Adblock/Element Hider Updated, Now No Longer Work

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
freddygarvin

Adblock/Element Hider Updated, Now No Longer Work

Post by freddygarvin »

Hello Everyone -

I've been a long time Adblock user and more recently Element Hider. Recently it updated itself, but no longer blocks things I used to hide with Element Hider. For example, I used to be able to hide the featured ads on Slick Deals, but that no longer works.

There's other examples too. It seems you can still highlight them by using the drop menu and attempt to block them, but they no longer does. Did I do something wrong or is there a fix for this? Thanks for any help.
Vitesse

Re: Adblock/Element Hider Updated, Now No Longer Work

Post by Vitesse »

As according to your user agent string you're still on Firefox 54 - two, nearly three, release versions behind - it may be that alterations made to Firefox since then and/or to the extensions to make them compliant with WE standards mean that they no longer work properly with older versions.

However, like a lot of others here, I moved on from AdBlock Plus a long time ago and use uBlock Origin, which has a built-in element picker. Much less to go wrong. It's also significantly lighter on resources.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Be careful on that Slickdeals site because their certificate is out of date: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ecure-mean

Other than that though both ABP and the Element Hiding Helper works for me on Firefox ESR. If you don't want to upgrade to a later version of Firefox, install ESR yourself: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/ It'll be supported until June 26 next year.
freddygarvin

Post by freddygarvin »

Thanks for the replies. I updated to the latest Firefox, but that did not fix the problem. So far, I've tried uBlock on one of my PCs and it seems to be working well enough. I'm going to roll it out on my other PCs. Thanks again.