No brainer help re Java please!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
terrypin

No brainer help re Java please!

Post by terrypin »

In one of my regular forums it appears that several essential features (formating, file attachment, etc) are no longer accessible. I'm using Firerfox 56.0.2 (64-bit). I'm guessing the forum might be dependent on Java. I was dismayed to learn a couple of weeks ago that Java support has apparently been dropped by Mozilla. (And no other browser supplier?)

I'd appreciate recommendations on how to proceed please. It seems I can either abandon Firefox after several decades or reconcile myself to regular 'View this page in IE' for those sites that have a Java dependency?

Hey - THIS site seems to have a similar problem for me! Just tried in vain to apply Bold to a string of text above. At least the icon tools are accessible here, but they don't work.

--------------------

EDIT: Meanwhile I installed the ESR version. First the 64-bit. Then I read a note I'd missed saying that Java was only supported on the 32-bit ESR version. So I installed that, and that's the vesion I'm using to post this edit. But still no change to my problem. And I don't see Java in the list of plugins.

I'm now thoroughly confused on a bunch of things.
1. Should I be using the 32 or 64 bit ESR version? Despite the above, at this page
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ns-manager
I read that "The Java 7 plugin will only run in 64-bit browsers so confirm that you aren't running Firefox in 32-bit mode."

2. Why does the 32 bit ESR Firefox have no Java plugn?

3. Looking at Add/Remove programs in Windows (and Revo Uninstaller, my preference) I now see only the two ESR versions. Not 56.0.2. Where would I find that if I want to revert?

4. Could I revert to an earlier version that still has a Java Plugin?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Win 10 Pro, Waterfox 56.1.0 replaced Firefox 56.0.2, TMP 0.5.0.5pre
terrypin

Re: No brainer help re Java please!

Post by terrypin »

This in answer to a one-worder reply, ”Link?”, which oddly I can longer see in the thread (which I’m now reading in Chrome).

https://www.magix.info/uk/video-forum/m ... cs_answers
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Sorted! Turned out to be a JavaScript problem, not Java - two quite different beasts, although I confess I've never fully understood the distinction. Both the forum that prompted my post and this FF Support forum need the former, and it had somehow become disabled.

Could someone please summarise what negative consequences I might encounter (now back in 54.0.6) as a result of Java no longer being supported?
James

Post by James »

If only the JavaScript kept the original name of LiveScript to distinguish the two better. http://kb.mozillazine.org/JavaScript_is_not_Java

You likely used the Java Plugin from Oracle very little over the years. NPAPI Plugins which includes the Java Plugin from Oracle has not been supported by browsers like Chrome/Chromium and Opera since 2015. Even Oracle is in process of discontinuing their Java Plugin as of Java 9 even though it is still supported with Java 8.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks James, that's helpful.

Digressing OT a bit, is there some way to tell (or log), when Java is being used on my PC?
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

It may not be used at all. I have not had Java installed for a couple of years and not once been told it was required. I do not want it on my system due to it's regular security issues.

You could try uninstalling it, if you do find you need it then you can re-install it.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Tony, may well do that. Although if it's possible I'd prefer to know in advance if anything is actually using it. I've just switched on the 'Enable logging' option via Settings > Control Panel > Java and am now trying to access the log file if Win 10 will allow me!

allande

Post by allande »

The first version of Firefox 32-bit that disabled Java was Firefox 52 so if you noticed no change at that time you may not need java.

I don't know about the log, but java has the option of showing an icon when it is running. There is a setting in the java control panel - use this except enable it https://www.java.com/en/download/help/d ... a_icon.xml
If you do so, and maybe also uncheck java quick start, you will normally not see any java icon in the tray. But it will appear if you go to a site that uses java in a browser where it is supported.
Java is rare to find as a home user, it was used more on-site in corporations.
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

This HP-Envy I7, new on Dec. 13, 2014, has never had Java installed and nothing has ever requested it.
:-)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Since you are using Fx 56, you won't be using Java from your browser. I believe the only browser than can still use it that's "modern" or "up to date" is IE. Chrome? No. Firefox? No. Opera? No. Safari? Maybe. There may be other desktop applications that rely on it. I believe some of the CAD programs I use at work still have a JRE, but I don't think they use it.

I only recently had to go down the Java rabbit hole because the FCC requires Java 6 to file online. Java 6! Not even Java 8! Application would not load with Java 8, so I had to sign up for an Oracle account to download and install a version that hasn't been updated since 2013! A crime, really.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
James

Post by James »

smsmith wrote:Since you are using Fx 56, you won't be using Java from your browser. I believe the only browser than can still use it that's "modern" or "up to date" is IE. Chrome? No. Firefox? No. Opera? No. Safari? Maybe.
Firefox Yes ...that is if you use Firefox 52 ESR and only the 32-bit version on Windows. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks all, appreciate the follow-ups.

One post elsewhere suggested that Java is widely needed in online banking, a facility I do use, so I’m inclined to leave it alone.
therube

Post by therube »

If you have Java installed, disable it in your browser.
You'll shortly find out if you need it. (Doubtful.)
(Very slight possibility that some "brokerage" type account might want Java, but even that might be a stretch these days.)

If your bank requires Java, might be time to inquire about a new bank.
(Actually, its always time to inquire about a new bank, but finding one that is worth a damn, these days...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript