FF 57 failure to handle working extentions

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
jdopple

FF 57 failure to handle working extentions

Post by jdopple »

I have a few different extensions, all working 100% under FF56 (Windows 7 64 Bit) , that are having severe database issues when upgrading to 57 (latest RC) or the Developer Edition 58.

Feedbro

Group Speed Dial

Stylus

Might be others, but those are the ones I noticed.

Feedbro loads the RSS feed urls, but does not display anything. All these are supposedly 57 ready.

It's a rather elderly Profile (10 years+) , but I'd think anything working 100% under FF 56 would also work under 57

I experimented with a different test profile with less clutter, and it seemed handle the Group Speed Dial upgrade properly.

What could possibly be causing this? If it's just me, then fine, I can always rebuild the profile, but if this happens to 1000's of users, Mozilla will be inundated with complaints.
allande

Re: FF 57 failure to handle working extentions

Post by allande »

If you are blocking cookies, clearing anything on shutdown, or using private browsing, you might be seeing issues like the ones here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3034189
With Firefox 57 and up, it would be an excellent time to rebuild a profile, dumping the residue from all the stuff that won't be carried over.
jdopple

Post by jdopple »

Sadly, I'm not doing any of the mentioned things.

My FF is quite snappy even using this old profile, so its really just a waste of time to start from scratch.

I'm more curious as to what the problem is, and fear others will run into it and be discouraged.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

jdopple wrote:Feedbro loads the RSS feed urls, but does not display anything.
I have no such issue with it in the 57 release candidate.
jdopple wrote:when upgrading to 57 (latest RC)
You're currently on Firefox 56. Did you upgrade, then downgrade on the same profile? If so, you could've broken any number of things, including local storage. Click the Help button in Feedbro, then Known Issues at the bottom. If you accept cookies (or made an Allow exception for Feedbro), you're not using Private Browsing mode, and saving history isn't disabled, then corrupt storage is the most likely culprit:
One fix is to recreate your Firefox profile. Some users have also reported that this should also work: open about:support in a new tab. Then click "Open Folder" button to open the profile folder in the file system. Then delete/rename the "storage" folder and restart Firefox.

Also note that loading Feedbro is sometimes a hit-or-miss affair. For instance, if you set it as your homepage, it might fail to load at startup. Simply pressing F5 to refresh the tab will solve that.
jdopple

Post by jdopple »

I deleted the STORAGE folder as suggested , and while that did ALMOST fix the problems with multiple extensions, I still had some strange behavior with Feedbro. Only some of the RSS feeds would display, others refused.

Tested this on FF dev 58 portable.

Only when I uninstalled Feedbro, then reinstalled and reimported the JSON feed list, did it work correctly.

Too many strange things going on here , I'll just create a new profile for 57. It's some work exporting all the custom lists for everything , but this way I'll be sure to have a working system.

Let's see how many people have similar issues , or if I'm just lucky :D
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

if you delete /storage folder you will kick ass firefox and some of its extensions* into nowhere. bad idea - not recommended.

* eg any -monkey scripting, ublock, group speed dial, stylus, clippings

firefox 56 is a hybrid - some webextension work, some not (eg group speed dial).
best way is to set up a profile from scratch:

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
toadisland

Post by toadisland »

I have to back out of 57 quantum. i use fireftp. i need ftp. please tell location (url) (index) to download prior versions.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

please tell location (url) (index) to download prior versions.
sorry smsmith - but we should not advise outdated and vulnerable versions
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 ... easenotes/
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... #firefox57
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... sa2017-24/

52esr current is 52.5.0 and safer than 56.0.2
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Brummelchen wrote:sorry smsmith - but we should not advise outdated and vulnerable versions
Agreed. I've removed my post.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
toadisland

Post by toadisland »

OK, Golly, Thanks and Thanks. I downloaded an upgrade that downgraded my functionality. So I had to downgrade to upgrade to what I had before, and now I'm going to back up again and maybe I'll get another function back.
James

Post by James »

toadisland wrote:OK, Golly, Thanks and Thanks. I downloaded an upgrade that downgraded my functionality. So I had to downgrade to upgrade to what I had before, and now I'm going to back up again and maybe I'll get another function back.
If your only issue with Firefox 57.0 was with the FireFTP extension then why not just use a proper FTP client such as the popular long time running open source FileZilla ftp client (no relation to Mozilla) https://filezilla-project.org/
toadisland

Post by toadisland »

Thanks for the news about FilZilla. I'll look into it. There are other things I miss like 'new tab home page', though for a long time on that one. there may be others. 57 looked rather lean.