Alternatives to addons not compatible with Quantom?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
G00dfella

Alternatives to addons not compatible with Quantom?

Post by G00dfella »

I'm looking for an add-on that lets me display icons only for the bookmarks. I used Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar for that, but it's not compatible with Quantom yet.

Also looking for an alternative to Menu Wizard or Menu Edit, which are addons that allowed you to edit the context menus whichever way you wanted. Quantum seems to kill that possibility though so I'm not optimistic. :roll:

One thing I liked about Tab Mix Plus is that I could choose which links to open in foreground or background, like a bookmarks folder. Any alternatives?

Oh and since FF57 is unusable for me I decided to reinstall 56.0.2 and turn off automatic updates, and still it's automatically updated to 57 whenever I restart it. :roll:
Brummelchen

Re: Alternatives to addons not compatible with Quantom?

Post by Brummelchen »

about:config

bookmarks -> new tab -> browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs <- true
search -> new tab -> browser.search.openintab <- true

menu editors = dead, not possible, no longer allowed (from my view not needed)
links to open in foreground or background
use firefox feature
or "tap to tab"

it is possible to replace TMP with other extensions, not complete but in most parts. no teardrops from me.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

G00dfella wrote:I'm looking for an add-on that lets me display icons only for the bookmarks.
Presumably just on the bookmarks toolbar, since it wouldn't make much sense anywhere else. Add this to your userChrome.css then restart Firefox.

Code: Select all

#PlacesToolbarItems toolbarbutton.bookmark-item > label { display: none !important; }
G00dfella wrote:Also looking for an alternative to Menu Wizard or Menu Edit
Use userChrome.css to hide unwanted menu items. Use the built-in Browser Toolbox to find out which CSS selectors to use. I'm pretty sure webextensions won't ever be allowed to modify the UI like Menu Wizard and others.
G00dfella wrote:One thing I liked about Tab Mix Plus is that I could choose which links to open in foreground or background, like a bookmarks folder. Any alternatives?
Background tab: Middle-click or Ctrl+Left-click
Foreground tab: Shift+Middle-click or Ctrl+Shift+Left-click
The aforementioned browser.search.openintab and browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs about:config preferences.
G00dfella wrote:Oh and since FF57 is unusable for me I decided to reinstall 56.0.2
The worst thing you could do, unless you restore your profile from a pre-57 backup.
G00dfella wrote:and turn off automatic updates, and still it's automatically updated to 57 whenever I restart it. :roll:
You must have an update already downloaded; turning off automatic updates at that stage isn't going to prevent it from being installed.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on November 20th, 2017, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
G00dfella

Post by G00dfella »

Alrighty then. I've decided to give up Menu Wizard although that was painful and I thought I was ready to accept FF57 until the computer froze when I decided to restore a previous session. Sure it was a lot of tabs, but why the hell is it loading them all? They were unloaded at startup on the previous versions, which worked just fine, but now it has gone full Chrome/retard?
What the hell? Surely I should be able to choose to have them unloaded until I click on them?
G00dfella

Post by G00dfella »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
G00dfella wrote:I'm looking for an add-on that lets me display icons only for the bookmarks.
Presumably just on the bookmarks toolbar, since it wouldn't make much sense anywhere else. Add this to your userChrome.css then restart Firefox.

toolbarbutton.bookmark-item > label { display: none !important; }
Thanks!
It took away the label for the Recently Closed Tabs as well though, which has practically rendered that function useless. :|
Gingerbread Man wrote: Use userChrome.css to hide unwanted menu items. Use the built-in Browser Toolbox to find out which CSS selectors to use. I'm pretty sure webextensions won't ever be allowed to modify the UI like Menu Wizard and others.
Again, appreciate your help.
But this wasn't as easy as I had hoped.
I've enabled the Browser Toolbox, but I'm clueless about the rest.
Let's say I want to hide the context menu for Nimbus Screen Capture. How do I do that?
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

G00dfella wrote:It took away the label for the Recently Closed Tabs as well though, which has practically rendered that function useless. :|
Replace it with the updated style in the same post above. If there's still some problem with that, see if someone else's code works better.
G00dfella wrote:Let's say I want to hide the context menu for Nimbus Screen Capture. How do I do that?
I don't see any context menu for Nimbus Screen Capture, only a toolbar button. This should work for most web page context menu items; just put some text to search for in between the quotation marks.

#contentAreaContextMenu menuitem[label*="A keyword to search for"] { display: none !important; }
G00dfella wrote:Surely I should be able to choose to have them unloaded until I click on them?
Not only is that the default setting, but there's no longer an option to change it because it caused problems with e10s. In about:config, make sure browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand is true. It doesn't apply to pinned tabs; that's browser.sessionstore.restore_pinned_tabs_on_demand which by default is false (pinned tabs always loaded).