Now have duplicate mail boxes/folders - how did that happen?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
fdm2000

Now have duplicate mail boxes/folders - how did that happen?

Post by fdm2000 »

Suddenly I have duplicates of my mail boxes under different folders. Unsure how this may have occurred but wondering if a fix exists. My server is mail.comcast.net.
On the vertical side margin upon opening TB 52.4.0 I have the following scrolling down. I have not knowingly done anything to modify my account configuration?
mail.comcast.net
Inbox (70)
Drafts
Templates
Sent
Trash
Spamfighter (7)
Local Folders
Inbox (10)
Drafts
Sent
Archives (4)
Spamfighter (15)
Junk
Trash
Outbox
DanRaisch

Re: Now have duplicate mail boxes/folders - how did that hap

Post by DanRaisch »

That listing looks correct for a standard single account installation. You don't have duplicate folders, per se, but the upper set (Inbox through Spamfighter) are the folders of your Comcast account while the lower set (those below "Local Folders") represent Thunderbird's default Local Folders pseudo account.. As you may have noted, the parenthetic numbers alongside the folder names are not the same for the "duplicate" folder, with the upper/account Inbox having 70 messages (perhaps in total or perhaps unread) while the corresponding Inbox folder of the Local Folders account has only 10 messages indicated.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What exactly is the problem? That listing seems okay for a Comcast POP account followed by a Local Folders account. Are you used to not seeing two inbox folders because the POP account was configured to use a global inbox (that hides it's folders and uses those in Local Folders instead)? See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox

If the Comcast account is a IMAP account take a look at tools -> account settings -> comcast -> server settings -> advanced. Personal name space should be "" and the "IMAP server directory", "public (shared)" and "other users" fields empty.

What are the spamfighter folders due to? Perhaps a spamfighter add-on doesn't play nicely with the latest version of Thunderbird.
fdm2000

Post by fdm2000 »

Thanks Dan and tanstaafl - guess I do not have a problem, I don't recall noticing the Local Folders pseudo account previously but wonder why it contains messages that do not appear in the Comcast account folders. Interestingly these pseudo account messages are all one I tagged as important in the distant past. Spamfighter is a free add on for TB that allows one to block unwanted mail. It sometimes acts erratically.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

wonder why it contains messages that do not appear in the Comcast account folders.
If you have filters on that Comcast account they might unintentionally be moving "Important" messages rather than simply tagging them. We've also seen reports of folks dragging a message from one folder to another and discovering that they had inadvertently selected multiple messages, moving some they later thought were lost because they did not look for them in the new location.
fdm2000

Post by fdm2000 »

Thaks for the added explanations, Dan