I dont want quantum ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
paul11974

I dont want quantum ?

Post by paul11974 »

Do i have to upgrade or can i just stay on my current version ?

I just tried the beta version and although its fast it takes away the look of my current firefox
Sugoi

Re: I dont want quantum ?

Post by Sugoi »

Just disable automatic updates.

Everyone is free to keep using old or outdated software. Whether that is advisable is a different matter.
paul11974

Post by paul11974 »

Thank you i just did that why does quantum not let you keep the same look and feel
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Sugoi wrote:Everyone is free to keep using old or outdated software. Whether that is advisable is a different matter.
In a couple of weeks, lots more people will come to the forums, thinking that only Fx57 is new and not outdated, but there is an alternative that will not change original poster's look and will not be outdated for another 8 months:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
paul11974

Post by paul11974 »

Its a shame as i tried the beta and it looks a lot faster but why oh why do we have to lose the customization that we have created and want to keep ?
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Lots of people on this forum may not look kindly on such a question because they think that just because it was discussed here ad nauseum, that everyone else knows about it.
The truth is that majority of people will ask your question for the first time, in twelve days, when Fx57 Final comes out and they find out the hard way, for the first time, that their profiles do not work and will not work like before, ever again.

We will not have control of Firefox options like before because even if Firefox 57 onward allowed it, which in many cases it does not, because it is more restrictive for security and stability reasons... but nevertheless even if Fx57+ allowed it, massive amounts of time would be needed to rewrite old extensions and who would do that if authors have moved on/lost interest/are dead?
Not all is lost, some extensions have already been ported, and more new extensions will be available in the coming months and years, but if you want to keep what you have, switch to Firefox ESR and turn off updates to it in the second half of 2018.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

paul11974 wrote:Its a shame as i tried the beta and it looks a lot faster but why oh why do we have to lose the customization that we have created and want to keep ?
Depends upon what you mean by "customization"!
A lot can be done with userChrome.css tweaks.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I don't know what the OP meant, but it is my understanding that Quantum versions of Firefox, Fx57+ will never allow custom menus containing custom entries like 'Windows Favorites' and will never allow large custom buttons to be inserted wherever you want, like in the screenshot below ↓, is that correct?

> http://c627627.com/IMG/Other/FirefoxCustomButtons.jpg
Last edited by LIMPET235 on November 3rd, 2017, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore the forum layout.
paul11974

Post by paul11974 »

the-edmeister wrote:
paul11974 wrote:Its a shame as i tried the beta and it looks a lot faster but why oh why do we have to lose the customization that we have created and want to keep ?
Depends upon what you mean by "customization"!
A lot can be done with userChrome.css tweaks.
i have my boomarks inside the browser with drop down menus for each genre ie football , forums ,
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

I also cannot tell if I want Quantum (and am not even sure if "Quantum" implies Firefox 57 and beyond). I am not technically incompetent (after spending 40 years in IT before retiring a few years ago) but I have no comprehension of the internals of Firefox and so really don't understand the changes that are coming with Firefox 57.

I understand the AdBlock Plus is now compatible and the NoScript probably will be. So I'm not worrying there.

I understand that Classic Theme Restorer will not be compatible (cannot be compatible) but I have no idea what other customization features built into FF 57 might take it's place. (Actually, I no longer remember why I even decided to use CTR.) Is there any table mapping CTR functions with natively available features in FF 57?

I understand that Menu Wizard will not be compatible (cannot be compatible?) but, again, I have no idea what other customization features built into FF 57 might take it's place. I use it to swap "Open Link in New Window" with "Open Link in New Tab". Can that be done in some other manner?

FireFTP. I know that downloading can be done withing Firefox without FireFTP and that uploading can be done with many other FTP clients, but FireFTP is pretty well designed. Is there any Firefox-based alternative that works with FF 57?

Sorry to ask questions that may have been asked a billion times already but the answers I've seen have all assumed a greater level of knowledge than I possess.
Patrick O'Keefe
Win11 x64 Pro, FF 113.0.2 TB 102.7.2
c627627

Post by c627627 »

It's okay, more people will ask in a couple of days then all the people put together so far... Quantum is code name for Firefox 57.
People who are worried already have customizations they went out of their way to put in place and old extensions that they "can't do without", so that's why they don't want to lose all that, Fx57 will disable many old extensions and customizations, for security and compatibility reasons.

Many will switch to Firefox ESR instead of Fx57 since Firefox ESR will allow compatibility for another 8 months or so, and they will have more time to figure out what to do.

If you have no specific customizations you went out of your way to setup and you have no old extensions "you can't do without", then that's great, you'll be able to enjoy faster Firefox 57 and everything that comes after that!

If you can't wait another couple of days for Fx 57 to come out, then you can install Firefox 57 Beta and see for yourself.
But in short, it's all about what you went out of your way to customize in your own profile?
Best thing to do is to start fresh and start building a brand new profile when Fx 57 comes out.

Some people can't do that because their entire browsing experience is cemented into complete customization control, even if it comes at the expense of security, so they will first switch to Firefox ESR, and in 8 months stay with ESR (fully aware of security risks) - unless something else emerges as an alternative, but that's something we will really only fully know in July of 2018, after Firefox ESR is no longer a solution because ESR itself will become "Quantumized" then.
carolgot1

Post by carolgot1 »

I basically retained my original look. I replace some old extensions with new 57 + ones (Styles, Gesturefy, etc.) I am waiting for an extension like colorful tabs to come along and I will be set. It is blazing fast! Just create a new 57 + profile and copy your old contents into it. A lot will be saved but, extensions will be lost. You can add to userchrome.css for fine tuning .ie. tabs on bottom, tabs bold, side bar, etc.) You need to know the procedure for doing the above or you can screw it up. An image backup will give you absolute security should something go wrong. Believe me it is worth the effort! And, you can get execellent support from the chaps on this forum.
paul11974

Post by paul11974 »

Sod it i have made the switch i wanted to keep favicons for my drop down bookmarks but was unable to but i can now live without this. It def is so much faster