FF 56.0.2 plays sound without any icon on tabs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
emailaya

FF 56.0.2 plays sound without any icon on tabs

Post by emailaya »

From time to time, with no apparent reason, Firefox starts to play a music, maybe from a banner/commercial that was on a tab that I already closed.

I see no sound icon on any tab when that happens and the only way to stop it, is to close and re-open Firefox.
It seems as if this "sound" is leaked or something like that so even when the tab is closed, the sound is played. Sometimes the sound starts playing when the tab is open (was open for a long time) but when that happens, closing the tab is enough. It happened only once, the original issue I wrote about, happened several times.

Is there something I can check even now when there is no sound or next time it happens?
Thanks
mightyglydd

Re: FF 56.0.2 plays sound without any icon on tabs

Post by mightyglydd »

What happens when you minimize Fx, see a player behind the window?
Some of these Radio/Music sites are up to that, the player remains when the site/tab's closed..
Example:(Listen live)
http://www.unionjack.co.uk/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
emailaya

Post by emailaya »

I will check that the next time it happens but it looks like the banner is making the sound, when the tab is there and not a music player of some kind.
As if it's on mute and something un mutes it at a certain point.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

If browser.tabs.showAudioPlayingIcon in about:config is set to false then the audio playing icon doesn't show on the tab. Oh, never mind, the OP is talking about some ghost sound from a closed tab. Hmm.. anyway, something to check.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

How about blocking the banner ad with Ublock Origin?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
emailaya

Post by emailaya »

I have ABP but it doesn't block it, I will try the next time I'll go to that site using its hide element feature.
That will be a workaround, assuming it will work, I wonder in general what can be the problem and what should I check when it happens (ghost sound as @markRh nicely put it)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

UBlock Origin is better than ABP, and many of us have switched over. But I occasionally get ghost music too. It's weird.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
emailaya

Post by emailaya »

It is better in what way?

So you do get that ghost music, any idea what can be done? Did you open a bug report about it? Does it happen with a certain site or different ones?
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

It uses lots less RAM.

I work online, I don't have time to report it, and I would have to distinguish a bug from something wrong in my profile, which is time-consuming. Anyway the bug site is Chinese to me. I don't remember exactly which site, but it's for a self-playing video, the kind that starts automatically when you open the page. Not often.

Try the Ublock and also Flash Block, where you have to give a page permission to run Flash.