if my suggestion is possible.
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

Denver_80203 wrote:
What's the point in that? You can just go to to the location where you want the new bookmark in the sidebar then just drop the tab there.

I don't use side bar. I use the bookmarks drop down menu where I have hundreds of well organized bookmarks in folders. When I dive down into subfolders I want to add a bookmark into a particular folder. I don't know what you might have been using "add bookmark here" for but that has ALWAYS been the point for me.
Anyway I have the ability to right click, "add new bookmark" down in those folders, but the dialog that pops up is not populated with the current site -so it's a bit tedious. I'm simply suggesting an extension item be added to the right-click menu in the bookmarks that adds the current page to the parent folder.

Not familair with embedding an image.. see a bit more of what I'm suggesting here:

post edit: I had never seen the drag tab to folder option. Thanks that might save my bacon but I am curious if my suggestion is possible.
That's exactly what I value this extension for. However in addition to that, the simple ability for it to add the bookmark to the top of my sub folder list, otherwise its useless at the bottom of a long list. I have no idea what goes through Mozilla's mind adding a bookmark to the bottom of a list!
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

@ Denver

Just for the record & FYI, the use you stated is also my exact use. Lots of Bookmarks too. Am with ya on that!!

@ dougjp

looks like the same for you.

Cheers all, Jim
It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.
avada

Post by avada »

Denver_80203 wrote:

Well, I would recommend using the sidebar instead for anyone. The Bookmarks menu is so tedious I stopped using it a decade ago or so.

I have many bookmarks my self. Some 10000 or such.
Denver_80203

Post by Denver_80203 »

The Bookmarks menu is so tedious I stopped using it a decade ago or so.

Yeah, so... ever try "add bookmark here" -to subject of the forum? Again, what did you use it for?
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

Denver_80203 wrote:

Yeah, so... ever try "add bookmark here" -to subject of the forum? Again, what did you use it for?
Yup, add bookmark here solves the problems of Firefox without resorting to sidebars open or drag and drop or placement of the latest bookmark on a folder list.
avada

Post by avada »

Denver_80203 wrote:

I rarely used it. But it was convenient that it could show the the full content and especially, the keyword of the current page's bookmark. I rarely used the star for bookmarking, because I tend to bookmark multiple pages at once. Lots simpler to just navigate to the appropriate folder and drag them after each other, or use "bookmark all tabs" in case of several pages.
I didn't even know there was such a context menu item. (Which is funny, because that's what the addon was named for apparently. :) )

Even so, the sidebar is still superior WITH ABH. That mouse hover based usage is horrible. You can't even type to get to items, because it only works for the first letter... And even more annoyingly it opens the bookmark if you type one with a unique first letter. Also you can't open multiple multiple items conveniently because it closes after you click one.
It just sucks.
dougjp wrote:Yup, add bookmark here solves the problems of Firefox without resorting to sidebars open or drag and drop or placement of the latest bookmark on a folder list.
Solves a problem. To which ~equally good solutions exist.
You don't need to keep open a sidebar, only when you use it. Instead of a "resort" it's better as a first choice.
greatlord

Post by greatlord »

Makyen wrote:The link you provided for your image expired, so I'm not 100% certain what you were referring to. However, I've got a good guess.

The Folders and Tags sections are populated by JavaScript within Firefox (nothing WebExtensions can change). There's nothing you can do in *userChrome.css* to get them to be populated. If you click on the "expand" button once, they will be populated. They will stay with the same display when you re-open the popup. This means that they will most likely be wrong, unless you click on the "expand" button again, each time you open the popup. However, they appear to be usable, even if you don't click on that button.

"Keyword" and "Description":
The "Keyword" and "Description" will not be populated unless you enter something in those fields. These fields are not enabled, nor enable-able, in the normal view. If you do enter something, it will be assigned to the bookmark, in many cases. In other cases, it won't. These inputs do not work reliably. They will contain erroneous information under most conditions. The values you enter may, or may not, be properly recorded. Testing indicated that it will depend on the situation. I recommend against showing the "Keyword" and "Description" fields, as they will not do what you expect them to do in many situations. In my opinion, it's better to not show them and have to enter the information elsewhere than to have them work erroneously.

Folders tree:
The auto-expanded Folders tree mostly worked. However, there were cases where it did not function correctly, and there may be other cases where it does not work as expected. When editing a bookmark, it was sometimes necessary to click on multiple different folders prior to the desired one actually taking effect. If the bookmark is in a location that is not visible (i.e. not int he Bookmark Toolbar), then there is no visual indication that the operation was not as expected. Thus, I would hesitate prior to establishing this as automatically open all the time, as there will be instances where it doesn't work the way you expect.

