Tired of restarting SM.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
webmoebius

Re: Tired of restarting SM.

Post by webmoebius »

therube wrote:As a start, disable Flash, or at least set it to Ask.
I find the need for Flash becoming rarer & rarer. Maybe you can (mostly) do away with it too.

Other (picture) animations can be "heavy" too.
You can set them to play once, or disable altogether.
(But then there are times you might actually want to see the content, & may not even realize it is there.)

HTML5 "video" (or otherwise) is something else yet again.
I still regularly view Flash for video content and in fact I made sure that the SM configuration is set not to ask - extremely annoying. However, there are other elements on the page that will trigger the plug-in-container.exe loading, or there's some heavy Javascript timer on some pages that causes SM to suck up RAM resources very quickly. Animated GIFs don't suck up more RAM once they are loaded, only CPU cycles. I have them animate once only. HTML-5 video is fine on SM and is most of my video viewing, such as on You Tube. But SM 2.49.1's faster Javascript performance has made things less painful.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

webmoebius wrote:I still regularly view Flash for video content and in fact I made sure that the SM configuration is set not to ask - extremely annoying.
You are hardly unique in needing to view Flash content, but it's pretty damn silly to set Flash not to Ask to Activate and then complain about RAM use because of uncontrolled Flash content running everywhere!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

^^ I have most of that set, but the problem is they still load, consuming bandwidth and memory. I would prefer SM prevent those elements from downloading at all.

I can stop them to some degree with other utilities, but not completely.

The bane of the web is autoplay audio and video that is infesting news and other sites. I've pretty much stopped going to all news sites because of it. Browsers need to find a way to totally disable ALL autoplay video and audio regardless of source or method employed.
scott-cam

Post by scott-cam »

Wish You Were Here wrote:The bane of the web is autoplay audio and video that is infesting news and other sites. I've pretty much stopped going to all news sites because of it. Browsers need to find a way to totally disable ALL autoplay video and audio regardless of source or method employed.
Have you set media.autoplay.enabled in about:config to False? Works on some sites.
Wish You Were Here

I would also prefer to block ALL Flash content from all sources. However there are still some incompetent web page developers that seem incapable of properly coding their pages without it. Some are using it for forms entries and other things that render the page unusable if you have it turned off.
Wish You Were Here

scott-cam wrote:Have you set media.autoplay.enabled in about:config to False? Works on some sites.

Wasn't aware of that one, but I just changed it, so we'll see what happens. Don't know if it will block downloading the content or not though.

I don't get into the Config too much because I'm not sure about side effects.
scott-cam

Post by scott-cam »

Wish You Were Here wrote:Don't know if it will block downloading the content or not though.
I don't know about that either, but at least it stops those sites driving me nuts with their video autoplay.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

There is a nice toggle button extension that will toggle media autoplay. I am using it quite happily.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... startless/
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

Frank Lion wrote:
webmoebius wrote:I still regularly view Flash for video content and in fact I made sure that the SM configuration is set not to ask - extremely annoying.
You are hardly unique in needing to view Flash content, but it's pretty damn silly to set Flash not to Ask to Activate and then complain about RAM use because of uncontrolled Flash content running everywhere!
As I said in the post you replied to, there are many other elements in a web page that will cause SM to consume system resources / RAM rapidly while at the same time SM performs poorly RELEASING them. This is the main problem. If SM did release resources fully and quickly, then closing a browser tab would solve that problem, but SM does not and as a result only a full shut down and restart will work, as long as I shut down the SM suite before the RAM consumption is so great that the SM suite locks up. Most of the time, the ad banners aren't Flash anyway, and there are quite a few that are using non-Flash videos in banners, such as WEBM. Those I can stop by right clicking them and stopping or pausing the video. But Flash isn't it only page component that triggers the loading of plug-in-container.exe which was designed to act as a crash buffer for plug-ins that previously crashed which would have brought down the entire SM suite. When a plug in crashes as launched by plug-in-container.exe, only plug-in-container.exe crashes without crashing seamonkey.exe and the SM suite continues to run. SM remains very poor in properly recovering and releasing RAM resources. I normally have at least several browser tabs open and sometimes up to a dozen or more, briefly.
JohnB_XP

Post by JohnB_XP »

I've noticed the high ram usage but it'd be fine if I close + save the window and reopen it.
Proud BlackBerry and SeaMonkey user!