change email address firefox uses?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
karenanne

change email address firefox uses?

Post by karenanne »

When I click on a mailto link in Firefox, it brings up a thunderbird composition panel with the From field set to an old email address I no longer use.

I would like to change this to use my new email address. I know I can select it from a drop down menu, but I forget to do that.

When I search on the web for how to do this, all I find is ways to change the email client, which of course I don't want to do.

Is there a way to do this? Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: change email address firefox uses?

Post by DanRaisch »

Firefox doesn't choose a particular outgoing mail address, it simply launches Thunderbird and the default outgoing server is offered.
Have you removed the old email account from Thunderbird? Try menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->select the reference to the old account at the top right then click on the "Remove" button->Select (click on) your preferred account and then click on "Set Default."
karenanne

Post by karenanne »

Thanks. No, I have kept the old account because I want access to the email already there.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can still delete that SMTP server definition as noted in my previous reply.
mtalbot

Post by mtalbot »

You can also go into "Account Settings" -> "Outgoing Server (SMTP)", select the account you want to be the default and click on the "Set Default" button. This is useful if you don't want to delete the old SMTP settings for some reason.