how do I get a blank page

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
zivshosh

how do I get a blank page

Post by zivshosh »

Greetings
Firefox version: 56.0.2 (x64)

firefox starts with a blank page and starts a new tab with a blank page like I requested in the options.
sometimes I want to clear an existing page when starting a new subject. I used to have an icon in the form of a house which did the job by mounting about:blank.
It no longer works, moreover it doesn't exist in customize option.
Writing about:blank on the address bar doesn't clear the page.
How do I clear an existing page?
thank you
zivshosh

Re: how do I get a blank page

Post by zivshosh »

problem solved
changed my homepage from about:blank to blank.org
I wonder how long it will last....
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

That should not be. blank.org is bogus and you probably need to scan your system for malware.
First try opening Firefox in safe mode and see if the home button shows or is visible in the customize icons.
You could also check to see which tool and menu bars are showing by hitting ALT and then view to see which are checked.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

zivshosh wrote:It no longer works, moreover it doesn't exist in customize option.
Writing about:blank on the address bar doesn't clear the page.
Do you have ABP 3.0 installed? It causes that exact behavior -- this is really a bug in Firefox, and fixed in FF57 which will be released in a few days. Please do not use `blank.org`, it's a remote page, and which connects to 3rd parties, this is not a good replacement for about:blank.

The only workaround for about:blank that I know so far (until the fix is released in a few days) is to simply resize the window, this will cause the page to be finally rendered blank as expected.

Edit: actually, here is a better workaround I just found, use about:blank# -- the "#" somehow prevent the glitch from happening.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You can go into about:config and search for about:newtab and enter about:blank in each place.
If you do not want the tiles showing for about newtab can also modify the rows and columns in about:config.
about:blank# is also bogus. Placing about:blank in the /edit /preferences/general/ homepage and altering When Firefox starts show a blank page stops a lot of these so called non-existent bugs.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you