yahoo news and other pages being taken over by hack sites

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ithinktfiam

yahoo news and other pages being taken over by hack sites

Post by ithinktfiam »

New with either 55 or 56 (I'm on 56.0.2) is pages suddenly switching to either a fake FF page for a "new download" or a fake Windows 10 repair site wanting me to execute something. FF used to never allow this, now it does.

What changed and how can it be fixed?
Mark12547

Re: yahoo news and other pages being taken over by hack site

Post by Mark12547 »

The ad server networks have been vulnerable to fake "Emergency Update!" screens for a year now. An ad blocker, such as uBlock Origin, should block most of those.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I wouldn't trust any news I found on Yahoo anyway. Try a reputable news site, like PBS.org or NYTimes.com
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

It's possible you have malware installed which is redirecting you to compromised sites. Download Malwarebytes (free trial version) and run a full scan. When the trial finishes in a couple of weeks time it'll continue working free of charge albeit without additional ransomware protection: https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/releasehistory/
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

BitDefender has a free anti-ransomware that runs in the background.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
James

Post by James »

Yahoo pages have been a common place for Ads that leads to the Fake urgent Firefox update page (for some Firefox users on Windows) since mid last year. They are disposable sites so it iis not so easy to just shut them down. The same scammers are doing a similar fake update page for Google Chrome users also (on Windows). https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/i- ... fox-update