Open File toolbar icon won't stay on file chosen? SORTED

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
madmudmob

Open File toolbar icon won't stay on file chosen? SORTED

Post by madmudmob »

I have a little icon in my location bar that should open a chosen file called Open File and I suspect it came with Toolbar Buttons.

Some time ago you lovely folk help me set it up with these two about:configs ....
browser.download.lastDir;C:\Users\Roz\Public Pictures\##Temps##
and
browser.open.lastDir;C:\Users\Public\Pictures\##Temps##

Now that is exactly what I would like it to stay opening but if I wander off to another file (say Music, Documents or Downloads) the Open File icon will open to there and not my temporary pic file. So, I reset it in about:config and all is well but it will wander off again if I venture elsewhere other than Pictures. When I clear cookies, cache and history it does not affect it opening to the correct file.

Could some kind techy minded person help me get this to stick where it should be please?
Last edited by madmudmob on November 2nd, 2017, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mud is good!
LIMPET235

Re: Open File toolbar icon won't stay opening to file chosen

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Seems like you are describing a "remember last visited" function.
Looked in about:config and the only thing I could find referred specifically to downloads.
While I don't immediately see as how it would relate you might try browser.download.useDownloadDir set as true.
Also look at in the Knowledge base- browser. download. folderList ... Note: see if this one is set to 2
Which of several internally-specified locations to use for the default download directory
0: the desktop
1 (default): the downloads folder
2: the last folder specified for a download
Note: In Firefox, this can be changed via "Tools → Options → Main / Downloads → Save files to... (Firefox 2 and above) or Downloads/Download Folder → Save all files to this folder" (Firefox 1.5).

What seems different is there is no download when access the folder if I understand your post.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Roz,
To add another pref or 2 to what Grumps posted, go to "about:config" & search for...
browser.download.lastDir
Mine is set to the folder that was last used.

Also check > browser.download.dir
eg; > C:\Users\NAMEHERE\Downloads

These can be set in, Tools > Options > General.
Note: Firefox v50/v52 prefs are different in v56.
I can only see > browser.download.lastDir

Note: I have my options set to "Always Ask......."

You reckon that it may be because of an extension you've installed?
Maybe un-install it or try in Firefox Safe Mode?
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Sorry if I haven't explained properly.
Here's my original thread where you folks helped me .....
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3013661
Mud is good!
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

I also have my setting to Always Ask for downloads in options.

browser.download.dir doesn't seem to exist as nothing comes up when I put it in the search bar for about:config?

The Open File icon isn't actually to do with downloads so much but should open to the file chosen (in my case pictures) to make it quick and easy to post a pic onto a forum or facebook etc.
Mud is good!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Roz,
Both my old v20 & v56 do retain the last folder/path that was used with "File > Open file....".
You don't really need a button as the File drop down menu has that function as well.
AFAICS, it's just a duplicate.
Tried Safe Mode yet?

madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Thankyou.
Off to try Safe Mode right away.
Mud is good!
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You want to open a specific file without having the address change, in other words keep the address as default.
If so, are the folders you are using, Pictures, music etc, created at system level or have you added them.
Your post is showing ##temp## in the uri is this the actual or is this a substitute. If it isn't a substitute try and just use tmp or temp.
Just had a small brain freeze, wouldn't you have the same thing with a local bookmark in the bookmarks toolbar?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

In safe mode I still have the little black folder icon ....
so it must be a Firefox icon not an extension one. If I use Customise to remove it it goes to the top of the Customise page of icons along with Firefox's other black icons.

but in about:config this has changed to ....
Image The file ##Temps## is one I have created in Public Pictures in the picture Library .... I don't really understand, sorry, what you mean by use .tmp?
Mud is good!
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

The same folder icon exists in this system but if you don't want it to change why not just create the bookmark if there's no resolution.
tmp is just an alternative for temp and I was thinking maybe the syntax of ## before and after may be affecting it. Wild guess.
I think it's internal and default for Firefox is to open the most recent folder (location)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Roz,
AFAICS, Firefox is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, according to your Options/prefs.
It's doing that correctly here. It's set to Ask....

To verify the exact function & result, would you please, go through your "normal" way of opening a couple of different types of files,
say a text (.txt), an image (.jpg) & whatever else you need to open in Firefox.

You can use either the little black icon or the File drop down > Open File.

What do you mean by this...
" but it will wander off again if I venture elsewhere other than Pictures..."
Are you trying to open another type of file in a different folder/location?
Does it not open the same folder/location as before?

madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Hi again and huge thanks for helping folks.
If I open my pics using that icon it opens to the file ##Temps## in Public Pictures but if I then use that open section to move to Music, My Music or Documents etc in the list down the left of that open section then next time I click on the little black icon it will open to whichever of those 'others' I last visited.
When I check in about:config the settings I listed initially will have changed to wherever I was rather than staying on ##Temps## folder.
Hopefully this pic can explain better than me ....

Will try renaming the file as you suggest :)
Mud is good!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Firefox is doing...."exactly what it's supposed to do, according to your Options/prefs."
It's opening the last "folder/location" that was used, allowing you to choose what to open.

madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Thanks .... I understand that but wonder why it doesn't change back if I then go to ##Temps## (now named Alphas so it stays at the top of my list) when I go to it last? It seems to 'remember' going elsewhere but not to there. I have altered the bits in about:config to Alpha but noticed browser.download.lastDir
no longer existed so made a new string labelled that .... was that the correct thing to do please?

You have been great at trying to help which is much appreciated but I think from what you say I must accept it as it is.
Mud is good!