Firefox "New" Addon Site

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pickety

Firefox "New" Addon Site

Post by pickety »

On their upgraded addon site I can't see where to search for new addons. Any help appreciated.
lovemyfoxy

Re: Firefox "New" Addon Site

Post by lovemyfoxy »

"Up and Coming?"

Also, note that these, both old and new, are compatible with FF 57 and above:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... =firefox57
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Until it goes 'mainstream' don't waste your time, to go back to the current site..
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14773212
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks. I don't see any indication on the new site about v 57 compatibility, so it's NG anyway.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Actually, with the "new" site it will only shown extensions compatible with your version. With 57 I couldn't get it to show any legacy extensions while browsing or searching. If I changed my user agent to Firefox 55, then I could see them.
pickety

Post by pickety »

To be "Up and coming" the addon would need to be found in the first place!
James

Post by James »

You may have been given the new addons.mozilla.org site layout due to detecting the Firefox 58.0a1 Nightly builds you are Testing.
pickety wrote:Firefox "New" Addon Site
Firefox is the name of the web browser as it is Mozilla that runs the a.m.o site.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

James wrote: Irefox is the name of the web browser
Freudian slip James ? :P
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

pickety wrote:On their upgraded addon site I can't see where to search for new addons. Any help appreciated.
It is in the right side of the header under Developer Hub [Register or Log in] for me.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Thanks. I don't see any indication on the new site about v 57 compatibility, so it's NG anyway.
And that is indeed a serious issue if we are encouraging other users to find WebExtensions replacements and they attempt to do so before they are on 57; using 56.0.2, I couldn't spot any difference from the extension description whether it was LEGACY or WebExtension, and the only clue I saw was when I told the extension to go ahead and install: the tab asking permission to install will display various permissions the extension uses if the extension is WebExtensions, but won't display any permissions for LEGACY. And of course once installed the about:addons -> extensions will show LEGACY for LEGACY extensions, but that is a frustrating way to determine if an extension will continue working in less than two weeks from now.

I predict November 14 will be ... hectic.

Edited to add:

When looking at https://addons.mozilla.org using Firefox 56.0.2 and getting the new look, one can view the old pages by clicking on View classic desktop site near the bottom of the screen. Then the "classic desktop" view will clearly label WebExtensions extensions as "COMPATIBLE WITH FIREFOX 57+". That may be an option for those still on 56 looking for extensions that will continue to work in 57, in addition to the Google speadsheet of WebExtensions alternatives.
Last edited by Mark12547 on November 3rd, 2017, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

They've changed the way themes are previewed I notice. On the old site users could hover the mouse on the list of options and FF would display a preview of what it will look like, but now you have to click whichever one you fancy and then click the "Tap Preview" button. So a lot of jumping backwards and forwards from now on. Why make things easy when you can make them difficult eh....
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

Reflective wrote:They've changed the way themes are previewed I notice. ... Why make things easy when you can make them difficult eh....
I read somewhere, maybe on discourse, ... yes, here it is:

https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/test-th ... rg/20860/5
Thanks for the detailed feedback. There are a couple of reasons we got rid of the theme preview feature:
  • It hasn’t worked very reliably in the past, probably because downloading large images can fail or be slow at times.
  • We plan to expand themes in the near future, which means they’ll do more and may perform even worse on a live preview feature.
  • It’s fairly easy to install a theme to try it out, and then undo the installation.
James

Post by James »

The themes in this case are just toolbar backgrounds and not actual Themes like the Real Complete Themes.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

One weird thing I found out, if you set privacy.resistFingerprinting.block_mozAddonManager to true so that extensions work on the site (like Foxy Gestures and so on), the Tap to Preview a theme does not work. Have to set this back to false for it to start working again. The preview on the old desktop site still works though.