Can't change the Chinese "new tab." [Mac.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nevergonna

Can't change the Chinese "new tab." [Mac.]

Post by nevergonna »

Hello Everyone,

I hope that the topic is in the right place.

I work in China and my company paid me a computer. I installed Firefox on it through the app store then I saw my new tab is this one

I tried to get rid of it but I dont see how I can do that.
- I looked at the options, nothing caught my attention
- I tried to install add-ons like "blank new tab", did not worked
- I reainstalled firefox through the website of Mozilla, did not worked.

It is not so bad... just a bit irritating. The characters 爱淘宝 means "love taobao" (Chinese's amazon/ebay). So it is a bit annoying to see that everytime I open a new tab.

Have a nice day !
Last edited by LIMPET235 on October 29th, 2017, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Mac] to the title.
LIMPET235

Re: can't change the Chinese "new tab"

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
therube

Re: Can't change the Chinese "new tab." [Mac.]

Post by therube »

(Seems you can no longer set about:blank in FF.)
FF's party-line answer looks to be this extension, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -override/.

Might try that.
(Though if the extension you already tried didn't work...?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

Limpet & Rube - Shouldn't there be a gear icon near the upper right of a new tab window? That is where you can configure it to be blank. I see no gear in the picture. (unless I am not understanding the question properly). Is the Chinese version of Firefox "different" in any way due to.....well....political reasons (such is the case with Google). I don't know, just bringing it up. Looks odd for a stock install with the 爱淘宝 next to the search box, unless of course that is the default in the Chinese version. Again - dunno.

nevergonna - FYI: ibb.co is known for hosting malware, I would discontinue using it for image hosting or anything for that matter.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi 8-bit,
Yep. There should be "a gear icon near the upper right of a new tab window?"
There is here anyway.
Not sure why his version is different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you re-installed the Mozilla version, did you also delete the old Profile first?
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

therube

Post by therube »

If you're seeing the "gear" then you are not at "about:blank", but rather a page that looks blank.
(Subtle but significant difference, well, IMO at least.)

view-source:about:newtab
view-source:about:blank
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

therube wrote:If you're seeing the "gear" then you are not at "about:blank", but rather a page that looks blank.
(Subtle but significant difference, well, IMO at least.)
True, but if you open a new tab, then you are at about:newtab - correct? That's what the OP seemed to be mentioning....

Can you explain further as I need clarification/info about your post - I am curious as to what you are getting at. Thanks!
therube

Post by therube »

Well, I'm not quite sure actually.
But if I want a "blank" page, aka about:blank, & I interrogate that page, I get (not really sure, what), "nul", which is exactly what I expect, & want (I suppose).
If I take a look at a "blank" page, aka about:newtab, well I see a html web page.

Does it matter, not sure?
Does it matter - to me? Not really, but given the choice, my choice, says blank over newtab.
One is loading "content". One is giving me an "empty slate".

1. newtab
2. blank

Whatever that crap is in my "blank" newtab, I have no clue?
Maybe because it is with a new Profile (as it is), maybe that crap will go away?
In any case, that's besides the point. If I want blank, give me blank, not some dumb, hold my hand & guide me (or whatever it is), crap.

https://s25.postimg.org/5x5j5ig4d/Firef ... .blank.png
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

therube wrote:One is loading "content". One is giving me an "empty slate".

1. newtab
2. blank

Whatever that crap is in my "blank" newtab, I have no clue?
Maybe because it is with a new Profile (as it is), maybe that crap will go away?
In any case, that's besides the point. If I want blank, give me blank, not some dumb, hold my hand & guide me (or whatever it is), crap.
I see your point, and yes the extraneous stuff in about:newtab will go away once you configure some things in prefs and click on the gear and choose "Show blank page" (some content is still loaded nonetheless). Still, point well taken - blank should be BLANK. Thanks for clarifying.
nevergonna

Post by nevergonna »

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your input.

@therube : the add-on "blank page override" did not worked either. I tried to put a blank page or a website as new page, I still get the same thing :/

@8-bit : thanks, I did not knew about the malware in this hosting website.
Well I would not be surprised that for political reasons this has to be the norm. I'm just wondering how is this possible technically. My last firefox was downloaded in Europe and I still get the Chinese version.

@LIMPET235 : this gear thing is "preference" right ? If yes I can access to it by "open menu".

I can still click on a button on on this Chinese version that hides the 爱淘宝, but then no mosaic with my favorite website...

Also this topic made me realize two others problems :

Problem 2
I also tried to put an other page for when I open a new tab, can't seem to be possible.
I thought it could be the "homepage", but not possible.

Problem 3
Even though I did NOT checked the box "Open new windows in a new tab instead" in option I often get a new windows instead of a new tab when I do a simple click.
So I always end up doing a "control + click" and thats a bit bothering as well ^^
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi nevergonna,
If you left click the Gear icon, you should get a drop down,
where you can select the "Blank Page" option.
It does so here. Not sure how the Chinese version interprets/actions it though.

re; Your Home Page...
Can you open just that site & then go to your, Prefs > Options & select > "Use Current Page/s?"

nevergonna

Post by nevergonna »

Hello @LIMPET235,

I do not have a gear button, I just have the three small horizontal bar that gives me acces to all the options (new windows, new private windows, find, options, etc.)

I meant i thought that by making a new tab it would automatically bring me to "www.qwant.com" (adress of the homepage i wanted) but instead it still gives me this crappy webpage where there is an advertisement.
When i put "restore to default" the home page I get a "about:cehome" with a blank page, but when i push new tab I still get the Chinese version I want to get rid of.

This is incredible, I used Firefox for many years on PC and I never had a problem like this.

Is there anyone from Mozilla who could explain this ?

Have a nice week-end
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Sorry about the reference to the Gear icon. :)

When you installed the official "mozilla.org" version, did you delete the Profile or at least move it somewhere?

Try the official site again after moving your Profile.
Back it up somewhere, say to desktop or ?
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

Here's the full program. Just choose your desired version.
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Make sure that all of Firefox is un-installed.
Because you are running a Mac, I really cannot help anymore.