Unlocking Image in Signature

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
gw1500se

Unlocking Image in Signature

Post by gw1500se »

One of my signatures contains an image and each time I use it, I have to "unlock" it. I cannot find the setting that lets me keep it unlocked so that I don't have to do it on every message. Can someone help? TIA.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
LIMPET235

Re: Unlocking Image in Signature

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Q?
From where did you acquire the image?
Seeing as I do not run the latest version I cannot really help.
Just wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along.
For ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Signatures_-_Thunderbird
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded it from the web and made some adjustments to the size. It is a JPG although I don't see why where it came from matters. In any case I have been using this for a long time without needing to "unlock" so this was a "feature" added a while back with some update. I don't recall which update but it was some time ago and I have finally been annoyed enough with it to try to turn it off.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

What do you mean by unlock?

Where is the image stored? Is it a local file saved on your computer or did you upload it somewhere after your made your adjustments?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think you meant unblock, not unlock.

If this problem didn't occur before version 52 of Thunderbird see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3029707 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1366349 . I suspect you need to replace the image in your signature with one that uses a data URI type format to avoid constantly being asked to unblock it. http://extensions.hesslow.se/forum/thre ... ickText+t/ lists some online services that will convert it for you.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

I am referring to the banner that pops up at the bottom of the write window when I add that signature to the message. It says:

Thunderbird has blocked a file from loading into this message. Unblocking the file will include it in this message.

The right side of that banner has an "Options" button that lets me unblock the image.

I don't understand what the purpose of that is. Since it is my signature/file, it cannot be any security issue in any reasonable sense so I don't know why that was added in the first place.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Whether you or I or anyone else understands WHY they make a change doesn't really matter.

But there are ways around it -- See the links in TANSTAAFL's post, above.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

I don't see anything that explains how to turn that 'feature' off in those articles. That is way I'm looking for.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There isn't any setting to turn that feature off. However, you can avoid that situation by converting the image used in the signature per the article. You only need to do that once.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

One thing you could try.

Create a new message. Erase everything including any signature that might have been injected into the message. Create what you want your signature to look like, including inserting any images into the mail. Once you are happy with how it will look, select everything and use the menu Insert -> HTML... from the composition window (the new mail message window). A dialog box will open with the HTML code of whatever you had selected. Copy all of that code.

Next, open the Account Settings and in the Signature Text: area, make sure that Use HTML is checked, and paste the code you copied from above. The next time you start a new message, your signature should show up and you shouldn't get the message about the image. At least, I didn't, unless I figured out ages ago how to turn off the message you are seeing and don't remember doing it.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

Got it! Thanks.
roll123

Post by roll123 »

Unfortunately, this "big decision" was very unhappy, or even stupid.
I work in a company where during the year we change the images in the signatures several times.

The workers already know how to do it, open the signature file on the notepad and changed the name to the new jpg file, some do not even need to open that file,they can delete the old jpg and change the name of the new JPG to the old file name .

Now, in this way it is almost impossible without the intervention of someone with some computer skills, something that would not be necessary before.
So we will have to continue with version 45.8.0

If one of these days the bosses want to demand something more, that this old version does not allow more, maybe we have to go to other email client.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for the comments but this thread died about 16 months ago.

Locking due to the age of the original posts.