MozillaZine

Moving Email From the Old Laptop To the New Laptop

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
RosieRose

Post Posted November 8th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Just recently bought a new, shiny HP laptop. Now, I've got to figure out how to move all my email, plus all the accompanying folders, from the old HP laptop to the new HP laptop.

I've gone over some existing questions already posted about this, but they were all from years past, the last one from 2011.....and maybe in the 6 years since the last response there's been some changes. I've read I need to find the Profile folder to copy it, and am pretty sure I understand how to do that, but the steps get fuzzy after that.

I am running Win10, Update 1703, on both laptops, and have been using TB email on the old laptop for about 4 months. I downloaded and installed the latest version of TB a couple weeks ago on the new laptop and am receiving emails from my ISP server. If I need to uninstall TB on the new laptop for whatever reason, it's all good. I haven't been using TB on the new laptop long enough to save any important emails.

So, how crazy is it going to get to migrate all my email identities--I have 7 email addresses plus 4-5 dozen email storage folders--from the old laptop to the new one? :roll:

Rummaging around in C:// can be daunting, and if I have to go into the Registry, I'll most likely need to call in an in-home tech, unless the directions are really, really clear, and I can spend a couple days getting my courage up.

Specs for the old HP laptop...
HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15.6"
4GB DDR3 SDRAM
AMD A6-4455M
500GB ATA HDD
AMD Radeon HD 7500G
Win10 Update 1703
Firefox 56.0.2
Thunderbird 52.4.0
HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop, 12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM, Intel® Core™ i5, 1 TB SATA, Intel® HD Graphics 620, DVD Writer,
Win10 64-bit, Firefox 56.0.2, Thunderbird 52.4.0

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 8th, 2017, 10:03 pm

There's really nothing new about moving to a new PC as the location of the profile under Win 10 is the same was it was under Vista. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
For a concise, less detailed version of the process, see this thread --
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1421375&p=7251375#p7251375

For an alternative approach, see tanstaafl's posts in this thread -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2942915&p=14209121#p14209121

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 8th, 2017, 11:51 pm

Before you do anything I suggest you run Thunderbird on the new PC, and use help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder to automatically open file explorer at the current profile. Write down that location in case you need to import some of the new mail you downloaded in the new profile, later on.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_to_a_new_PC . Its actually easy, just don't delete anything on the old PC though until you've verified everything has been successfully moved. If you've been using POP accounts configured to leave the original on the mail server you might not have to do anything about the new mail in the profile you had previously created on the new PC. See if it gets automatically downloaded. If not, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders for how to import mail folders from one profile (whose location you wrote down) to another (the new one created by restoring the backup).

RosieRose

Post Posted Yesterday, 2:58 pm

DanRaisch wrote:There's really nothing new about moving to a new PC as the location of the profile under Win 10 is the same was it was under Vista. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
For a concise, less detailed version of the process, see this thread --
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1421375&p=7251375#p7251375

For an alternative approach, see tanstaafl's posts in this thread -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2942915&p=14209121#p14209121

tanstaafl wrote:Before you do anything I suggest you run Thunderbird on the new PC, and use help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder to automatically open file explorer at the current profile. Write down that location in case you need to import some of the new mail you downloaded in the new profile, later on.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_to_a_new_PC . Its actually easy, just don't delete anything on the old PC though until you've verified everything has been successfully moved. If you've been using POP accounts configured to leave the original on the mail server you might not have to do anything about the new mail in the profile you had previously created on the new PC. See if it gets automatically downloaded. If not, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders for how to import mail folders from one profile (whose location you wrote down) to another (the new one created by restoring the backup).

Sorry about not getting back here sooner. Have family coming to visit for Thanksgiving and just had so many things to get ready.....

Before we move forward on the original TB email folder problem, today I opened up TB and got some kind of TB screen which I don't understand. I don't know if it's trying to tell me to upgrade, or my last upgrade failed, or what the reason for the screen is.

TB screenshot --> https://imgur.com/HGXci1e

So, if you'd be so kind to explain what it is this screen is trying to tell me, please and thank you, we can move on to the email folder problem. :) :)

In the meantime, I'm going over the instructions for moving the email folders from the old laptop to the new one.
HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop, 12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM, Intel® Core™ i5, 1 TB SATA, Intel® HD Graphics 620, DVD Writer,

DanRaisch

Post Posted Yesterday, 3:10 pm

1. That screen shot is showing the release note for Thunderbird 52.4.0 and it doesn't require that you do anything. If your installed version of Thunderbird is older than the current release version you can update if you choose but don't have to. Check the current version using menu path Help->About Thunderbird.

2. Please see tanstaafl's post above regarding the folder issue.

3. Please note that colored text should not be used in signatures per forum rules. faq.php?mode=rules#f3r2

RosieRose

Post Posted Yesterday, 4:11 pm

When composing a signature in the Control Panel, it's not noted colors aren't allowed. Maybe the option to add colors should be disabled in the signature section, yes? I mean, if the option to add colors to a signature is available but colors aren't allowed, shoulnd't that be noted somewhere?

RosieRose

Post Posted Yesterday, 4:40 pm

OK, so under the Moving Folders link the instructions say, "This article gives step by step instructions for how to import folders from another profile for a new user who has never installed an extension."

I'm not a techie of any sort, and I don't understand what this instruction means when it says, "....how to import folders from another profile for a new user who has never installed an extension.

So, what does it mean when it says, ".....a new user who has never installed an extension?" What is an extension? Is Thunderbird an extension?

And, when I buy a new computer and start using it, am I, now, a new user?

As you can see, I'm simply not familiar with these kinds of terms or what they're referring to, and I'll bet the farm there are other home users who are reading this post who don't, either, and would be appreciative of a basic education. You IT tech people use this kind of language on an every day basis, but us home users don't. Or, at least, I don't, and we need help understanding the technical language before we even get to performing the steps.

RosieRose

Post Posted Yesterday, 4:41 pm

Forgot to add, please and thank you.

DanRaisch

Post Posted Yesterday, 5:13 pm

".....a new user who has never installed an extension?"

That's not as clear as it could be but it is referring to a Thunderbird extension as that is what is part of the process in that write up.

And, when I buy a new computer and start using it, am I, now, a new user?

No, I don't think that's what's referred to there.

Return to Thunderbird General