Tags:
I did not test Tags.

userChrome.css:
If you want to show just the folder tree view and tags selector, you can use:

Code: Select all

#editBMPanel_tagsSelectorRow,
#editBMPanel_folderTreeRow {
	visibility: visible;
}
In the past, I've also adjusted the size of the folder tree:

Code: Select all

#editBMPanel_folderTree    {
    min-width:400px !important; /*Adjust to the width you desire. */
    min-height:500px !important; /*Adjust to the height you desire. */
}
You'll have to choose for yourself if you want these items to be always show, despite the fact that they will show erroneous information, and will result in erroneous operation, under some conditions.
I see. Thanks for the code! I'll probably have to go back to manual since, I actually didn't notice it was putting bookmarks into "Other bookmarks" this entire time #-o
srs06

Post by srs06 »

[
Options for continuing to use ABH2
Your only real options for continuing to use ABH2 are ...
It still works in Pale Moon. I've been using Pale Moon some and I may fully cut over. But I would say I probably haven't used it enough to know the downsides yet. There are one or two other plug-ins I had to give up in Firefox that also still work in Pale Moon. So that's a plus. Stability might also sell me. This thing where newer releases of Firefox go off and chew up most of the memory on Windows has gotten a bit tiresome. It seemed to be improving at one point but recently I've had to kill it in Task Manager a lot more again.

I do loads of bookmarking and ABH2 was key to that. I've been avoiding bookmarking -- that's how clunky I find the standard Firefox bookmarking in comparison. If nothing else, at least allow that bookmarks dialog to be sized. For a big hierarchy it's like trying to navigate through a peep hole.
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

Is there going to be an update for addbookmarkhere that works with the latest firefox versions? I had to revert to FF Version 55.0.3 to still being able to use it and wonder if it makes sense to wait or if it has been discontinued?
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

hey Guys, just ran into this (see below url) on adding bookmarks to folders in Google chrome. Is another possibility so sharing the info. Jim

https://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-Bookmark-on-Google-Chrome
It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.
gramesh_vns1

Post by gramesh_vns1 »

Sleepwalker wrote:Is there going to be an update for addbookmarkhere that works with the latest firefox versions? I had to revert to FF Version 55.0.3 to still being able to use it and wonder if it makes sense to wait or if it has been discontinued?
Almost same in my case. The following are the versions

Add Bookmark Here ² Version -- 55.0.20170705
Firefox -- 56.0.2 (64-bit)

Firefox got updated automatically to the above version thereafter Add Bookmark Here ² stopped working (it is also showing "LEGACY" word and disabled in the addons under tools). Please tell me what is the solution? Need I to revert to old version of Firefox to get the addon work again?
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

gramesh_vns1 wrote:
Sleepwalker wrote:Is there going to be an update for addbookmarkhere that works with the latest firefox versions? I had to revert to FF Version 55.0.3 to still being able to use it and wonder if it makes sense to wait or if it has been discontinued?
Almost same in my case. The following are the versions

Add Bookmark Here ² Version -- 55.0.20170705
Firefox -- 56.0.2 (64-bit)

Firefox got updated automatically to the above version thereafter Add Bookmark Here ² stopped working (it is also showing "LEGACY" word and disabled in the addons under tools). Please tell me what is the solution? Need I to revert to old version of Firefox to get the addon work again?
Yes, as explained in most of the previous pages' posts, the current and future versions won't support this or the other 'legacy' add-ons. Suggest getting Firefox ESR. It remains to be seen if Firefox 57 or later ever introduces any user friendly bookmark addition features during the period until ESR no longer works. I'm counting on reading details of same if it ever occurs (ie, as a minimum; no bookmark sidebar forced to be used, no adding a new bookmark to the bottom of a list of bookmarks, and a bookmark dropdown listing that is as long as the user wants). Simple common sense stuff.
gramesh_vns1

Post by gramesh_vns1 »

@Sleepwalker, Please tell me the steps to revert back to FF Version 55.0.3.
tanstaafl_bh

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

Ok, Add Bookmark Here2 says it is compatible with 56.*.

So, it either is or it isn't.

It sounds like it isn't.

I know mine was working with 56 before the update to .0.2

I'd really like to get this working again, as I installed a portable version to keep a Firefox that is actually usable for me while I experiment with 57 to see if I'm even going to be able to use it on an ongoing basis, or if I need to just stick with 56 forever (I hope not, but things aren't looking promising - without Tab Mix Plus it will be very difficult, and I really unhappy with the limited functionality of Tree Style Tabs so far.

On a positive note, 57 does seem quite snappy, the default Theme seems ok, and I am able to get the main UI about the way I like it. But there are a LOT of little things that make all the difference. I guess time will tell.