SeaMonkey Sync

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Roger Davis

Re: SeaMonkey Sync

Post by Roger Davis »

OK, 2.35 is here, so I'm wondering the status of Sync.

Sure would be nice...

Just to make sure, if I click "Set up Sync", I get a form. I haven't tried it. Will that work?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Roger Davis wrote:OK, 2.35 is here, so I'm wondering the status of Sync.
Sync 2.0 support: not yet but it's on the way.

Phil
Roger Davis

Post by Roger Davis »

Any estimate as to when?

No sync = pain in the (*)
macron0

Post by macron0 »

Hello,

I managed to setup a sync 1.1 server and I actually got it to work with firefox 28. I created an account and ff 28 is syncing to my sync server.

But I cannot get seamonkey to work with my own sync server.

I did change the services.sync.jpake.serverURL to my own url in about:config (it keeps changing back to the default btw why is that?) but that does not help. I checked with fiddler to see if seamonkey is still trying to connect to something else but that does not seem to be the case.

This is wat I see in the sync server output when I click next when trying to add an existing acocunt:
x.x.x.x - - [27/Oct/2015:13:45:42 +0200] "GET /jpake/new_channel HTTP/1.1" 200 6 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30"
x.x.x.x - - [27/Oct/2015:13:45:42 +0200] "PUT /jpake/xhnf HTTP/1.1" 200 2 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30"
x.x.x.x - - [27/Oct/2015:13:45:44 +0200] "GET /jpake/xhnf HTTP/1.1" 304 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30"
x.x.x.x - - [27/Oct/2015:13:45:46 +0200] "GET /jpake/xhnf HTTP/1.1" 304 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30"
x.x.x.x - - [27/Oct/2015:13:45:47 +0200] "GET /jpake/xhnf HTTP/1.1" 304 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30"
x.x.x.x - - [27/Oct/2015:13:45:47 +0200] "POST /jpake/report HTTP/1.1" 200 2 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30"
x.x.x.x - - [27/Oct/2015:13:45:48 +0200] "GET /jpake/xhnf HTTP/1.1" 404 154 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30"

Notice the jpake/xhnf 200 than 304 3 times a then jpake/report and than the 404 for jpake/xhnf.

I have googled and tried a lot but I cannot find out why seamonkey fails. FF works so I must have done something right.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could to to make seamonkey work with this?

Regards

Hans
macron0

Post by macron0 »

Okay I got my sync server finally working.

I can alo create new accounts from seamonkey and they actuelly sync the way they used to.

Now lets hope they do not remove the old sync function from seamonkey (at least until there is a good alternative)
Koronth

Post by Koronth »

macron0 wrote:Okay I got my sync server finally working.
I can alo create new accounts from seamonkey and they actuelly sync the way they used to.
Could you please say a bit more about how you got it to work?

Though my Sync server 1.1 seems to work, the part with jpake seems a bit foggy ;-) to me.

Currently, on trying to set up a new Seamonkey (v2.39) Sync Account with my own Sync server, I get an "Unknown error" on every mail address I try as username :-/.

What can I do to make it work?

Thank you very much!
kmike

Post by kmike »

I managed to get Sync 1.1 server running on a Centos 7.1 system. It was pretty straightforward, I never encountered the errors like above.
I'm getting some 404's similar to those described in this topic:

Code: Select all

"GET /1.1/<username>/storage/meta/fxa_credentials HTTP/1.1" 404 154 "-" "SeaMonkey/2.39 FxSync/1.44.0.20151103191810.desktop"
but they seem to be harmless as the browsers do not complain and still sync stuff.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Last weekend I managed to get a Sync 1.1 server running on my Raspberry Pi (running Raspbian). The process wasn't easy as there were a number of pitfalls. However, I'm not able to get SeaMonkey 2.48 to connect to the server due to Bug 998807.

Does anyone have any update yet on Sync 2.0 support for SeaMonkey? Is any developer actively working on the issue? Is there any roadmap or timeline for implementation?
kmike

Post by kmike »

Custom Sync 1.1 server is still working for me, Seamonkey 2.48 / 2.49.1
All you have to do is to set up Sync in some older Seamonkey version. I believe 2.25 is the version you need.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

kmike wrote:All you have to do is to set up Sync in some older Seamonkey version. I believe 2.25 is the version you need.
I'm afraid that's not working for me. Even when using this 2.25 build, I get the "Unknown error" message whenever I enter my e-mail address in the Sync setup dialog. The following message simultaneously appears in the error console:
Timestamp: 2017-11-07 09:57:19
Error: [Exception... "NS_ERROR_UNKNOWN_HOST" nsresult: "0x804b001e (NS_ERROR_UNKNOWN_HOST)" location: "JS frame :: resource://services-common/rest.js :: onStopRequest :: line 438" data: no]
Source File: resource://services-common/rest.js
Line: 438
This "unknown host" message makes me think that the problem is that Sync cannot connect to the J-PAKE server. Sure enough, whenever I visit about:config, I see that SeaMonkey has reset the value of services.sync.jpake.serverURL to the nonexistent https://setup.services.mozilla.com/. Of course, I had changed this to the corresponding URL of my own server, but it gets reset to the default value as soon as I try to register a Sync account.

