Recover old browsing history?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jiggstar

Recover old browsing history?

Post by jiggstar »

So Ive been trying to recover some older browsing history that I accidently deleted but I cant seem to find what I need. If I remember everything correctly I got this to work a few years ago by replacing the file or folder with the current broswing history with a file/folder from a date with an older browsing history but I cant seem to find that now. How can I replace my current browsing history, with a file with browsing history from a day a few weeks ago if its possible?
DanRaisch

Re: Recover old browsing history?

Post by DanRaisch »

If you have a backup from a few days ago, copying over the file places.sqlite may restore your history. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite
jiggstar

Post by jiggstar »

DanRaisch wrote:If you have a backup from a few days ago, copying over the file places.sqlite may restore your history. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite
Thanks. Were can I find the backups? Ive been trying to find it but I cant seem to find it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Firefox doesn’t automatically backup that file. Do you regularly back up your profile or the full hard drive?
jiggstar

Post by jiggstar »

DanRaisch wrote:Firefox doesn’t automatically backup that file. Do you regularly back up your profile or the full hard drive?
No I dont. Is it impossible to get back the old history then?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As the history data is stored in the the file places.sqllite, if you do not have a good back up copy of that file you can not restore old browsing history.
jiggstar

Post by jiggstar »

DanRaisch wrote:As the history data is stored in the the file places.sqllite, if you do not have a good back up copy of that file you can not restore old browsing history.
Oh. Has it always been like that? I can recall that I was able to replace the current browsing history with one from an older date but the last time I did that was years ago so I assumed it still worked that way.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, it never worked that way unless you had back up copies of the associated files.