A site to view past versions of add-ons

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
isaacschemm

A site to view past versions of add-ons

Post by isaacschemm »

After updating the AMO Browsing for SeaMonkey extension, I started to think about what else I could do with the addons.mozilla.org API. It turned out there were some things that it doesn't keep track of (for example, whether something is a hybrid WebExtension). So I thought it might be useful to have a site that could tell you those things. The backend is in a function in Microsoft Azure, and the frontend is just HTML+TypeScript.

The site is posted here for now:
https://www.lakora.us/xpi-versions/?id=ublock-origin

Change the id= in the URL to get a different add-on. It detects whether you're using Firefox, SeaMonkey, or Pale Moon and gives you appropriate actions (e.g. a link to the add-on converter if you're on SeaMonkey).

I'm interested in whether people think this is useful, or if there's anything missing. Keep in mind that the URL might go away or change in the future.
therube

Re: A site to view past versions of add-ons

Post by therube »

(Maybe we can petition Mozilla to fire the entire AMO group & hire you ;-).)

Some extensions are still "Hybrid", like, https://www.lakora.us/xpi-versions/?id=noscript, but show as "WebExtensions" (& is still compatible with SeaMonkey).

Interesting, yes.
Very straight forward, to the point. You know immediately what you need to know.
Makes downloads a breeze.

Useful?
Ah, that's harder to say...?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

therube wrote:(Maybe we can petition Mozilla to fire the entire AMO group & hire you ;-).)
I'm using their API for most of this, so that might not work out too well ;)

So those new versions of NoScript work with SeaMonkey, even though they have an embedded WebExtension? In that case I should change it to show an install button. (There are some hybrid extensions out there, like Flagfox, that don't completely work in SM...)
therube

Post by therube »

So those new versions of NoScript work with SeaMonkey, even though they have an embedded WebExtension?
Yes.
Suspect that at some point (in the near future ?) some version will show up that will be (it would have to be) webx - only.

And once that happens... (anyone's guess).
(But then FF 57 will be an anyone's guess too ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Thanks! It now lets you install hybrid extensions if they are SeaMonkey compatible. (But it won't offer to convert them if they're not.)