The first official 20171031 builds are out

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Peja Stija

Re: The first official 20171031 builds are not yet out

Post by Peja Stija »

Lurtz wrote:You don't have to deactivate APZ anymore.
Thanks, but reverting that setting didn't resolve the insta-crashes.
I guess it's a no-go for AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series owners.:(
tauio111

Post by tauio111 »

Lurtz wrote:WebRender is really usable now on win64. Great progress over the last few weeks!
Scrolling with APZ is mostly smooth now, no permanent crashes or rendering errors, performance is good. On some sites you notice a huge increase in rendering performance with up to half of my R9 390 being used. Maybe it really can be activated in Nightly 59 :)
Text still seems rather blurry on my 4k display with 150% windows scaling though.

Exciting times ahead... :)
I do not see any artifacts in the website rendering anymore, so thats that. I do however notice the wrong RGB order being used on the anti-aliasing of the fonts which creates an ugly colorful-blurry look. The scrolling performance is also horrid for me at the moment with a AMD RX 560.

Are you getting buttery smooth scrolling?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Looks like the Nightly build just kicked off - check in a few hours I guess....
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Just turned on WR again. Yes, it is quite usable so far. Google Maps going black is fixed. However, fonts on some sites are darker than before. Wikipedia is such a site. Also some windows and menus start out black before becoming normal again. Also clicking on the search icon in the search box displays an empty list of search engines for a second or so then they appear. This is without anything entered in the search box.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
alex_mayorga

Post by alex_mayorga »

¡Hola!

Also the "awesome" bar dropdown takes a half second to draw with gfx.webrender.enabled;true

Known bug?

¡Gracias!
toolong

Post by toolong »

alex_mayorga wrote:¡Hola!

Also the "awesome" bar dropdown takes a half second to draw with gfx.webrender.enabled;true

Known bug?

¡Gracias!

WOW! That long!! :-)
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

The Nightly completed and is showing on the TC but so far when I check for updates its telling me I'm up to date with yesterday's build. How long does it take before its released once its complete on the 'TC' >?

I usually manually install all builds, but last couple of days been testing out the updater since I've not used it in years....
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

The Official Firefox Quantum 57.0b13 is out.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 ID:20171030163911
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

streetwolf wrote:Just turned on WR again. Yes, it is quite usable so far. Google Maps going black is fixed. However, fonts on some sites are darker than before. Wikipedia is such a site. Also some windows and menus start out black before becoming normal again. Also clicking on the search icon in the search box displays an empty list of search engines for a second or so then they appear. This is without anything entered in the search box.

Yeah, the fonts are still a rainbow haze. Scrolling is just not smooth here. Videos oddly don't suffer any perf issues. Black panels everywhere but only one crash.
Are You A Wiiizard?

Post by Are You A Wiiizard? »

Peja Stija wrote:
Lurtz wrote:You don't have to deactivate APZ anymore.
Thanks, but reverting that setting didn't resolve the insta-crashes.
I guess it's a no-go for AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series owners.:(
Same with desktop 5750... Not getting crashes but it's taking ~30secs to load sites that take a couple of seconds with it disabled. For example http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/ it fails to load and on refresh takes forever to display elements meanwhile the mouse is so laggy it's unusable. That combined with that unreadable text that's been there forever doesn't look like Webrenderer will be ready anytime soon...
I think Webrenderer is better for people with newer cards that it can take advantage of, not old cards that aren't really having trouble getting utilized with the current renderer.
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

So, quick question for you guys. Is there any way to download non-nightly Mozilla Central builds these days since the old FTP was decommissioned?
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Peja Stija

Post by Peja Stija »

sciguyryan wrote:So, quick question for you guys. Is there any way to download non-nightly Mozilla Central builds these days since the old FTP was decommissioned?
Is this what you're searching for ?
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Peja Stija wrote:
sciguyryan wrote:So, quick question for you guys. Is there any way to download non-nightly Mozilla Central builds these days since the old FTP was decommissioned?
Is this what you're searching for ?
Perfect! Thanks.
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

tauio111 wrote:I do not see any artifacts in the website rendering anymore, so thats that. I do however notice the wrong RGB order being used on the anti-aliasing of the fonts which creates an ugly colorful-blurry look. The scrolling performance is also horrid for me at the moment with a AMD RX 560.

Are you getting buttery smooth scrolling?
There's a ticket for the RGB bug. It seems to be resolved here: https://github.com/servo/webrender/pull/1969

No, it's not as smooth as with D3D11. On some sites it gets even slower. But scrolling is more regular now, just the fps are too low.
Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:Same with desktop 5750... Not getting crashes but it's taking ~30secs to load sites that take a couple of seconds with it disabled. For example http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/ it fails to load and on refresh takes forever to display elements meanwhile the mouse is so laggy it's unusable. That combined with that unreadable text that's been there forever doesn't look like Webrenderer will be ready anytime soon...
I think Webrenderer is better for people with newer cards that it can take advantage of, not old cards that aren't really having trouble getting utilized with the current renderer.
That would contradict everything they said until now.
They say GPUs are better at some things than CPUs, period. Right now GPU performance doesn't really matter that much, it will be always faster.

Maybe there are driver issues with older cards.
TheVisitor wrote:The Nightly completed and is showing on the TC but so far when I check for updates its telling me I'm up to date with yesterday's build. How long does it take before its released once its complete on the 'TC' >?
Are you on Windows? There are no Nightlys after 2017-10-30 for Windows, only Linux and Mac.

Edit: Now there is for win64.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Lurtz wrote:
Maybe there are driver issues with older cards.
Probably not. They're using a different approach for acceleration this time, This one should be more compatible. Its just the state of the render for now. WR is practically from scratch. The last two times they did that, there was always slowness and choppy behavior in the beginning(See: Cairo and Moz2D).