Is Self Destructing Cookies doomed?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mozurkewich

Is Self Destructing Cookies doomed?

Post by mozurkewich »

I have been using Self Destructing Cookies since Firefox's cookie blocking stopped working. Now it looks like Self Destructing Cookies will stop working when Firefox 57 comes out. Can someone tell me if that is the case? If so, how do I replace it?

Is uBlock Origin a suitable replacement? If so, where can I find info on just what that add on does?

While I am at it, it seems that NoScript is also marked as "legacy" but I see elsewhere that will be fixed. Can anyone confirm? Is the timing of these changes known?
allande

Re: Is Self Destructing Cookies doomed?

Post by allande »

From here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... g-cookies/ the author says it is over, so yes it is true self-destructing-cookies will stop working for users of Firefox 57+.
You could try this but it has differences https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... utodelete/
Ublock Origin is much like a swiss army knife, a user who knows its details can do a lot with it, but using it as a cookie deleter or blocker I think would require a lot of learning.
I've heard Noscript will be fixed, not sure when.
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

allande wrote:You could try this but it has differences https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... utodelete/
Thanks. Does someone here know if Cookie AutoDelete will migrate my white list? Or if there are tips for migrating anywhere?
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

mozurkewich wrote:While I am at it, it seems that NoScript is also marked as "legacy" but I see elsewhere that will be fixed. Can anyone confirm? Is the timing of these changes known?
NoScript is indeed being made into a Webex. It is supposed to land pretty much when Firefox 57 does (at least that is what I have currently heard.)

NoScript forums are here: https://forums.informaction.com/viewforum.php?f=7

allande - many thanks for the link to Cookie Autodelete. Looks promising.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Self Destructing Cookies doesn't work any more with 52ESR either. I switched to Cookie Controller, still trying it out.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Self Destructing Cookies doesn't work any more with 52ESR either.
It works for me on ESR 52.4.0

I'm using version 0.4.12 released Setember 9, 2017
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I lost the 2nd icon a few weeks ago, the one you click to show your cookies list. No, it's not in the Customize box.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Self Destructing Cookies doesn't work any more with 52ESR either. I switched to Cookie Controller, still trying it out.
Does Cookie Controller allow me to import my existing white list? Cookie Auto Delete does not appear to allow that.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I lost the 2nd icon a few weeks ago, the one you click to show your cookies list. No, it's not in the Customize box.
I never even knew that that icon existed... so, I guess I don't miss stuff I didn't know was there...anyway, the ext. works fine in here too.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I used it to remove cookies that SDC missed. If the extension is doomed, I might as well dump it now.

(I haven't seen you around lately. Glad to see you're back.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

For those using the recent Firefox version and are looking for a replacement of the old ext... I see this on AMO.
Self Destroying Cookies – Add-ons for Firefox
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I used it to remove cookies that SDC missed. If the extension is doomed, I might as well dump it now.

(I haven't seen you around lately. Glad to see you're back.)
Those cookies that you say SDC missed... are they not in the normal Show all Cookies in Options?

Also, I haven't read/posted much because I moved over to ESR and feel that I'm not up on the latest Firefox version...just kind of picking ones that I feel good about.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

They are in Show All Cookies, but the icon in the toolbar was a shortcut to that.

I don't want to threadjack this thread. I have a few issues with 52ESR that I'm going to post in a new thread.
You're not on the latest FF, but you can help all those folks using ESR.