MozillaZine

Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
mightyglydd

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 8:32 am

Wow, a browser with no add-ons (and damn near no 'useful' ones available..see top Web Extension downloads) crashes less... I'll alert the media.
@How many of us testing 57 have all 'Firefox Data Collection and Use' options unchecked ?
#KeepFightingMichael

Virtual_ManPL

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 9:00 am

mightyglydd wrote:[...]@How many of us testing 57 have all 'Firefox Data Collection and Use' options unchecked ?
I have all (interaction, technical, crash reports) data collection gathering enabled to make sure that my "voice" as tester of pre-alpha Firefox will be heard, heh, pipe dream :vamp:
I even installed Firefox Pioneer extension, unfortunately it doesn't do anything yet as I'm seeing. :lildevil:
Virtualfox persona

Are you ready for deprecation of XUL & XBL & XPCOM extensions? Not?! Try Firefox ESR 52

mightyglydd

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 9:54 am

They want our inside leg measurement and phone numbers too.. :P
#KeepFightingMichael

flaneurb

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 10:01 am

mightyglydd wrote:...
@How many of us testing 57 have all 'Firefox Data Collection and Use' options unchecked ?

I haven't turned off any of their data gathering. That way, they'll know that at least one user needs userChrome.css :)

As for extensions, uBlock origin and Stylus are all I have, not to mention the ones bundled with the browser (system extensions?).

MarkRH

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 1:15 pm

I have 23 extensions with 21 active all the time. I do have telemetry enabled but not the survey part.

Aris

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 2:19 pm

flaneurb wrote:...
I haven't turned off any of their data gathering. That way, they'll know that at least one user needs userChrome.css :)

I doubt their data collection methods incorporate userChrome.css/userContent.css usage.

Mouse5

Post Posted October 26th, 2017, 2:32 pm

mightyglydd wrote:Wow, a browser with no add-ons (and damn near no 'useful' ones available..see top Web Extension downloads) crashes less... I'll alert the media.

i have that unchecked

Lurtz

Post Posted October 28th, 2017, 3:25 am

I've been at Mozilla for seven years now doing various things. Just over two years ago I was tasked with my biggest project yet at Mozilla, transitioning the add-ons community over to WebExtensions. In about three weeks Firefox Quantum will go out to all the Firefox users and WebExtensions will be the only way to run an add-on on Firefox 57.
[...]
For me its been hard not to take this project personally, there are many people who disagree with the decision to do this. They let us know about this regularly in many different ways. I've never encountered this at Mozilla to this level. That's given me a real appreciation for what others at Mozilla have had to deal with.
[...]
I remain steadfastly convinced that this is one of the best things we could do for Firefox and I'm proud the work that's been done. It's been a big change and with it comes risk and uncertainty. To say that I'm a little nervous about how this will go, will be an understatement.

But here we are, in about three weeks Quantum will be rolling out and there won't be legacy add-ons.

http://www.agmweb.ca/2017-10-27-here-we-are/

mightyglydd

Post Posted October 28th, 2017, 10:47 am

^^Why did you fail to inform us about the Totally Awesome new AMO ? :-k
Last edited by mightyglydd on October 28th, 2017, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#KeepFightingMichael

Virtual_ManPL

Post Posted October 28th, 2017, 11:45 am

Lurtz wrote:
[...]
But here we are, in about three weeks Quantum will be rolling out and there won't be legacy add-ons.

http://www.agmweb.ca/2017-10-27-here-we-are/
So is it still about three weeks to the beginning of massive migration? ;)
I really wonder if it speeds up decreasing usage share of Firefox
or maybe stops it for moment or maybe it will grows.

mightyglydd wrote:^^Why did fail to inform us about the Totally Awesome new AMO ? :-k
Because there are no any extensions? ;)
Oh, they're, just some, but less than in Opera extension list. :lol:
Virtualfox persona

Are you ready for deprecation of XUL & XBL & XPCOM extensions? Not?! Try Firefox ESR 52

GHM113

Post Posted October 28th, 2017, 12:06 pm

As Stalin said, the death of one addon is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic :-"
Sorry for my poor English.

mightyglydd

Post Posted October 28th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Virtual_ManPL wrote:Because there are no any extensions? ;)
Oh, they're, just some, but less than in Opera extension list. :lol:

That's not fair, I found four !!!!!!!!!! :P
Oh.....after 'Trying' the new AMO, (and frakking trying it is, I don't watch Andy Pandy anymore) it became default, until I removed the cookies and the semi sane current one came back.
Last edited by mightyglydd on October 28th, 2017, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#KeepFightingMichael

Frank Lion

Post Posted October 28th, 2017, 12:50 pm

GHM113 wrote:As Stalin said, the death of one addon is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic :-"

Apparently, Stalin was well known for using Windows XP, unlike Hitler who moved on to use Windows Vista -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSF39LmpxCY
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

mightyglydd

Post Posted October 28th, 2017, 12:58 pm

It's a beautiful autumnal day, we haven't been nuked..yet..and someone has to mention that Commie!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77wKp3eywzg
#KeepFightingMichael

Mouse5

Post Posted October 28th, 2017, 2:45 pm

what "New AMO " is this? got a Pic of it? ( im still getting the old one )

Return to Firefox Builds