extra large email

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
mtwine

extra large email

Post by mtwine »

I seem to have an extra large email that is taking too long to download and is blocking all the following 5 emails.... what to do? thanks!
DanRaisch

Re: extra large email

Post by DanRaisch »

Log onto that account's webmail page using SeaMonkey's browser and review that message. It may have a very large image attached that is causing the problem. In any event, you can either delete that message on the webmail page or move it to a server folder not being accessed by SeaMonkey.
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

thanks, but I need a step by step: how do I log onto the webmail page in the browser? tx
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Who is the email provider?
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

I use Fairpoint's Webmail.
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

I just went to my Fairpoint Webmail page, looked thru the messages waiting to be sent to SeaMonkey and deleted all but one, with only 10KB. I then tried SeaMonkey email again and it stil won't download it. Thoughts? tx.
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

And now when I press get messages in SeaMonkey email, nothing happens! There's a message when I first open it that it's processing. Then nothing. Yikes! tx.
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

Well, now it's back to saying it's downloading but nothing comes thru. I checked my Fairpoint email and I have 5 - all important - none of which is over 33KB. tx.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please confirm how the account is set up in SeaMonkey, as POP or IMAP? Menu path Window->Mail & Newsgroups->Edit->Mail & Newsgroup settings->Server Settings->Server Type (at top right.)
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

It's set to POP. Any other ideas? Nothing seems to want to migrate to SeaMonkey from Fairpoint. tx
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close SeaMonkey and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart SeaMonkey and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

ok, I backed up my profile onto a thumb drive. Not sure how I can close SeaMonkey and navigate to the \Mail subfolder - if it should be in the backup profile, it's not. Otherwise don't I have to open SeaMonkey to get to that folder? Sorry to be so dumb....
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

OK, I found the mail folder in the profile folder via troubleshooting info. So I now have it on my thumb drive. Is this where I delete it? tx

ps since I lost all my inbox contents a few years ago I move everything to another folder as soon as I read it. So I don't have anything in my inbox.

But it still won't download any new emails.

tx.
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

And I compact all my email files regularly. tx
mtwine

Post by mtwine »

I opened the profile folder in troubleshooting info (under help) and after closing SeaMonkey deleted the inbox.msf and the blank one above it. When I opened up SeaMonkey again the clicked on the Inbox nothing happened. Not sure if I did the right thing.....any other ideas? tx.