Consensus on 57?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
L.A.R. Grizzly

Re: Consensus on 57?

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Oma1942 wrote:The most important reason for me to use ESR and Pale Moon is to have and keep my treasured (10) extensions (the majority of them not being transported and probably never will) and that is it.
Another thing I like is Moonchild is still updating FossaMail (although it's officially no longer viable). I use it instead of Thunderbird.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moonchild is still updating FossaMail (although it's officially no longer viable). I use it instead of Thunderbird.
Which actually has nothing to do with browsers, so I think we're getting off topic here.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Have tried practically every browser out there. :shock:
Am really liking Firefox 57 and with just a few css tweaks and a theme(Persona) I've got it looking just the way I like it. ;)
It's fast and so far I haven't had any issues with it whilst using it.
Have also used Firefox since the very beginning. I don't use any add-ons at the moment.
Also use SeaMonkey too for browsing. Very, very happy with both browsers. :)
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I quit using Palemoon because Roboform stopped working with it and I'm liking 57 fine. Anyway, use whatever works for you.
jdopple

Post by jdopple »

Took some tweaking (not for the faint hearted) but loving it.

Very fast, even on my 6 year old Win 7 box.
Sugoi

Post by Sugoi »

Took me a bit of getting used to but all in all I like FF57 very much.
efox99

Post by efox99 »

Consensus? It's magically delicious.

I lost all my about:config settings. I was on 52 ESR and upgraded to FF57 and it refreshed and I lost everything except bookmarks and passwords.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Copy/paste your user profile and you can restore what you lose in a fraction of a second by copy/pasting it back.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
efox99

Post by efox99 »

c627627 wrote:Copy/paste your user profile and you can restore what you lose in a fraction of a second by copy/pasting it back.
Thanks I appreciate the advice :wink:
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks all for that helpful feedback.

I'm still reluctant to update, but will shortly try the 'portable' suggestion. Some reasons for my hesitation:

- Familiarity with 56 and no major gripes; 'if it ain't broke...'.
- Begrudge the time it will need to familiarise, tweak and investigate impact on my many extensions.
- Especially dependent on Tab Mix Plus
- Admittedly not searched hard, but so far have not seen compelling new attractions.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Win 10 Pro, Waterfox 56.1.0 replaced Firefox 56.0.2, TMP 0.5.0.5pre
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Terry, Sorry to say, but TMP will not be ported.
But, I believe there are some .css options.
You may want to check it's fora.
> http://tabmixplus.org/forum/
> http://tabmixplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19932
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
katoda

Post by katoda »

Grumpus wrote:. . . if I could only update NoScript to stop all these annoying page ads from Google,
Now you can. NoScript developer just released a WebExtension compatible version https://noscript.net/getit
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

terrypin wrote:Thanks all for that helpful feedback.

I'm still reluctant to update, but will shortly try the 'portable' suggestion. Some reasons for my hesitation:

- Familiarity with 56 and no major gripes; 'if it ain't broke...'.
- Begrudge the time it will need to familiarise, tweak and investigate impact on my many extensions.
- Especially dependent on Tab Mix Plus
- Admittedly not searched hard, but so far have not seen compelling new attractions.

What are you going to do as more new versions of Firefox are released? Just never update again? That isn't a wise thing to do - never updating Firefox again, that is.

Install Portable Firefox 57 and slowly get accustomed to using it. See what extensions are available and how they may differ from their Legacy versions. Or look for replacement WebExtensions from different developers. When you tire of using it, close it and open Firefox 56.0.2 for awhile.

As far as TabMix Plus goes, do you know exactly what features you use from that extension?
Write a list of the features that you "need" and then look for a suitable alternative WebExtensions that have those features. You won't get a perfect match, but a 75% match might be possible.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Thanks katoda :) . . . update does not appear to be working in Ubuntu 14.4.5LTS version of 57.
Some form of exception issue. Emailed Giorgio
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
katoda

Post by katoda »

Small off-topic - until it get fixed, try uMatrix - I was in the same situation and this add-on served me well as NoScript replacement.