Lightning doesn't display the location in calendar view

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
andwhatthen

Lightning doesn't display the location in calendar view

Post by andwhatthen »

Well, after a short research I stumbled upon this thread. I can hardly believe that it's been almost 7 years since this thread was started and the question has still not been addressed. TB is simply too good an app to not allow what the OP is asking for. Surely so many of us have the same approach where we input data into the event's location field and we want that to be nicely visible in a weekly overview of all the events/tasks.

So, has there been no solution or what? I tried an add-on called Calendar Tweaks - https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/thunde ... dar-tweaks - but it doesn't offer the needed functionality.

Would anyone have anything to add?
Last edited by DanRaisch on November 8th, 2017, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from original thread which died 7 years year ago.
Fred H

Re: Lightning doesn't display the location in calendar view

Post by Fred H »

My thoughts exactly.
Why on earth wouldn't the Thunderbird team implement such a basic functionality as location display after so many years?
The only workaround I found was creating a Google calendar tab next to my lightning tab. Can you believe this? On my google calendar tab, all locations are displayed just fine but this is not what we signed up for.
I get it that you cannot take into consideration every single user's request but honestly, the lightning addon hasn't had any detectable update for ages. It's about time something new and useful was implemented. Technology and UI are evolving and TB is lagging behind.
andwhatthen

Post by andwhatthen »

Fred H wrote:My thoughts exactly. Why on earth wouldn't the Thunderbird team implement such a basic functionality as location display after so many years? The only workaround I found was creating a Google calendar tab next to my lightning tab. Can you believe this? On my google calendar tab, all locations are displayed just fine but this is not what we signed up for. I get it that you cannot take into consideration every single user's request but honestly, the lightning addon hasn't had any detectable update for ages. It's about time something new and useful was implemented. Technology and UI are evolving and TB is lagging behind.
I second this! Mozilla team (or TB team), pls listen to your users :)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I second this! Mozilla team (or TB team), pls listen to your users
Just so everyone is clear here, we are not Mozilla and for the most part, the Mozilla developers don't hand out on these forum. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.
terrathunderbird

Post by terrathunderbird »

Alas...I can't even get Lightning to show the actual calendar invites and let me "accept" them anymore. This only started happening this last version or two. I love TB and Lightning. But I have to find another solution, unless I can find someone to help fix this. I've posted several times on the calendar forum, with no response. Alas...I have no solution to the location thing, but want to add this other issue to to the mix.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Regarding location: some definite improvements have been made in the last 7 years. If you hover the mouse over an appointment, then further details such as location, date (with start and end time), status, participants and details are shown.

Regarding invites: mines work. But there are many factors that change the behaviour. For instance:
– Is the person sending it uses a Google server, is your address authorized to reply to the invitation? For some corporate addresses, the domain administrator may have configured to restrict replies from only the domain's addresses (I even think it's the option by default).
– On Microsoft Exchange servers, behaviour with addresses outside of Exchange depends on the version of Exchange installed. Some work, others won't. Even some versions of Microsoft Outlook (the user's software, not the platform) don't reply correctly to calendar requests if they are outside an Exchange environment.

So to help solve the issue (if we can), we would need more details like whether or not it's happening with everyone, etc.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
andwhatthen

Post by andwhatthen »

Thank you for your feedback @mgagnonlv. If you are from the devs team for TB then the improvements mentioned for those 7 years are indeed great, but as you see quite a few users would like to be able to see the event/task location displayed not only when the mouse is hovered over the event/item, but rather always and all the time.

I can promise you that (similarly to me) a lot of users are trying to do the transition from Outlook to TB and believe me on our calendars we have a ton of data in the location field, which we need displayed all the time.

I very seriously believe that it is not so difficult to implement the feature request. Looking forward to a positive response on this one! Cheers! :)
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Sorry, I am just a user, not a developer.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
terrathunderbird

Post by terrathunderbird »

Hi folks... I used to be able to get/see invites and to reply/accept. It's only recently, after an upgrade that this capability disappeared...
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

terrathunderbird wrote:Hi folks... I used to be able to get/see invites and to reply/accept. It's only recently, after an upgrade that this capability disappeared...
Same here. Now Google Provider does not seem to work well at all. It keeps going back to "read only", and cannot see/reply/accept invites either.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Well, I'll have to test invites and send some to myself, but I add, edit and delete events from my Google Calendar daily.

Can't edit the US Holiday calendar subscription. That would be fun. Wouldn't it? :twisted:
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Can't edit ANY calendar. They all keep going back to read only.