Trash folder deleting my messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
OTBAT

Trash folder deleting my messages

Post by OTBAT »

I use TB for 5 different email accounts. 52.4.0
This one in particular has messages from 2012....well, had.
Now everything is gone from the trash folder, from a week ago...and beyond. I use the folder for reference of past orders etc.
I don't want the messages to go anywhere. I am familiar with the server settings and have tried a few things but nothing works.
I added an ipad as a new device a month or so ago...and that's when the trouble started...but I changed no settings on the pc.
when I try to give direction to where I want a deleted email to go and point it to the trash...it works...but then the command does not stick when I close TB and reopen .
Can anyone point me to the obvious?
thank you
DanRaisch

Re: Trash folder deleting my messages

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If both your PC and the iPad have the same IMAP account that means they share the same trash folder. So if your iPad empties the trash its emptied for the PC too.

Does this problem occur if the iPad is turned off, you run Thunderbird, delete something, exit and restart Thunderbird?

Does this problem occur for all 5 accounts?

What exactly do you mean by the command does not stick? Do you mean that it doesn't remember the setting for "when I delete a message"?

Is "empty trash on exit" checked in the accounts server settings?
OTBAT

Post by OTBAT »

The account is set up as imap on Thunderbird on my PC Dan.

It does not happen for all 5 accounts...just the one.
Yes correct, the command doesn't stick, as in it changes back as if I didn't click it.
Empty items on exit is not checked.
It started with the introduction of my iPad so I knwo that has to be it. I think the answer lies in its settings so i see what you are saying tanstaafl.
So should I be going into my iPad and changing the settings of the account to ditch imap?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

IMAP accounts are designed to let multiple devices share the same mailbox/account. You might be able to workaround this problem by switching to POP on Thunderbird, but you lose a lot of useful functionality if you do that.

See if the email client on the iPad lets you specify what should be done when a message is deleted. Thunderbird offers 3 choices (move to trash, mark as deleted, remove it immediately). The iPad might be doing the equivalent of remove it immediately, and effectively emptying your trash folder. When you delete a message using the iPad what happens?

If you can't change the setting on the iPad consider changing the setting on Thunderbird to match the iPad's behavior, so at least you aren't surprised. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_mess ... P_accounts
OTBAT

Post by OTBAT »

thanks for taking the time tans.
Ill check the ipad settings when I get to my shop. Makes sense to me