The timing of your previous posts suggests that you set up your Sync server and registered an account before Mozilla's own J-PAKE server was finally shut down, so maybe that's why you never encountered this problem. Would you mind attempting to register a new Sync account on your server now to see if you can still do it?

Also, I'm afraid that, even if I were to somehow get registered, I wouldn't be able to use the Sync account with more recent versions of SeaMonkey, as you yourself reported upthread. How were you able to work around this upgrade problem?
kmike

Post by kmike »

Psychonaut wrote: This "unknown host" message makes me think that the problem is that Sync cannot connect to the J-PAKE server. Sure enough, whenever I visit about:config, I see that SeaMonkey has reset the value of services.sync.jpake.serverURL to the nonexistent https://setup.services.mozilla.com/. Of course, I had changed this to the corresponding URL of my own server, but it gets reset to the default value as soon as I try to register a Sync account.

I'm also afraid that, even if I were to somehow get registered, I wouldn't be able to use the Sync account with more recent versions of SeaMonkey, as you yourself reported upthread. How were you able to work around this problem?
Don't remember what was the exact problem. I know that I've used "about:sync-log" to check the client-side Sync error log. It is working fine since then, both in Linux and Windows. Another thing: I've changed every URL-like Sync setting in about:config to point to my custom server:
services.sync.clusterURL
services.sync.serverURL
services.sync.jpake.serverURL
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Psychonaut wrote:Does anyone have any update yet on Sync 2.0 support for SeaMonkey? Is any developer actively working on the issue? Is there any roadmap or timeline for implementation?
I just discovered the SeaMonkey StatusMeetings page. According to the latest minutes (for 29 October 2017):
We need someone to work on porting sync 1.5 over to replace legacy sync code. Frg was distracted by other bugs and tasks and didn't look into it yet.
See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:
  • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager.
  • bug 1003434 Add support for about:sync-progress.
  • As an alternative to porting sync setting up a sync 1.1 server might work.
  • Sync 1.1 has been removed from the mozilla source tree. If we want sysnc 1.1 to work we need to fork it.
    • Pro: We control our own sync server and are not left at the mercies of Mozilla the next time they change their sync system.
    • Con: Can't sync with Firefox (unless someone writes a Sync 1.1 client for Firefox).
So it seems that there is no recent progress on Sync, but the issue is at least still on the radar.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

kmike wrote:Don't remember what was the exact problem. I know that I've used "about:sync-log" to check the client-side Sync error log. It is working fine since then, both in Linux and Windows. Another thing: I've changed every URL-like Sync setting in about:config to point to my custom server:
services.sync.clusterURL
services.sync.serverURL
services.sync.jpake.serverURL
OK, when I set services.sync.serverURL in addition to services.sync.jpake.serverURL, I'm finally able to register an account. But using it to sync still doesn't work, failing with the following error:
Timestamp: 2017-11-07 10:41:06
Error: [Exception... "NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" nsresult: "0x804b000d (NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED)" location: "JS frame :: resource://services-sync/resource.js :: Channel_onStopRequest :: line 508" data: no]
Source File: resource://services-sync/resource.js
Line: 508
I'll investigate further when I have time. If I can get everything working, I'll try to prepare a step-by-step guide and link to it here. If not, I may be back here with more questions…
kmike

Post by kmike »

For those two other Seamonkey Sync users, FYI: Sync 1.1 code and UI will be removed after Seamonkey 2.49, since it has been removed upstream in FF.
Crogon

Post by Crogon »

Just an update and a bump. Frank marked the issue as fixed for version 2.57. I'm not exactly sure what that means, OR whether or not there is a request to add the new Sync feature back in. I asked Frank to clarify.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1432273

Now the bump.. I'm currently installing SeaMonkey 2.49.3 on to WinXp virtual machines, and I desperately need a working solution. I can't find a patch, plug-in, add-on or anything to copy bookmarks, tabs and extensions back and forth between profiles. Every thing I find related to those searches is for moving email folders around. :P

If ANYONE is aware of a working solution, could you share a link or the info on how to accomplish it? I've been sitting on the sidelines waiting for a solution for like two years, but now I really need SOMETHING that I can at least work with.

Thanks so much!