Firefox download to disk before asking.

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
marites87

Firefox download to disk before asking.

Post by marites87 »

Does firefox download files to the disk automatically even after the ask where to download option is selected? My network activity shows that it is downloading it to somewhere. Also, with other types of media, such as pdf, where is the file downloaded to when you select preview?
makaiguy

Re: Firefox download to disk before asking.

Post by makaiguy »

Don't hold me to this, especially on a Mac since I have no Apple experience, but ...

I believe it starts the download right away into your cache, then moves the downloaded file into your specified location when the download is complete.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

for windows - firefox is downloading in background to the destination folder until you cancel the download (accept will continue the chosen option, open/save, when ready). this is known now since several builds, forgot when it started. its for convenience. conclusion: dont download or click "download" button if you dont want it.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I think this started around the single digit Firefox builds.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
therube

Post by therube »

I believe it starts the download right away into your cache
I believe it may actually be going into %TMP% as a ".part" file.
(%TMP%\random_name.ext.part)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

therube wrote:I believe it may actually be going into %TMP% as a ".part" file.
(%TMP%\random_name.ext.part)
Running under Windows that is true. Probably something comparable but not exactly the same on Linux or Mac.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

On my Linux Firefox install, Firefox creates a folder called "/tmp/mozilla-<myusername>0" at every startup, I would assume for use as an initial dowload destination.
therube

Post by therube »

Not knowing Linux, but that doesn't sound right.

I see (in Windows, a Hidden, Temporary) "etilqs_{random}" files, like, etilqs_IUtmbcREf4UHb1DRU2gD, which presumably is a temporary file for sqlite database files (that FF uses).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

therube wrote:Not knowing Linux, but that doesn't sound right.

I see (in Windows, a Hidden, Temporary) "etilqs_{random}" files, like, etilqs_IUtmbcREf4UHb1DRU2gD, which presumably is a temporary file for sqlite database files (that FF uses).
I can't see anything "not right" about the folder Firefox creates. The etilqs_whatever files are, I believe, various event tracing files from Windows components, which is what you read
in the Windows Event Viewer. Got nuthin' to do with Firefox.