Extensions

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Claud43

Extensions

Post by Claud43 »

Hi, it is really sad how Firefox is taking away the extensions features that made it easy for people. Like keyboard shortcuts for Xmarks. I realize you are trying to make Firefox better and safer but you are also making it a pain for people. For myself, I don't know how much longer I will stay with Firefox because if this.

Claudia
DanRaisch

Re: Extensions

Post by DanRaisch »

You're complaining in the wrong place. Check out the disclaimer in the right hand column of this page. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.

Note that complaining to Mozilla itself is not going to change their decisions on this or their path going forward.
Claud43

Post by Claud43 »

I am so sorry it won't happens again. Oh I know complaining to Mozilla itself is not going to change their decisions on this or their path going forward. That is too bad, Firefox is a great browser.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No worries, no harm done. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think we (here) could actually "fix the program" for you and other folks.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

I don't get it. Lots of folks are not happy with the path Mozilla has taken from a completely modifiable interface to a restricted one. I hear people say they will go to Google Chrome as a result. Isn't Chrome the path Mozilla is following? If so, why not stay on Fx? There are lots of nice things coming down the pipe for Fx.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

firefox is not following chrome, in no way. upcoming firefox 57 is the result of the past. chrome arrived on stage 6 years after firefox and they did not started with the same great plans/visions as mozilla did - in fact chrome had nothing, just a plain browser, no extensions. if google had went this way chrome would have been dead in a year. they decided to let user have extensions - but anytime chrome had the control, so extensions never were such intrusive on browsers behavior like firefox. now mozilla is doing the hand brake return/emergency stop because they can not bear any longer this situation.

although firefox is now capable to "use" webextensions the model for webextensions is much more sharper/clearer/more precisely defined than the old legacy extension system. webextension now have permissions - user can read those permissions (if those are needed). webextensions are not allowed to use browser dialogs or pages, they have to use their own dialogs. and they are not allowed to screw on firefox settings. at least firefox is much more stable and reliable and the modern multi-process structure makes him more powerful using modern cpu's.

ofc not all users are pleased, and they dont hesitate to write down their anger. but that wont help - the decision was made.